Thread: DM800 Hard Disk

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default DM800 Hard Disk

Hi Guys

I ordered a 250gb 2.5" sata hard disk drive for my dm800. It arrived today and I just went to install it until I realised that the dm800 doesn't have a plug for the SATA power, just the SATA data. Is their a way to install this hard drive internally, or do I have to get an external case with an esata output?

Thanks guys

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Use a Esata caddy

That way the DM can breath & it doesn't have to 'share' it's power supply
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

zacker (19-02-10)

Thanks

My DM800 came with a power /data cable, 4 screws and the hard drive caddy was installed, to install the hard drive internally you remove the caddy and install hd then remove the Esata (external) HD cable plug and fold it out of the way, plug in the internal hd data cable (black plug) and power cable (white plug ) the dm800 comes with a 3amp power supply to cover the extra hd power drain.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy For This Useful Post:

zacker (20-02-10)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I realise that you have to unplugf the sata data cable for the external esata, but the only spare plug is a white plug with four pins sticking out. Is this the power for the sata? If so where do I go about getting a plug that will fit onto this and the end of my sata hard disk?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

I have them here, but once again, I strongly recommend agaisnt internaly mounting a hard drive in DM800's (genuine or clones) because they block the vents on the top of the unit and restrict air flow and it draws extra current from the DM800hd power supply

The harness looks like this

Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

Taz (20-02-10)

Premium Member
    Thanks

disregard last post found sata cable and power adapter in packaging. First place you should look but always the last

thanks guys

Thanks

i would do as Fernbay says and dont put it inside think about it the extra heat generated inside what is already a warm box cant be good but its up to you hope your fire insurance is paid up

Thanks

I have a hd installed in mine doubles as a room heater in winter, I have put two peaces of wood under the feet to lift the unit up this allows for a better air flow they get warm but not overly hot, the cpu fan helps. Might cause the Caps to dry out and fail long turm hell good excuise to buy the latest and grates in a few years.

Thanks

Can anyone confirm what the largest size hard drive the DM800 will support?
    1TB 2.5" are available so curious to know if either or both 500GB and 1TB models are supported for internal use.
    For external use, any issues with 1.5 or 2TB drives?

Thanks

They say up to 1.5tb has been tried but a 320gb will give you hundreds of hours record time and 320gb only cost $69 you can swap files on or off larger hard drives on your PC via Ethernet.

Hard Drives

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
    They say up to 1.5tb has been tried but a 320gb will give you hundreds of hours record time and 320gb only cost $69 you can swap files on or off larger hard drives on your PC via Ethernet.
    I was considering 500GB for now 5400rpm only. Still won't store "hundreds" of hours of HD recordings though ;-)
    But I guess nothing would stay on it for long before being transferred off for trimming and storage elsewhere.
    What are the typical transfer data speeds in MB/s for both reading and writing over the network?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davmel View Post
    What are the typical transfer data speeds in MB/s for both reading and writing over the network?
    depends on numerous things, like your computer hdd speed, how busy is your network etc. the dm network card is 100M and I guess your router is the same. mine goes with 11.4Mb/sec

Thanks

From memory ts format uses app 2gb p/h SD 576i, app 4gb p/h 720p HD, app 8gb p/h 1080i HD I will have to record 1 hr on SD and HD to see now, you should get hundreds of hours of SD on a 500gb HD and around 100 hours of 720p does anyone know before I go test for three hours.
    Last edited by bigboy; 20-02-10 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks

I get 1,024.00 MB (35 mins run time SD) in 4 minutes 55 seconds (3.47 MB/s) file transfer using FlashFXP
    Last edited by bigboy; 20-02-10 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

From memory ts format uses 1gb p/h SD, 2gb p/h 720p HD, just under 4gb p/h 1080i HD I will have to record 1 hr on SD and HD to see now, you should get hundreds of hours of SD on a 500gb HD and around 100 hours of 1080i does anyone know before I go test for three hours.
    It's not based on the resolution but the bitrate which can vary significantly based on which channel and the codec used, but your estimates are close. I've been recording DVB-T and Foxtel/Austar DVB-S for 8 years to PC so I'm quite familiar with the bitrates. Some 1080i channels like W HD are under 3 GB and hour and as high as 6GB an hour for Fox Sports HD due to the bitrate differences.
    So yeah, I'd say 100 hours total capacity if you're recording the Olympics HD channels which are 8.5 Mbps average.

Thanks

I get 1,024.00 MB (35 mins run time SD) in 4 minutes 55 seconds (3.47 MB/s) file transfer using FlashFXP
    I should have clarified my question as to what transfer speeds people get using SMB protocol from the Samba share, not FTP.
    Theoretically I would expect given the overheads and network port speed for the transfer rate to be no more than around 8 MB/s, but if it's lower than that it would be due to hardware or driver limitations.
    Also when doing heavy SMB file transfers how does it affect the latency in card ECM/EMM client and server network packets?

Thanks

I discovered that the smbfs kernel module was deactivated for some reason, so on activating it I could use the smbmount command correctly.
    However it appears that there is some serious network capacity limits through samba on the DM800. I can't even play a HD file with 12.5Mbps average and 20Mbps peak bitrate levels from a network server without regular pauses and skips whenever there is rapid movement. So it looks as though the samba client can't even process over the network much more than 2.5 MB/s which seems horribly low to me.
    If that's the case there is little point in having anything faster than a 5400rpm drive (a 4200rpm drive will probably be adequate!)

Thanks

I only have a 5400rpm could see any point paying extra for a faster one, haven't look at samba don't even know what it is I must do some reading and check it out. I played around with VLC but wasn't that impressed, I just play most of my SD and HD from PC direct to TV and PJ via HDMI

I assume samba is a form file transfer or streaming over ethernet, if it is I found that streaming Divx at very low res with VLC had problems with fast movement so I doubt it would be able to stream HD plays HD from the hard drive good if only it had DTS decoder stuck with AC3

i.e. the movie "9" see specs below from DM800 internal Hard Drive looks and plays the same as a Western Digital TV media centre but WD TV has DTS audio. I have tried faster bit rates with no problems I havent pushed it to see how high it will go. most of my HD is only 720p DTS audio, I think fast movement like action movies looks better in 720p than 1080i the progressive scan handles the fast movement smother (in my opinion ESPN sport channel agrees with me) and my full HD TV upscales 720p image to look almost the same as a 1080p, BluRay 1080p is still the best.

Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 1h 19mn
    Bit rate : 3 181 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 3 274 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.144
    Stream size : 1.76 GiB (66%)
    Writing library : x264 core 79 r1342 e8501ef
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3274 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Last edited by bigboy; 21-02-10 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

I only have a 5400rpm could see any point paying extra for a faster one, haven't look at samba don't even know what it is I must do some reading and check it out. I played around with VLC but wasn't that impressed, I just play most of my SD and HD from PC direct to TV and PJ via HDMI
    I assume samba is a form file transfer or streaming over ethernet, if it is I found that streaming Divx at very low res with VLC had problems with fast movement so I doubt it would be able to stream HD plays HD from the hard drive good if only it had DTS decoder stuck with AC3
    Samba is the default service on linux platforms which allows networking with Microsoft Windows PC's and networks. When you activate it you can browse the dreambox like any other PC on your network using standard windows networking (which uses the SMB protocol hence why it is called Samba).
    The config file to alter which network shares appear and more importantly setting the workgroup setting to your local workgroup name is in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
    It's much easier to just copy and move files to the box using the SMB protocol than messing around with FTP. But I guess some people aren't familiar enough with linux to utilise all the features.

I just tried copying everything on the inernal flash storage on the dreambox over the network using SMB and it only had a pathetic 2.1 MB/s transfer speed so as I suspected there is zero chance of playing files from a network share with a peak instantaneous bitrate above 15 Mbps. Even much above 10Mbps might be pushing it without error.
    Even during the file transfer though the good news is that it doesn't increase card client latency levels by any significant amount.

• The Following User Says Thank You to satdancer For This Useful Post:

bigboy (21-02-10)