Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional WA to get Channel 10 this year

Thanks

Default Regional WA to get Channel 10 this year

From

"In a major exclusive I can reveal through eBroadcast TVAUSCAST that regional Western Australia will finally get a third commercial television station. Prime Television CEO, Doug Edwards talked to me about multi channelling in Western Australia, why 7TWO was delayed in some parts of Australia and dishes the dirt on that ugly watermark that is appearing on screen."

I presume this will be on D1? So other states can now get a -2/-3 Channel 10.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Sounds like a rehash of this from the Australian Communications and Media Authority from last year.

So GWN and WIN better hurry up and get Ten WA on the air .
    As for it being on DVB-T there is only one commercial transmitter in country WA and no mention of it being on satellite for Aurora viewers.
    Last edited by dryfry; 23-01-10 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks

It sounded like it was to be put up on D1.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    From

"In a major exclusive I can reveal through eBroadcast TVAUSCAST that regional Western Australia will finally get a third commercial television station. Prime Television CEO, Doug Edwards talked to me about multi channelling in Western Australia, why 7TWO was delayed in some parts of Australia and dishes the dirt on that ugly watermark that is appearing on screen."

I presume this will be on D1? So other states can now get a -2/-3 Channel 10.
    Thanks for the heads up. Interesting article and a good read.

I'm a little confused. The article starts off by saying there isn't a timeline yet. But around half way through the article, the author confidently states that Ten West begins in June. Hmm...

Also, I too reckon it will be on D1 for retransmission on the terrestrial transmitters. It will probably also be simulcasted on C1/D3 as part of the new satellite service. I think it's safe to say Aurora is dead and won't have any involvement in this.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The June quoted starting time is still consistent with the current so called 'Digital Changeover' under way in Mildura which is quoted as being completed by June 30 2010.

While Mildura and WA are not next door neighbors, what happens in Mildura over the next months is I believe is the key to the proposal.
    At this time we still havent heard EXACTLY what is planned to meet Sen Steven Conroy's proclaimed plan of 'Digital TV for ALL Australians'.
    All we are still seeing is repeats and rehashing but NOTHING in substance.

Common sense tells us that nothing was going to happen on January 1, 2010 and with the Xmas and New Year Holidays/Annual Leaves/ Australia day Holiday/ End of Summer School Holidays in January, bugger all of anything important other than Fires, Floods and Bushfires will happen untill February when things return to normal. like TV ratings, Home and Away, Deal or No Deal recommence.

All we can do now is wait and watch and try to sort out the Old from the Now information regarding 'Digital FTA TV by Satelitte' over the comming weeks.

PS/ The Electoral Office is calling for people to either enrol or check their current staus for a possible FEDERAL election towards the end of the year.
    THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-01-10 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The June quoted starting time is still consistent with the current so called 'Digital Changeover' under way in Mildura which is quoted as being completed by June 30 2010.

While Mildura and WA are not next door neighbors, what happens in Mildura over the next months is I believe is the key to the proposal.
    At this time we still havent heard EXACTLY what is planned to meet Sen Steven Conroy's proclaimed plan of 'Digital TV for ALL Australians'.
    All we are still seeing is repeats and rehashing but NOTHING in substance.

Common sense tells us that nothing was going to happen on January 1, 2010 and with the Xmas and New Year Holidays/Annual Leaves/ Australia day Holiday/ End of Summer School Holidays in January, bugger all of anything important other than Fires, Floods and Bushfires will happen untill February when things return to normal. like TV ratings, Home and Away, Deal or No Deal recommence.

All we can do now is wait and watch and try to sort out the Old from the Now information regarding 'Digital FTA TV by Satelitte' over the comming weeks.

PS/ The Electoral Office is calling for people to either enrol or check their current staus for a possible FEDERAL election towards the end of the year.
    THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!
    I know this may sound mean spirited but I hope 10 does'nt go on Aurora. Any attempts to resuccitate this beast must be resisted. The folks in remote WA deserve a decent capital city based digital service with all of the 15 channels, HD etc. Putting any digitally based service on Aurora now is like putting a silk puse on a sows ear. For the time being, remote WA viewers should be given access to D1 where GWN WIN ABC and SBS (and hopefully channel 10) are available in widescreen.

Thanks

Sounds like a good news. Channel is one of the most popular Channel in OZ, better then ABC at least...
    Shit! Bigpond told me that is ADSL2+!!!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1246500658.png

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Also, I too reckon it will be on D1 for retransmission on the terrestrial transmitters.
    None of the new FTA channels will be on D1. There just isn't any room.
    All the new FTA re-transmissions will be on C1/D3. Specifically the vertical transponders of D3.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    From
    I couldn't help but laugh at the bottom of that page:

"As mentioned above the rollout of digital in WA will be the fastest of anywhere in the world. Pre 2000, regional WA had access to GWN and the ABC with only some parts receiving SBS. The rollout of digital and HD services in metro areas has been a slow gradual process but regional WA will go from a small handful of channels including only two commercial channels to the full range of channels include all the multi channels and the new ones set to launch this year in a matter of around 18 months. It is a massive task costing tens of millions of dollars which requires close consultation with the government."
    Biggest load of BS I've read for a while. It's hilarious that the crappy pathetic excuse for regional broadcasters should falsely start claiming that they have the fastest rollout in the world when they have sat on their fat asses for 9 years (after metro stations started) and done nothing!
    Oh, but then more BS by claiming that metro stations have had a "slow gradual process"! Metro stations all started with widescreen SD and HD on 1/1/2001. Nearly a full decade before the regionals! Slow my ass. Multicasting with a 2nd SD channel was only legally allowed at the start of 2009 so nothing could be done before that in metro areas.

It's frankly insulting to all regional viewers for a broadcaster that has done absolutely nothing for a decade to suddenly start claiming that they have the best digital tv deployment performance.
    Whoever is spruiking that nonsense needs to have a digital STB firmly shoved up their ass.

• The Following User Says Thank You to satdancer For This Useful Post:

BlackDuck (24-01-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Firstly I think we are too focused on the name 'Aurora' being something special when it in itself is no different to the now long forgotten and unlamented B-Mac service.
    It is only a covenient name that like many can be soon changed.
    There is an Aurora on Austar which I cant see has any connection to the other.
    Which of the 3 satelittes D1,D2 or C1/D3 (count C1/D3 as ONE) is up to whoever makes the decisions.
    Because the current Aurora service is on C1 you would think its the obvious choice for the Digital FTA but I aint guessing as I dont know.
    It makes no sense to have D1 FTA with all the ABC/SBS services and then limit those on C1/D3 and encrypt them.
    But then, since when does sense play a part in many decisions.
    Quoted by Davmel :
    It's frankly insulting to all regional viewers for a broadcaster that has done absolutely nothing for a decade to suddenly start claiming that they have the best digital tv deployment performance.

Whoever is spruiking that nonsense needs to have a digital STB firmly shoved up their ass: unquote.
    Davmel has very succintly expressed the thoughts of many Regional Viewers but I wouldnt waste a working STB but rather something as useless as the person who made these comments.
    But we must always remember that neither Journalistic nor Polictical Hype has any boundries and rarely equates to the realities being expressed.

Thanks

Seeing as Ten West is a joint venture between GWN and Win TV, I would expect it to first appear on D1 12424H as a feed for their Terrestrial Transmitters. If it also appears on the current outdated Aurora Platform, that would be a Bonus for Remote DTH Viewers
    Don't let the number of posts fool you :-)

Thanks

Its a bonus to the extent that remote viewers have no FTA options other than the crappy analogue stuff masquerading as digital on Aurora.

It pisses me off that to get a HD widescreen fix, I have to pay for it on Austar, however at the moment, anything's better than Aurora.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davmel View Post
    None of the new FTA channels will be on D1. There just isn't any room.
    All the new FTA re-transmissions will be on C1/D3. Specifically the vertical transponders of D3.
    Just back it up there a bit Davmel - I'm referring to Ten West only.

All network-owned terrestrial sites in WA currently point to D1. I think you'll find that Ten West will be on there too, next to the WIN and GWN feeds. As for all the other direct-to-home multi-channels promised to regional areas... that's another story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Just back it up there a bit Davmel - I'm referring to Ten West only.

All network-owned terrestrial sites in WA currently point to D1. I think you'll find that Ten West will be on there too, next to the WIN and GWN feeds. As for all the other direct-to-home multi-channels promised to regional areas... that's another story.
    Yeah, but Ten West will have to provide One and One HD etc to their terrestrial transmission sites soon and there isn't the capacity on D1 to provide that.
    The only solution is for the feeds (which will be available for remote sat viewers) to move from D1 to D3 where there is available room. The terrestrial re-transmission site downlink dishes will therefore at some time need to be repointed towards D3.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, but Ten West will have to provide One and One HD etc to their terrestrial transmission sites soon and there isn't the capacity on D1 to provide that.
    The only solution is for the feeds (which will be available for remote sat viewers) to move from D1 to D3 where there is available room. The terrestrial re-transmission site downlink dishes will therefore at some time need to be repointed towards D3.
    Good point, I suppose. I just can't see yet another dish-realignment and provision for two more digital mux's for all sites within the space of 5 months. GWN and WIN will utilize their D1 transponder for the three primary channels until a full roll-out of all Freeview services later down the track.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

plenty of room on d1 if they get rid of the duplicated feeds and the kiwi crap....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (27-01-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

I hate to say this but none of us know just exactly what is available (space) on the 4 satelittes and what plans Optus has for using them.
    Some time ago all the Aircraft Control Towers were linked by satelitte but with the intention it was to be sent terrestialy by cable/microwave etc eventualy thus freeing up space for something else.
    I have to agree that they just wont go racing out wildy re-aiming this dish here and that dish there without very serious planning occuring first.
    Of course this should have already been considered and either the current dish is capable of receiving 2 Satelittes (We do it) or another dish is already in place.Backup maybe?
    When D3 went up, everyone knew it was to expand the PayTV service and a lot of educated guesses were made but untill the 'Channel Migration' began, no one really knew how.
    A lot of these ground locations are owned by the MacQuarie Bank it seems so they may not be overly concerned about the costs involved redoing dish realignments but then, they dont get rich by not keeping costs under control.

Its a bit like a bad case of Constipation, a God-Awefull lot of too-ing and Fro-ing but nothing is moo-ving. (pun Intended)
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-01-10 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

I hate to say this but none of us know just exactly what is available (space) on the 4 satelittes and what plans Optus has for using them.
    When D3 went up, everyone knew it was to expand the PayTV service and a lot of educated guesses were made but untill the 'Channel Migration' began, no one really knew how.
    You'll find all the details you need to know about C1/D3 in the PDF's on Foxtel's website. Particularly the installer manual for MDU's and the Transparent Digital Transmodulator Network Spec. It shows the future transponder plans so that adequate planning can be made for TDT installs which can't be remotely altered by Foxtel.

Premium Member

Thanks

I will go and read the info shorly but does this cover EVERY transponder on C1/D3, D1 and D2 or only those that Foxtel/Austar have use of ?
    While I am sure the PayTV/Aurora is a major single user, it is not the only user of the 4 available satelittes.
    As I remember when C1 went up and Singtel bought out Optus, there were major concerns of a Foreign ownership because of the Military transmissions that it was going to carry.
    I doubt Foxtel have any interest in that allocation.
    Also as Foxtel seemingly has no interest in D1/D2, does this also cover the tranponder allocation on those satelittes?
    Even though they generaly list all the goodies on a Satelitte, can anybody tell me that they MAY have a transponder or 2 not listed for public information ?
    By this I mean channels for secure communication that can be relocated from an older to a newer satelitte for obvious reasons which then allow those channels to be used for less important Commercial operators.
    The NSW State Railways are tracking trains and some road vehicles as well as maintaining communication via satelitte and I guess other transport systems are doing the same but on what sateliites ??
    If by Optus on D1,D2/C1/D3, again I doubt it would appear in any Foxtel Installers manual but I could be wrong.

Thanks

I will go and read the info shorly but does this cover EVERY transponder on C1/D3, D1 and D2 or only those that Foxtel/Austar have use of ?
    It shows all the Ku band transponders on C1/D3. The TDT manual shows which transponders are leased by Foxtel, the two that are leased but spare currently, and provision for the 6 extra D3 vertical transponders that it has an option to lease from Optus if it wants them.
    D1 & D2 specs are available elsewhere and have nothing to do with Foxtel.

While I am sure the PayTV/Aurora is a major single user, it is not the only user of the 4 available satelittes.
    As I remember when C1 went up and Singtel bought out Optus, there were major concerns of a Foreign ownership because of the Military transmissions that it was going to carry.
    The military side and other applications are completely irreelevant as they don't use the Ku band downlink which is the only one available for use to DTH and tv feed sat delivery.

Also as Foxtel seemingly has no interest in D1/D2, does this also cover the tranponder allocation on those satelittes?
    No, Foxtel has no details on those sats since they have no plans to lease any capacity on them.
    You can find the full list of Ku band transponder frequencies of both D1/D2 on the Optus website:

page 12 of the PDF.
    A quick look at Lyngsat will show you what is used and what is spare. All the transponders used for VSAT Optus data products aren't shown but it's safe to assume they are actively used or reserved for more lucrative VSAT customers.

Even though they generaly list all the goodies on a Satelitte, can anybody tell me that they MAY have a transponder or 2 not listed for public information ?
    Aside from the military payload of C1, what would the point of that be? To make life difficult for installers?
    The full list of transmitters including the narrowband telemetry links are listed.

By this I mean channels for secure communication that can be relocated from an older to a newer satelitte for obvious reasons which then allow those channels to be used for less important Commercial operators.
    The high power DTH wideband transponders and other transponders are fixed in frequency. It's not possible to rewire or change them unless you brought the sat back down to earth.

The NSW State Railways are tracking trains and some road vehicles as well as maintaining communication via satelitte and I guess other transport systems are doing the same but on what sateliites ??
    Most of Railcorp's comms is done via the ex-One.tel 1800 band terrestrial spectrum (soon to be upgraded to a fully GSM-R compliant full coverage network) and their extensive analogue Metronet spectrum in the 400MHz band which will soon be disbanded once GSM-R fully takes over.
    Railcorp does use a limited number of VSAT terminals. I don't know if they have dedicated allocations on both D1 or D2 or both.
    And yes there are a huge number of customers using D1 & D2 for private remote comms (even the Antarctic bases have VSAT terminals with dishes pointed at D1 & D2 for comms back to oz).

D1/2/3 are wide transponder Ku band only platforms. The military payload of C1 operating in the UHF/X/L band isn't suitable for commercial operators and wouldn't ever be made available as that payload is directly controlled by the Navy groundstation in Canberra.
    Approx ~30% of D1 and most of D2 is reserved for Optus data services through VSAT terminals (up to 2 Mbps channels) or entire or partial transponders are available for DVB-S transmission. I just can't see that the regional TV networks are going to continue leasing partial transponders on D1 when the government is going to fund transmission via D3.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast