Thread: AWA C1502 TV Schematic? (Yes, I still repair 20+ year old TVs)

Thanks

Default AWA C1502 TV Schematic? (Yes, I still repair 20+ year old TVs)

I know this one is a long shot. Does anyone have a copy of the schematic for an AWA C1502?

I rescued this 20 year old 6" set from the being dumped and got it going, but it was an ex-hospital rental set and they disabled the AV input by removing a lot of components. I'd like to put it back to it's original condition.

I know most people would probably think I'm crazy for working on such old sets, but I like them and a least this little sets are easy to find space for (unlike the National CL-2620 from 1975 that I got going earlier this week, but have no room to keep it).

Look Here ->
    In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

3 months ago I had a HUGE cleanout and dumped almost all of my old TV service data including hundreds of service manuals and diagrams for old CRT sets.

I really wanted to keep them. I looked long and hard at the boxes of carefully loved manuals and even pulled a few out to read the handwritten notes I had annotated to many of them regarding various faults I had found over those years.

I am sure in years to come they would have been worth something - if nothing other than nostalgia value or a donation to the local museum! I wonder if someone 50 years from now will want to resurrect an old CRT TV that they've found hiding in a garage somewhere?

I'm sure I saw a number of AWA manuals go out in the boxes, probably even a C1502 among them

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

If I remember right Mitsubishi and AWA where one
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

A lot of AWA sets were made by Mitsubishi including my 9" C2202. This one I'm not so sure, there are no Mitusbishi logos to be found anywhere. I don't recognise the logos on the PCBs in this one. While googling for info I found someones old posts on another forum that suggested it was made by Daewoo. The logos on the PCB kind of look like a stylised D, so that could fit.

If I am still alive in 50 years I'll still be watching CRTs. I've got enough of them that I should be able to keep at least one going that long.

Other than a few I've been able to download the only times I've had the schematics for a set I'm working on is when I've been lucky and found it tucked inside the case. The Serviceman column in old issues of EA magazine can also be useful.

If anyone is interested I can post pics of this and other old TVs in my hoard.

Thanks

Yeah please do post a pic of the C1502 as I can't find anything on this set even in my old 1993 efil
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
    The Serviceman column in old issues of EA magazine can also be useful.
    Does anyone know who the serviceman is that writes for Silicon Chip? I know he's in Australia somewhere - and I had an idea his name was Stan Swan - but I may be wrong.

If anyone is interested I can post pics of this and other old TVs in my hoard.
    Sure. Always cool to see what someone else is collecting.

Thanks

Is the guy your looking for in here

Thanks

leo@siliconchip.com.au

is the editor just ask him.

Thanks

The C1502 is still in pieces on the bench at the moment (It's working, but I want to clean up the mess the last person left in there before I put it back together).

I think these may have been a special model just for hospital use. It lacks the internal antenna that is usually on every other set of this size I've seen (it hasn't been removed, there's no sign that it was ever there). The tuning controls are hidden behind a screwed down cover with nothing to suggest they are there until the cover is removed. Even so the rental company still had to fit there own weirdo power/antenna connector and a keyswitch that prevents the set from being tuned above channel 8.

An AWA C1402 made by Orion. This was also an ex hospital rental set, but I have seen these around in the original unmodified state.

A National Action 8. I have no idea what this one was doing in Dandenong as it's a Japanese model. It's 100V, NTSC only and only tunes the Japanese bands.

An AWA C2202. These were made by Mitsubishi and were also a common ex-rental set (though this isn't an ex-rental). These are VHF only. This one has as an Apple sticker on the side. I wonder how long they suffered squinting at lines of BASIC code on this before they go a real monitor. These are usually killed when someone tries to run them off 12VDC as the DC connector isn't polarised (there is a notch, but it will still fit in either way).

An Astor Devon Fringe B&W set. This one is all valve. I haven't got this one going yet. I pulled a lot of old valve sets apart as a kid, but I've never really worked with valves before so it will be interesting.

An Astor Royal 25 B&W. I found it at the same outside the same house as the set above. This one is a newer hybrid model. The deflection circuits and audio amp are still valves, but the rest is transistors.

This is far from all of them. I actually have to move out of my storage space soon and I won't be able to keep them all. So if you're local and want an old TV let me know.

Thanks

Thanks for the Pic's mate
    You Know I honestly thought I have seen all the the TV'S ever made,
    I now stand corrected
    The Astor Devon Fringe would have been the Bee's knee's in its day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Is the guy your looking for in here

Nope, none of the above. "The Serviceman" isn't on staff - he's a contributor. I don't NEED to know who he is, just wondered if anyone on here actually knew him or knew of him.

Thanks

Well, you sure do have some interesting sets in Oz. I have not seen ONE of any of the pics you have posted before.

They are all new to me.

Good fortune with the restorations.

Thanks

Looks like you blokes need to re-sit the Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course

Mike Sheriff B.Sc D.M.S Dip.M A.M.I.E.E. M.R.T.V.S. A.M.B.I.M. G.Inst.M. M.T.E.T.I.A. M.T.E.S.A. VK2YFK, VN2P, NAB505, G8DGE – Technical Writer

The name may not be familiar because Mike Sheriff’s byline never appears in SILICON CHIP – yet he has a column which is arguably the most popular and first-read every month. Mike writes the “Serviceman’s Notebook” and yes, he is a real, live, on-the-job, practicing, serviceman. He’s determined that with enough practice, he’ll get it right some day.

Thanks

Surely there has been more than one "Serviceman". That column has been going since it was "Radio, Television & Hobbies" in the 60s (and possibly earlier, but my issues don't go back that far). I do remember reading at some stage (before EA became Silicon Chip) that the then Serviceman was retiring and they were looking for contributors.

As much as I like RTVH/EA/Silicon Chip I do wish I'd picked up issues of "Television" (UK mag) when I had the chance.

Studio1: Did anyone manufacture TVs in NZ? So far the only electronics I've seen that were made in NZ are an AWA "Orthofidelity" AM tuner and matching amplifier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TZB View Post
    Looks like you blokes need to re-sit the Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course

My eyes ain't what they used ta' be...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
    Surely there has been more than one "Serviceman". That column has been going since it was "Radio, Television & Hobbies" in the 60s (and possibly earlier, but my issues don't go back that far). I do remember reading at some stage (before EA became Silicon Chip) that the then Serviceman was retiring and they were looking for contributors.
    I am sure that one of the "Servicemen" in Silicon Chip was a guy by the name of Stan Swan. Then again, I could be wrong.

As much as I like RTVH/EA/Silicon Chip I do wish I'd picked up issues of "Television" (UK mag) when I had the chance.
    I think I have a few copies of it stored away in boxes somewhere. I know that one of the public libraries here in NZ has the complete set going back many years.. just need to try to remember which one it is!

Studio1: Did anyone manufacture TVs in NZ? So far the only electronics I've seen that were made in NZ are an AWA "Orthofidelity" AM tuner and matching amplifier.
    Yes, we had several TV manufacturing companies here over the years. The most famous was the PYE factory in Waihi -

I am sure we had an AWA factory here.

We had a company called Consolidated Electronics that produced Bell television sets in the 70s and early 80s.

Sanyo had a factory here in the 70s building TVs using imported parts from Japan.

I think the Philips K9 sets were built in the PYE factory in Waihi.

I know there were other companies making TVs here - but I can't for the life of me remember who they were now. We are talking 30+ years ago and I was just a kid back then!

As for other electronics there's been a heap of them over the years. The most famous of all, and still going strong today is the Perreaux factory.

Now a worldwide entity, it was started by Peter Perreaux in 1974 -

Another well known brand that is still made here is Plinius.

We had a company back in the 80s called Fountain Marketing that made Bell and Fountain brand stereo systems.

Over the years we've had a thriving electronics industry here and NZ has turned out a lot of excellent products.

Rant mode on:

Sadly, China has screwed all that up for us, and we make very little here now as it's impossible to compete with their cheap shitty imported JUNK.

Almost impossible to find a "corner TV repair shop" now either, for the same reason. Electronic items are rarely worth repairing these days. When people need a new TV or stereo and don't want to spend a lot they go to The Warehouse [known as 'The Red Shed' in Australia] and buy some cheap crappy piece of poo made in China that probably won't last 5 minutes.

Rant mode off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post

Over the years we've had a thriving electronics industry here and NZ has turned out a lot of excellent products.
    Yes, another couple. PDL (motordrives dept was formally IEA) and the biggie Fisher & Paykel. I believe both of these are now being made overseas too, or in the process of moving.

(Edit: Both Perreaux and IEA started in a small City called Napier ~60k population.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TZB View Post
    Yes, another couple. PDL (motordrives dept was formally IEA) and the biggie Fisher & Paykel. I believe both of these are now being made overseas too, or in the process of moving.

(Edit: Both Perreaux and IEA started in a small City called Napier ~60k population.)
    Correct. PDL and Perreaux started in Napier. Perreaux moved to Auckland (shifted several times once there) and now operate out of Dunedin in the South Island.
    PDL was bought out by Schneider Electric (but still markets under the PDL brand).