Thread: can use some help. chinese gps setup

Thanks

Default can use some help. chinese gps setup

i just received my new 7'' indash tv/ gps/ bluetooth player. i tried testing it before installation as i read is a good idea with these knockoff units.

the problem im having is i can not set up the gps. i received the sd card with maps on it. i put the sd card in the gps sd card slot and it doesn't seem to recognized it. the navigation path is blank and i read on another forum is should say something like '' SDMMC\Polnav\polnav.exe '' to tell the unit where to find the gps software.

so i guess my question is: is there a way to put SDMMC\Polnav\polnav.exe in that blank spot? or is this some kind of firmware error that requires me to send it back and pay the huge shipping price.

the unit specs:
    windows ce 5.0
    400mhz processor
    64 mb of ram

im about to send this back for a full refund ( less that shipping cost ouch ) thanks
    Last edited by mikewu9900; 04-03-10 at 11:13 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

take a photo of it for us and post it up here

put the sd card in the GPS SLOT and press the browes button to find the exe to load what ever software you got on your sd card

also, before u blame the unit, put the sd card into your pc and see if the card is actually working or not and check as to what software you got on it ?

Thanks

some of those units have 2 sd slots have you tried both also have you checked the sd card in another card reader does it have any gps program on it maybe its a blank card
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Have you tested it fully connected (mainly to power) or just by plugging it into the PC?
    Even if they are most of the time useless - check the manual first and if no joy send an Email to the seller.

And just in general : it is really useless to say that it is a DVD/GPS thingy - to help we need details like brand ,model ,what software is included and so on.
    If I tell you that my car makes a noise - would you be able to fix it just with that little info ?
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Have you tested it fully connected (mainly to power) or just by plugging it into the PC?
    Even if they are most of the time useless - check the manual first and if no joy send an Email to the seller.

And just in general : it is really useless to say that it is a DVD/GPS thingy - to help we need details like brand ,model ,what software is included and so on.
    If I tell you that my car makes a noise - would you be able to fix it just with that little info ?

this is the one. i tried both sd slots, and the non gps slot sees the files but says invalid format, i think due to it is for music, video, and pics.

i have tried the card in a pc and it works fine. it was actually missing the exe file, but i found a patch and installed it on the sdcard. thats when i tried it in the pc and it worked. the software is route 66.

i retried it in the unit and still nothing. like i said before, i believe it is because there is nothing in the navigation path location. i read of someone else who had the exact same problem on another forum, but it never got resolved.

i tried soft and hard restarts, and reset the default settings. im out of ideas. these monitors have very limited screens, so im sure i haven't missed anything. i think i may need to either somehow reflash it, or send it back. the place i bought it from is dragging their feet and only offers a 7 day return policy, and its been 3, so i have to decide what to do kinda quickly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    take a photo of it for us and post it up here

put the sd card in the GPS SLOT and press the browes button to find the exe to load what ever software you got on your sd card

also, before u blame the unit, put the sd card into your pc and see if the card is actually working or not and check as to what software you got on it ?
    i tried to press all the buttons in the gps seup screen, but nothing at all happens... the sd card software worked in a pc.

Thanks

open set up in main menu and point the navigation exe to the GPS...(your navi program your using ex..raute66.exe)...then you open gps...make sure the SDcard is inserted and the navi program is installed.
    NOYPITS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kukuk View Post
    open set up in main menu and point the navigation exe to the GPS...(your navi program your using ex..raute66.exe)...then you open gps...make sure the SDcard is inserted and the navi program is installed.
    it doesn't show anything in the setup gps menu. everything is just blank, like it isn't reading the sd card. there are spots where it should show the files. i think i may just send this back and try another unit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
    it doesn't show anything in the setup gps menu. everything is just blank, like it isn't reading the sd card. there are spots where it should show the files. i think i may just send this back and try another unit.
    maybe there is a problem with the gps sd slot. idk, i spend 4 hours so far tryin to mess with this. you get what u pay for i suppose.

Thanks

mikewu, mate your going to feel very dumb if i come to your house and i make it work in 2 seconds... --- there is a very good chance that the unit may be faulty, as you said, you get what you pay for.... however i have a feeling that your doing something wrong.

I went to my friends house 2 weeks ago, he was describing me the EXACT problem your having .... do you have fat fingers by any chance ?? i went to my mates house and press the button PROPERLY and it showed the SD card.... he wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough or properly..

When he inserted the sd, I pressed the [...] button to go up a directory, then it showed STORAGE CARD.... he felt like an idiot and he yelled at me saying "I DID THAT" LOL

i couldnt help to laugh at him ....

here is a picture of my unit, take note of the [...] button, thats to go UP to see yoru storage card

Last edited by hollowman; 05-03-10 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    mikewu, mate your going to feel very dumb if i come to your house and i make it work in 2 seconds... --- there is a very good chance that the unit may be faulty, as you said, you get what you pay for.... however i have a feeling that your doing something wrong.

I went to my friends house 2 weeks ago, he was describing me the EXACT problem your having .... do you have fat fingers by any chance ?? i went to my mates house and press the button PROPERLY and it showed the SD card.... he wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough or properly..

When he inserted the sd, I pressed the [...] button to go up a directory, then it showed STORAGE CARD.... he felt like an idiot and he yelled at me saying "I DID THAT" LOL

i couldnt help to laugh at him ....

here is a picture of my unit, take note of the [...] button, thats to go UP to see yoru storage card

mine doesn't have the (...) button. it has a square with a file, and a up and down arrow. thats it. i read elsewhere about hitting the buttons just right, so i honestly tried for 30 minutes, just trying to hit the buttons and nothing. i even dragged my finger around the screen for a while hoping for a hidden button. lol, idk, got despite.

when i go to navigation setup, it shows a screen that says navigation path. it should say something in that box, but its blank. next to that there is a square with a little file in it. i click it, it goes to the next screen where you can tell there should be files listed, but that is also blank. there is that square with a little file again, i clicked it a hundred times and nothing. i contacted the seller again and they want me to send it back.

i would love to have the gps feature, but im considering a partial refund and keeping the unit, living without the gps as everything else seems to work ok. but im not jumping to conclusions yet. i still want to see if i can figure this out in the next day or 2. when ordering this unit, seeing i just bought a 99 lexus, i figured it would be sweet to have an in dash gps.

Thanks

have you tried another sd card ? maybe like a 1gb one ?
    is it possible to take a photo of what your describing ?
    (use imageshake to upload pics)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
    mine doesn't have the (...) button. it has a square with a file, and a up and down arrow. thats it. i read elsewhere about hitting the buttons just right, so i honestly tried for 30 minutes, just trying to hit the buttons and nothing. i even dragged my finger around the screen for a while hoping for a hidden button. lol, idk, got despite.

when i go to navigation setup, it shows a screen that says navigation path. it should say something in that box, but its blank. next to that there is a square with a little file in it. i click it, it goes to the next screen where you can tell there should be files listed, but that is also blank. there is that square with a little file again, i clicked it a hundred times and nothing. i contacted the seller again and they want me to send it back.

i would love to have the gps feature, but im considering a partial refund and keeping the unit, living without the gps as everything else seems to work ok. but im not jumping to conclusions yet. i still want to see if i can figure this out in the next day or 2. when ordering this unit, seeing i just bought a 99 lexus, i figured it would be sweet to have an in dash gps.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTTxa7TG7s]YouTube - 100_1531.MOV[/ame]

i took this video of me messing with the tv...

Thanks

what your doing is correct in opening the navigation path in the gps setting...try to install IGO8 in your sdcard and try that one...download are all ..no guaranty it will work but try it out...it looks your gps card reader is not working...
    NOYPITS

Thanks

nice video, thanks for that.
    try using a low level format tool on the sd card (backup whats on it) fomat it and put igo8 on it, let us know if that works/or doesn't work. if it doesn't work, then im going to have to agree with you that the gps slot sd card is dead. I read in this thread that the units are made poorly, and that its possible to fix it... try opening the unit up and get access to the SD card reader, there could just be a loose wire or solder

Thanks

you said your route66 software worked on your PC. Do you mean you actually ran the exe file successfully? If so that would be an X86 version and you want an ARM version for the different processor on your car unit. Sorry if I have misunderstood what you did.

Thanks

r66 on pc ? nop, not me ?

Thanks

mike, 45treker sugguested to put your sd card unside down another thread, that may help ?