Thread: Captiva

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Captiva

Have bught a Diesel auto Captiva, claimed economy 8.7 l per 100 ks, actually does about 12.7 l per 100 ks. (worse than the Patrol) i am a bit pissed as i could have bought the petrol as a 5 speed instead of the diesel 4 speed. So to my question i note that 4th gear does not change until approx 63-64 kph, not much help in a 60kph zone in city traffic. Can the auto be adjusted to change at a lower kph?, hence better economy. I need to know so that i don't get b/sd when i take it into servicehttp://www.austech.info/images/smilies/questionmark.gif
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

How many clicks has it done? It might take 20,000 before you start getting good ecconomy.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Leroy is right about needing to run in however it wont go from what you are claiming to what Holden claims.

Take it back and complain, tell them the fuel mileage is crap, diesels should not be revving hard as they work on low rpm torque so the shifts should happen at lower RPM's.

They could have a program upgrade/fix but i doubt they can lower the shift point RPM's unless they have a tech problem such as a faulty throttle position switch or similar.

Thanks

Are your consumption figures from the trip computer or have you actually worked it out by fuel used vs Kilometers travelled?

Was it built before or after 7/12/07 ?

There was a service fix where the engine control module was reprogrammed to fix the displayed fuel consumption on vehicles built before this date.
    Note: this is only to fix the accuracy of the displayed figures,it will not change the fuel consumption of the engine.

There is also 2 calibration softwares for autos on Captiva depending on which torque converter capacity is fitted .It may pay to ask them (Holden) to make sure yours has the right calibration.
    Last edited by whitey66; 11-07-10 at 09:23 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

8 months old, 14,000 kms! am going by the computer read out on console gps
    Last edited by allover; 11-07-10 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

had a look at these the other day while getting car serviced
    they are all 5 speed auto now dont know if this makes any difference and are claiming about 8.7/100
    is yours 2 or all wheel drive
    trip computers arnt always accurate try manualy with a full tank of fuel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    8 months old, 14,000 kms! am going by the computer read out on console gps
    The next few times you fill up, reset the trip meter and take not of how much fuel you put in. Work out from there what your actual average consumption for each tank is.

Thanks

Dont follow the trip computer.

Mine on my XR6 tells me to expect X Km on refill and its miles off.

As others have mentioned, fill it, reset your odometer, take a note of the liters to fill it next time and how many Km you had traveled.

Yesterday i noted my trip computer was telling me i averaged 18L to 100Km but im getting 12.3L to 100Km city going by my calculations which is right for the car.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Also, it may use more fuel if you get the auto to go into 4th gear earlier than it currently does. I have a Rodeo turbo diesel 5sp manual and if I change into 4th too early the revs are low and the engine sounds and feels like it is labouring. With my Rodeo (same engine as yours) I get 8.5 to 9.0 litres per 100 around town, so their 8.7 claim for an auto is really not realistic. I also put a DP chip in my Rodeo and it lowered fuel consumption (but only when driving normally).
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Have bught a Diesel auto Captiva, claimed economy 8.7 l per 100 ks, actually does about 12.7 l per 100 ks. (worse than the Patrol) i am a bit pissed as i could have bought the petrol as a 5 speed instead of the diesel 4 speed. So to my question i note that 4th gear does not change until approx 63-64 kph, not much help in a 60kph zone in city traffic. Can the auto be adjusted to change at a lower kph?, hence better economy. I need to know so that i don't get b/sd when i take it into servicehttp://www.austech.info/images/smilies/questionmark.gif
    Where do you live allover? Are you driving in the city? Was it from the city? A lot of new diesels are having a problem with the new catalytic converters in them. They have pressure sensors on them and when they sense that they are full of crud, they will tell the engine to dump fuel in to help burn them out. The problem is that they wont burn out properly until they are up to a high temp. I am told that these catalytic converters are having trouble getting up to temp with start/stop city driving. The result is the converter stays blocked and the pressure sensors on the converter tell the ECU to keep the engine running rich. Take it out the road and give it a floggin'! Tow something heavy while your at it...see if it helps. The ECU might be holding that lower gear, making it rev and trying to get the temp into the cat.

I have read on other sites (Pajero & Triton related) that a good hard run of 50~100km will fix the problem. How you fix it long term is another question...maybe thats why the previous owner sold?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ramjet For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (13-07-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks guys, new vehicle and all city driving thus far

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Where do you live allover? Are you driving in the city? Was it from the city? A lot of new diesels are having a problem with the new catalytic converters in them. They have pressure sensors on them and when they sense that they are full of crud, they will tell the engine to dump fuel in to help burn them out. The problem is that they wont burn out properly until they are up to a high temp. I am told that these catalytic converters are having trouble getting up to temp with start/stop city driving. The result is the converter stays blocked and the pressure sensors on the converter tell the ECU to keep the engine running rich. Take it out the road and give it a floggin'! Tow something heavy while your at it...see if it helps. The ECU might be holding that lower gear, making it rev and trying to get the temp into the cat.

I have read on other sites (Pajero & Triton related) that a good hard run of 50~100km will fix the problem. How you fix it long term is another question...maybe thats why the previous owner sold?
    Ramjet has a valid point, the cats are different and need a good blast to clean out and go back to normal mixture conditions.

Im sure Holden could hook into your ECU and confirm the duty cycle of your injectors or if its stuck in cleanup mode.

I was talking to my exhaust supplier and told that Diesel cats are becoming a popular replacement item due to failure in the dump and burn system on new cars.

Thanks

What I cant understand is that this higher emission standard for diesels in Europe has been around for quite a while now but they don't seem to be having any problems with their CATs, which leads me to two possible conclusions - they don't care if their vehicles use more fuel with their shorter, average trips (highly unlikely), or, as we have been told for years, the quality of our diesel fuel is the worst in the world.

I dont know why I even mentioned my first conclusion...

I have also heard around the traps that PB are releasing an Ultimate diesel, its supposed to be out there...has anyone noticed it yet? Is that an admission of crap fuel?
    Last edited by Ramjet; 13-07-10 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

I've been told by the dealer boys that when they burn off the particle filters it'll burn the paint off the workshop floor! That's alot of fuel. I doubt you'd get 12 lit per 100 if you were in that mode.