Thread: Need something better than the TomTom One

Thanks

Default Need something better than the TomTom One

Hi All,

Maybe it's a case of the grass always being greener but I'm looking to buy a new GPS.

What I have is a Tom Tom One that's a couple of years old... don't actually know which version (always had trouble figuring out which was which).

Anyway the lousy touch screen is driving me crazy! I can't type on it. even if I try using a stylus, I seem to end up with the wrong characters half the time. It also has a tendency to lock up or sometimes just not even boot.

This isn't my first GPS or even my first Tom Tom for that matter but I really dislike this unit.

Right now Im tempted by the Navman MY50T only because it seems to provide good bang for the buck but I remember my last Navman had doubtful maps once you got out of the city and an awful lag that made me sell it and move to Tom Tom.

Garmin might be a good alternative but they seem a little overpriced...

Anyway, at the risk of this being yet another "what should I buy" thread, any recommendations for a step up to a touch screen that works? I'm trying to spend under $300 if I can.

Cheers
    Jeff K

Look Here ->
    Thanks

jeff, i dont want to stear you away from brand name gps units, however have you looked at the chinese PNA ? click on the link in my signature...

I take it your into Hand held PNA's ?? you can get them chinese brands as well.

dont get me wrong, some people dont like no name ones, and thats understandable, you get what you pay for.. there is nothing wrong with good brand name one. a lot of people have the tomtom XL these days...

here is what my car GPS looks like

it seems that your touch screen needs to be recalibrated, but i dont know how to do that, as i dont have a tomtom PNA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

@ hollowman : I knew you are a bit sick when it come to GPS ,but that is overkill!!!
    Who need so many GPS solutions on one device - or are you selling them to confuse some users?
    rofl

Some ppl collect DVD's and video games ,other collect GPS software and maps
    How about you make a fullbackup for the poor users with only one brand on the device ?

Ok ,back to topic :
    @jeffk : if you want something different (or better) than you need to know what you want !
    If it is just for Navigation a simple device is enough.
    For a bit more joy ,like handsfree calling ,MP3 ,video and so on you need a better device.
    In any case stay away from Navman : you can't crack the maps and have to buy them for top dollar!
    I think in the Tomtom corner the GO720 is still the best value for money - even 2nd hand.
    Garmin is ok if you need more than car navigation ,let's say for the boat of hiking - but you have to choose the right device!

The Chinese devices mentioned by our friend hollowman can be good ,but also very tricky.
    Tomtom is in my opinion outdated for Windows.
    The other aspect is value of the car and the car stereo as well as the position in the dash board!
    I don't see a reason to replace for example a high end Pioneer ,Sony or Kenwwod system with a Chinese radio GPS.
    If you are looking into upgrading your old no-name stereo : perfect!
    But I recommend quality and not quantity :
    You get the standard devices with 480x272 pixel screen but also the good ones with 800x600 or even higher resolution!
    A 7" screen with the same resolution like a standard Tomtom is not worth the money.
    In the end you want to watch movies too - and there you notice the difference most.
    Make sure to buy a reversing cam as well ,makes sense if you are already in the guts of your car - connect it to the radio and enjoy
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    @ hollowman : I knew you are a bit sick when it come to GPS ,but that is overkill!!!
    Who need so many GPS solutions on one device - or are you selling them to confuse some users?
    rofl

Some ppl collect DVD's and video games ,other collect GPS software and maps
    How about you make a fullbackup for the poor users with only one brand on the device ?
    DU, i told you i was sick, why didn't you beleive me ?
    BTW, i collect DVD's too LOL

DU is right, you need to know what you want...
    tomtom go or XL is great and good quality. i want a tomtom PNA myself but can't justify buying one coz i have gps units coming out of my ass.
    but if your sick like me, buy a chinese one with a camera.. actually, i need to get around to getting a camera myself, i should of done it in the first place !!

TOMTOM is pretty much usless to me at the moment, as tt does not support PDA anymore (or windows CE) - so if you like tomtom and want to keep it up to date, then you'll need to buy a tomtom device/PAN.... the tomtom devices run some sort of linux OS, so thats why they dont work on PDA/WINCE anymore....

as for the resolution of the car GPS units, it stats that the res is 480x272 but only displays 330x240 and stretches it to 480... then it looks washed out............ although im used to it and it doesn't look as bad as it sounds. still does the job for cheap ..
    im not sure if the newer models are like this still ? but my one is about 6 months old..
    Last edited by hollowman; 05-01-10 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys...

I'm usually more than happy to have tricky, cutting edge gadgets but in this case, all i want to do is stick something on the windshield that lets me navigate from point A to B, not get lost, and be able to actually enter the destination without stress...

Cheers
    Jeff K

Thanks

no worries, maybe one day u can buy a cutting edge chinese gps for $100 and play with it

Thanks

I don't know if you know ,but you can ue the latest 9.025 Navcore on and older ONE if you want.
    Together with the latest maps you will get the same Navigation comfort like on any actual TT model.
    Only downside is that is the Loquendo voices don't work for is that you have to use Vocalizer voices or just standard and celebrity voices.
    If you want to try something else like IGO I suggest to get one these cheap 5" PNA's off Ebay.
    They are sometimes even unlocked already (or you can ask the seller nicely to do that for you).
    They offer good value for money and hollowman has all you need to "pimp your GPS"
    Just make sure the device supports SDHC cards .

Thanks

DU sorry to be a noob, but what is vocalizer ?
    i know that Loquendo is TTS

Thanks

@Hollowman: Yes, I can guarantee I'll be owning a cutting edge Chinese GPS fairly soon :-) but I'm directionally challenged and prior to my first GPS couldn't go further than the local shops without my wife in the car to guide me, so I'm looking for something I can take from car to car that just works first time every time.

@DU35: Hacking in the latest Navcore will probably be a nice side project while I'm at work today but I'll still have a GPS with an abysmal touch screen. I noticed that DSE have the XL out for $198 this week so I thought I might try that to see if was any better to type on.

Does anyone happen to have a link to some good, clear instructions on updating the Navcore? Went looking yesterday but didn't find any really clear instructions...

...and I'll go one up on Hollowman's question, cause I don't have a clue what Loquendo voices are, although I'll assume that vocalizer voices are the computer generated ones?

Cheers
    Jeff K

Thanks

For a Tomtom :
    1. big screen
    2. 64MB Ram
    3. SD card slot

Instructions can be found in my tutorials

Vocalizer is a simple version of computer voices ,they don't sound that natural but use far less free RAM than the Loquendo voices.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

hollowman (10-01-10)

• 06-01-10, 10:52 AM

Reason
    spammer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Only downside is that is the Loquendo voices don't work for is that you have to use Vocalizer voices or just standard and celebrity voices.
    I've got a TomTom One v3 running navcore 9.025.477770 SE, 840.2562 map with Loquendo voices. v7 Loquendo are a little slow but any of the v6 voices work perfectly.

Have to use X40light emulation... I assume to free up enough RAM... for it all to work. Free RAM is 6.5Mb.

schlong

Thanks

Nice job !!

Thanks

OK, I now have Navcore 9.025 on my One V3. I'm at works so I can't really test anything until I get home but so far so good in that it boots. Booting is taking a very long time but it gets there.

Currently I have

Navcore: 9.025.477770.2
    32mb RAM with 6.7mb Free
    Bootloader v 5.5011
    Map: v815.2059

Cheers
    Jeff K

Thanks

Maybe you should try the 9.026 Navcore instead if you have problems with the 9.025...

Ahh ,I see ,my fault : the Navcore is not posted yet
    Will do that straight away

Thanks

Navcore 9.026 boots much faster :-) I now have that and map version 840.2561 running on the One. Have used it a couple of times today and all seems well.

And just to revisit the original topic, I ended up getting a Garmin 255w to play with from JB Hi-Fi for $167.

Thanks for the help...

Thanks

good work.
    I have the latest map for that if your one is not the latest..

i have 2010.20