Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jan 2010 Update On National FTA Blackspot Satellite Service

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Default Jan 2010 Update On National FTA Blackspot Satellite Service

Here we go again:

Another statement from Sen. Conroy 'confirming' the new national FTA blackspot satellite service will be state-based metro channels.

Once again, he has also ommitted details of how and when the service will operate, on what platform it will be on (my information is it will be mpeg4), who exactly will be entitled to receive it, the method of encoding (presuming smart cards will be required) and the process of applying and receiving conditional access.

Watch this space

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (02-02-10),Rocket (04-02-10)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

So no GWN, WIN, SCTV, SCT etc?

What exactly are 'state based metro channels'?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Default Your capital city's commercial channels

Hopefully it will mean 7 9 and 10 plus their multichannels on freeview sat.
    GWN can die on analogue.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    So no GWN, WIN, SCTV, SCT etc?

What exactly are 'state based metro channels'?
    metro = metropolitan eg: Melbourne, Sydney

So Victorian viewers will get Melbourne channels, NSW will get Sydney, 7, 9, 10, ABC, SBS (including HD and extra SD channels)... the same as terrestrial TV in the capital cities, etc.

Some regional areas will be serviced by planned terrestrial translators, which will carry regional networks, WIN, Prime etc, but this thread is aimed specifically at the satellite service.

There has been no mention of where the current Optus Aurora services fit into the new scheme, but it will likely replace Aurora in due course.

It's planned to have 'windows' for local regional news on the new service, but once again, no specifics of how it will be integrated into programming and what areas will receive which news service.

At the rate Sen. Conroy's department is going with this, there's every chance there'll be a change of government again before it's implemented. If that occurs, it's back to square one again.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There appears to be more rumblings every day of this being an election year. but even if not, an election will occur before the projected conclusion of the Digital changeover.

In Sundays paper the Opposition Communications spokesman (Tony Smith) has a rant re this matter.
    Maybe Mr Tony Smith is the Oppositions Heir to Sen Conroy if they win the next election so it may be worth giving him a call to perhaps explain the Co-Alitions proposals for Regional Australia's TV coverage.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-02-10 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

So Victorian viewers will get Melbourne channels, NSW will get Sydney, 7, 9, 10, ABC, SBS (including HD and extra SD channels.
    So I would need a smartcard for this.

Thanks

Default New Sat Service

So Victorian viewers will get Melbourne channels, NSW will get Sydney, 7, 9, 10, ABC, SBS (including HD and extra SD channels)... the same as terrestrial TV in the capital cities, etc.

Some regional areas will be serviced by planned terrestrial translators, which will carry regional networks, WIN, Prime etc, but this thread is aimed specifically at the satellite service.

There has been no mention of where the current Optus Aurora services fit into the new scheme, but it will likely replace Aurora in due course.

It's planned to have 'windows' for local regional news on the new service, but once again, no specifics of how it will be integrated into programming and what areas will receive which news service.

At the rate Sen. Conroy's department is going with this, there's every chance there'll be a change of government again before it's implemented. If that occurs, it's back to square one again.
    What intrigues me is that we have'nt heard even a wisper from the current Aurora commercial providers, ie Imparja, WINWA, GWN and Seven. The more you look at it, these services may be limited to the currently established anlaogue re-transmission sites in regional centres with perhaps a requirement on the part of Imparja (who carry 9 material) and Seven to provide a high def service and the other new services respectively, ie Go and 7two. I would imagine that Ten based services including OneHD will be required to also re-transmit at these sites.

For example, in the NT places such as Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine, Gove etc will see the above arrangements for terrestrial transmissions but anybody living out bush with a satellite dish tuned to Aurora will be switched on the new sat service, which in the case of the NT is likely to be aligned to the Qld (Brisbane) capital city based mux.

These arrangements for regional centre re-transmission could also be overlayed into Qld where Imparja and Southern Cross are the main providers for centres west of the great divide. So the scenario here is that in a town like Mt Isa, Imparja and Central 7 retain their current re-transmission arrangements but are required to install the affiilate digital new services. I would imagine that the federal government will provide some kind of financial assistance towards this and also to establish Ten. Again, for current remote Aurora satellite customers, access would be provided to the new, in this case, Brisbane based capital city service.

Perhaps a similar arrangement is being devised for WA, ie WIN, GWN retain their niche as a regional broadcasters for current terrestrial re-transmission sites with Aurora subscribers switching over to the new Capital city based WA service, which presumably will operate as a single service for WA only due to the time differences.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adams View Post
    So I would need a smartcard for this.
    Correct, as it will be an encrypted service, similar to Aurora, where residents need to 'qualify' by having no digital terrestrial signals available in their area.

As a sidenote, there has been no announcement of provision of the new service for 'outback' travellers wishing to receive the transmissions.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

adams (04-02-10)

Administrator
    Thanks

Default New FTA Satellite Service Delayed Til At Least December

From what I've heard, the commencement date is now December 2010.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Despite Media releases from Sen Conroy that the service will be operational by June 30.... The Government has........

1. No infrastructure in place.

2. No decisions made on which satellite will carry the service.

3. No decisions made on encryption method.

4. No decisions made on receiving equipment (eg: proprietory boxes or choice of decoder)

5. No decisions made on the qualification process for applying and activation.

6. No F#*!$@^ idea what they are doing!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

BlackDuck (14-04-10),OSIRUS (30-03-10)

Thanks

From what I've heard, the commencement date is now December 2010.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Despite Media releases from Sen Conroy that the service will be operational by June 30.... The Government has........

1. No infrastructure in place.

2. No decisions made on which satellite will carry the service.

3. No decisions made on encryption method.

4. No decisions made on receiving equipment (eg: proprietory boxes or choice of decoder)

5. No decisions made on the qualification process for applying and activation.

6. No F#*!$@^ idea what they are doing!!!

Will be interesting what will happen on June 30th, when Mildura/Sunraysia switches off analogue and all the outlying areas go to Snow......although they have said that The Sat Service for Mildura/Sunraysia is a trial..
    Last edited by C-Bander; 30-03-10 at 05:18 PM.
    Don't let the number of posts fool you :-)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I expect Mildura will have to be rescheduled for turnoff, otherwise, a raft of explanations on the new service is immenent.

I've given up holding my breath.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Soimewhere else here someone posted a March 17 pronouncement advising there is '100 Days to Analog switchoff' ie June 30.
    100 Calendar days maybe but certainly not working days.
    I counted 73 working days but I forgot about Easter's 2 public holidays so thats even less.

Curious, the FAQ page says that there are 'Currently no satelitte STB's are available in Australia'.
    To Paraphase Miz Pauline, 'What are they talking about?'

If the currently available HD Satelitte receivers are not then considered 'suitable', what system are they considering using?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 30-03-10 at 06:52 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

"conroyvision 1"...new filtered smartcard encryption.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (30-03-10),nando (14-04-10)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I expect Mildura will have to be rescheduled for turnoff, otherwise, a raft of explanations on the new service is immenent.

I've given up holding my breath.
    Govt now claim that the new terrestrial translators being installed in the area resulting in the sat service no longer being required for that area.... we'll see.

Banned
    Thanks

So,

The cat is out the bag

Just like Austar it will be...card and satellite receiver to be married.

This will leave a lot of the new hd sat receivers out there unable to access the system

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (15-04-10),motor (14-04-10),nando (14-04-10),OSIRUS (14-04-10),zacker (14-04-10)

Premium Member 2011 AFL tipping champion
    Thanks

Good find mate. At least it puts an end to the silly idea that it was going to be on D2

Using UEC boxes according to another document on that site.
    Last edited by evilbrian; 14-04-10 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    So,

The cat is out the bag

Just like Austar it will be...card and satellite receiver to be married.

This will leave a lot of the new hd sat receivers out there unable to access the system
    Now that's a leap of logic. There is nothing confirming that the situation will be similar to Austar.
    Austar Irdeto STB's were married to the cards from day 1 but that never stopped the cards from being used in 3rd party boxes.
    Everyone knows Irdeto is broken so unless specific tricks are used (like Austar has done) there shouldn't be any limitations to get the card working in 3rd party devices. Unlike provider boxes, a VAST box won't be fully controlled by the supplier remotely to regularly update a countermeasure so the whiteys will have a good use.
    Plus under current copyright legislation I can't see how any party could possibly be financially affected if widespread CSing of the VAST service was taking place since the content is all FTA anyway! So I can't see how anyone could be prosecuted for making FTA TV available for everyone.
    It all seems like a totally pointless endeavour to encrypt it anyway since it's just FTA and the choice of encryption means that there will be so many back doors that it will only stop people that don't want to view it anyway.

All the extra requirements of embedded Irdeto and pairing are going to set back procurement and provisioning for this service well into the future. There is no way that a tender followed by provisioning and supply in quantity is going to occur any time soon. Given that this is a government sponsored service the usual half-assed implementation will occur (especially in an election year). My guess is that all the difficult implementation points like pairing and encryption provisioning will be abandoned in time for the electrion so that the cards just work with any Irdeto compliant CAM out of the box without fuss. The last thing this government needs is another insulation nightmare in an election year.
    Last edited by satdancer; 14-04-10 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evilbrian View Post
    Good find mate. At least it puts an end to the silly idea that it was going to be on D2
    And confirms that the person who said that on DTV has no idea or the so called "expert" at the meeting had no idea.

Banned
    Thanks

Well, blow me down, an Austar card working on a 3rd party box...which box please?

I have checked Strong, AZ, Mediamaster, Dream, and all users tell me "no go".

Obviously these users are leading me up the garden path.

Hmm..I'm always the last to know.

Thanks

Also a shame that those 'provider compliant' boxes wont be able to tune AlJazeera Int, or gasp, TVSN/EXPO? :-)

Can't seem to get it right can they?
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast