Thread: dm8000 any common problems with these?

Thanks

Default dm8000 any common problems with these?

I looking to sell my dm800 and buy a dm8000. first I need to know if theres any common problems with the dm8000?

In the my dm800 there is an overheating problem, the box gets very hot, most of the heat comes from the tuner and the processor chip, this in turn causes the network to lag resulting in lost packets, and to make things worse it gets even hotter when I install a hdd.

I have had to place a set of external usb powered laptop fans on top of the box just to keep it cool, I shouldnt have to do this.

Other problems include tone switching on some dualthroat lnb's especially the multi port dualthroat lnbs. I have a quad port dual throat lnb installed by SkyTV on my sky dish, the dm800 will not tone switch on this lnb, infact the tone remains "on" even if i switch it off in the lnb settings, there are no other boxes connected to any of the other ports.

Then to top things off the dm800 is way slower than my dm600 and takes atleast a minute to boot up sometimes even more, my dm600 boots up in about 15 to 20 secs. Scrolling thru menus and the epg are very slow, the web interface lacks a lot of features which are otherwise found in the dm600 and dm500 webinterfaces.

I want to get a dm8000 for the dual tuners and other features. I also have an Ultraplus F9000HD with dual tuners but it lacks a lot of the features found in a dm8000, to name a few: no web interface, no extra slots of dvb-t tuners, no ability to flash with images like pli etc... its very limited with which softcams it can run

Can anyone confirm the boot time on a dm8000? does it get hot, are there any known issues, does the network lag resulting in lost packets?

Im prepared to spend the $2k for a dm8000 but I want something that will work and is reliable.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

There is one common problem with all the DM8000's----- PRICE!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Try this on the DM800 first

Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Try this on the DM800 first

Don't you also recommend using an external esata drive?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Default Vu Duo

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    There is one common problem with all the DM8000's----- PRICE!
    I saw some info about a Vu Duo yesterday and thought it looks interesting...very similar spec to DM8000 except with 2 instead of 4 tuners...but for less than 1/2 price....

...anyone know anything about this unit or want to share their view?

Thanks

There are openpli nightly builds for it.. very promising indeed.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

got to be a few issues there if it requires nightly builds. I thought the Azbox was bad with weekly fw releases

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gareth41 View Post

In the my dm800 there is an overheating problem, the box gets very hot, most of the heat comes from the tuner and the processor chip, this in turn causes the network to lag resulting in lost packets, and to make things worse it gets even hotter when I install a hdd.

I have had to place a set of external usb powered laptop fans on top of the box just to keep it cool, I shouldnt have to do this.

Other problems include tone switching on some dualthroat lnb's especially the multi port dualthroat lnbs. I have a quad port dual throat lnb installed by SkyTV on my sky dish, the dm800 will not tone switch on this lnb, infact the tone remains "on" even if i switch it off in the lnb settings, there are no other boxes connected to any of the other ports.

Then to top things off the dm800 is way slower than my dm600 and takes atleast a minute to boot up sometimes even more, my dm600 boots up in about 15 to 20 secs. Scrolling thru menus and the epg are very slow, the web interface lacks a lot of features which are otherwise found in the dm600 and dm500 webinterfaces.

I want to get a dm8000 for the dual tuners and other features. I also have an Ultraplus F9000HD with dual tuners but it lacks a lot of the features found in a dm8000, to name a few: no web interface, no extra slots of dvb-t tuners, no ability to flash with images like pli etc... its very limited with which softcams it can run

Can anyone confirm the boot time on a dm8000? does it get hot, are there any known issues, does the network lag resulting in lost packets?

Im prepared to spend the $2k for a dm8000 but I want something that will work and is reliable.
    I've got a dm8000 and I'm happy with it. However, if I would have a dm800 I would think twice before change it with an 8000. Especially if you live in NZ. In oz makes more sense to have a dm8000, freeview is over the air so adding two DVB-T tunners I could get some number of HD channels, or if you have paytv over the cable then add two DVD-C tunners and have a quad tunner box. I know NZ have freeview over sat same as Sky only over sat, no cable. (sorry if wrong).
    DM8000 booting time: more than a minute (nearly two) I run PLI image
    Heating problems: gets hot like a pancake (power supply) but with a fan kit and a plugin you can keep the heat under control (even on Melbourne's hot days!)
    Didn't have any lost packets...
    No problems scrolling thru menus and epg...
    End of the day it's a beauty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danone View Post
    I've got a dm8000 and I'm happy with it. However, if I would have a dm800 I would think twice before change it with an 8000. Especially if you live in NZ. In oz makes more sense to have a dm8000, freeview is over the air so adding two DVB-T tunners I could get some number of HD channels, or if you have paytv over the cable then add two DVD-C tunners and have a quad tunner box. I know NZ have freeview over sat same as Sky only over sat, no cable. (sorry if wrong).
    DM8000 booting time: more than a minute (nearly two) I run PLI image
    Heating problems: gets hot like a pancake (power supply) but with a fan kit and a plugin you can keep the heat under control (even on Melbourne's hot days!)
    Didn't have any lost packets...
    No problems scrolling thru menus and epg...
    End of the day it's a beauty.
    Good mention only thing as re power supply i can cook my breakfast on the last heatsink, nz also has freeview terestrial so t tuner could be ok

Thanks

thanks for the advice everyone, yea nz has all the free-to-air channels on DVB-T and DVB-S (freeview), on DVB-T they are all h.264 encoded with aac audio with the exception of TV3 having aac and ac3 together. Only TV1, TV2, TV3 and the freeview test channel are HD, the rest are SD. On DVB-S freeview is all SD, no way to get HD from satellite unless you have Sky, sky encrypt all the HD content on satellite, including TV1, TV2, and TV3 which I think is a bit poor, given that they are free-to-air channels, Sky should no be allowed to encrypt free-to-air channels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post
    I saw some info about a Vu Duo yesterday and thought it looks interesting...very similar spec to DM8000 except with 2 instead of 4 tuners...but for less than 1/2 price....

...anyone know anything about this unit or want to share their view?
    This new product won't do half the things that are on the spec. every Tuesday's and Thursday's there's new software to fix this and another bug and some time a bug fix will create another. I'd keep away from it until the software issues are sorted out.

You'd be better of buying one of Leroy's Mediastar's + will do what you want and more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    got to be a few issues there if it requires nightly builds. I thought the Azbox was bad with weekly fw releases

Leroy
    pli does nightly build on every box openpli image (including all dreamboxes) - its part of their process for continual beta releases building towards next major release.

Its a good thing because bug fixes get to the users sooner and can be tested by a wider audience rather than just the developers
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gareth41 View Post
    I looking to sell my dm800 and buy a dm8000. first I need to know if theres any common problems with the dm8000?

I live in a desert of SA and in summer gets really hot but i never experienced loss of any packets because of the heat and also have an inbuilt 320g hdd in my dm800.I was using the notepad cooler with 3 fan`s for a while and at the moment i just use 2 small pc fan`s which i put on top of dm800 and they are powered from the back USB slot.I had my dm8000 only for a week and installed one 3 pin 6cmx6cm fan and one 8cmx8cm (from an old CPU with USB connection which makes it very quiet ) and doesnt get hot at all even while watching HDef channels.So if you put a proper cooling in place then you don`t have to worry at all.
    Boot time is just under 2 minutes but you don`t boot the box all the time...ones you get all your settings,plugins....ect. then you just put it in stand-by.I also have UltraPlus F-9000 and it will be a good 2xDVB-S2 box ones they get a stable enigma2 software it will be closer to dm8000 in features.
    Android TV boxes: Nvidia Shield U Box 4K, Rickomagic 808b, Rickomagic 802
    Raspberry Pi 2, Ouya
    AZbox Premium , dm8000 , VU+ Duo, Ultra Plus 900 and other none Linux boxes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novica View Post
    I had my dm8000 only for a week and installed one 3 pin 6cmx6cm fan and one 8cmx8cm (from an old CPU with USB connection which makes it very quiet ) and doesnt get hot at all even while watching HDef channels.So if you put a proper cooling in place then you don`t have to worry at all.
    Thanks novica for giving me ideas.
    Here is my super cooled box. One 60mm four PIN PWM fan controlled by the plugin and one 80mm superquiet fan connected via the 4pin hdd supply. This last one lives above the p/s and runs all the time except when deep standby.