Thread: DVD Recorder Filesystems

Thanks

Default DVD Recorder Filesystems

Gday,

I have a 3 panasonic DVD recorders (with HDD) and would like to know the process of reverse engineering the filesystem they use. I did have a thought it may be based on the tiny UDF file system but can't confirm that. I can use the DMR-HS2 to test for now nd in a few weeks a DMR-EX77 then when my warranty is out (12 months) a DMR-EX79...

If anyone here is interested in helping it would be greatly appreaciated. What I would like to see is some software written to be able to download programs to the PC and edit / burn the recordings after. I know this has been done with PVR's in the past so I do hold hope. It would allow anyone (where the filesystem is known) that has the burner fail to backup the recordings to the PC etc..

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i hooked an panasonic analogue dvd hdd recoder's hdd to the pc, it was ide, and the pc didnt reconise it, a few years ago, then search and search the net and came up with nothing back then

Thanks

Yeah not much still - I am going to use a IDE-CF adapter in a DMR-HS2 (analogue) recorder and check the disk with a Hex Editor to check the disc format with that.. If possible I will post the file here - Any ideas on how much to post?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Hi Ozzyjim, this may help you out for recovering the files.

1. use Winhex (a hex editor) to make a image (clone) file of the
    drive.
    You can actually play this file with VLC media player right away.

Next.
    2. You have to use ISOBuster to look at this file
    (it will show you there are many VRO. files in this big file
    (save these files to you PCs HDD).

3. Use videoredo to edit the vro files and save.
    Last edited by mickstv; 03-05-10 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks

cheers mate - I am actually looking tho to write or help write some software where it would be a plug and play method of loading the files on your pc... something like DVR-Studio..

Thanks

OzzyJim,
    I am very interested in helping.
    I have a DMR-XW300 that I am trying to recover files from and have been digging and sharing information with a variety of people on the structure of this machine and it's filesyste,

What I know so far:

It is indeed a UFD file system however I don't think it's as straightforward as that as no tools that I have currently employed against the disk find a totally intact UFD FS.

I've made abit copy of the HDD and have been looking through some of the data and certainly there are UFD components there, however I think it may also be a multi partition disk with other data.
    Also it sppears that the listing of recordings is kept seperate as I can see all the recording titles in the data but the following data is not in any video format.
    Take a look at this thread:

While I know you aren't looking for a way to recover your files, some of the work going on in this thread gives you some ideas. The python scripts work ok and allowed me to recover about 80% of the video from my drive, so they are definately on teh right track.

Cheers
    GS

Thanks

Hello , I also have a Panasonic DMR-EX79 with HDDERR message , would help me if you can save the first of 100 MB of harddisk image in winhex.

Thanks

Excuse me sir, but it seems that you know a lot about DVD record problem. I have a question about my camcord video output format may i ask. At first, i have a vro file that cannot berecognized by my VLC player, so I use this software () to convert it to mp4. Then, the VRO file can be played again, but I do not know why, sometimes there is no audio output, no sound. Does any one else ever met a similar problem? VLC can play VOB very well I have checked, since it is similar to VRO, but why VRO cannot be recognized by VLC, it doesn't make any sense. Is there any way to directly play VRO file on my computer without using any third-party video converter?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Jemmyvu, this thread is 7 years old so I dont know how you will go. But good luck anyway

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sounds like conversion settings may have an issue.

Are you using the latest version of VLC player?

It would help if you mentioned what OS and version your PC is running and the software settings you are using, for the original recordings and the conversion settings.