Thread: another subaru question

Thanks

Default another subaru question

the outback was pretty good and i am thinking about it at $6500 , however i have been offered a impreza my97 n gx in really schmick condition for 1500 less
    how do these compare to the outbacks ? , or is it better to get the cheaper as a second runaround (still has enough room to chuck a bale of hay in the back)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Dont they both have the same drive line? (or there abouts?)

Id be looking at the one with the least mileage, best service history and the most mature driver.

If the mileages and service schedules are similar, go for the cheapest.

Also call up insurance companies and compare cover costs.

Thanks

insurance is not really an issue
    the impreza has about 60000 less k's on it and is 1500 bucks cheaper
    the outback is owned by an old bloke about 70 who has had the car since new and the impreza has been owned by a woman in her mid 30's and she is the second owner .
    the outback has a hell of a lot more features and is a bigger car , but the AWD driveline is pretty much the same in subaru's i think . the motor is 500cc smaller in the impreza as well . the outback has a 4 speed auto and the impreza a 5 speed manual (i do actually [prefer a manual gearbox)
    but i would like to know which one is the more comfortable to drive as well , I am at the age now where comfort outweighs performance lol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Impreza would be my choice because it has 60000 less Km, its manual (i prefer manual also), it has a 500cc smaller more economical engine (that being manual will compensate for in terms of power), less to go wrong because of less gadgets and im guessing lighter.

Comfort? Your asking for too much. (buy the outback if you want comfort, they are pretty loaded with features)
    Last edited by Godzilla; 21-05-10 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks

Hi Personally id take the Outback new timing belt 200k Km service n heaps more comfort friendly, Never been flogged, or the impreza has about 60000 less k's on it and is 1500 bucks cheaper n will need the 200k Km service that will cost over $1500 soon n no where near as comfortable to drive

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I'd take the Outback too... but hey, thats just a personal thing.
    It's horse for courses... The Outback is somewhat different in the Drive Train, has a different all-wheel drive system and a Hi-Lo ratio (which really isn't worth a pinch of shit, but it has it)

As with anything you buy, do your research and know exactly what you are buying.
    Might pay to spend a day of 2 on the Subaru forums.. you will no doubt find some cheap cars there too.

But Godzilla makes a very good point, one vehicle is 2.0 and the other 2.5, i can tell you from personal experience, the 2.5 drinks like a fish compared to the 2.0
    You wouldn't think it, but we have a 2.5lt Forester in the family now, and for a light weight car and a manual, it sure can drink the fuel.
    We used to have some of the older RX wagons in a 2.0 and they were great on fuel, worlds apart from the 2.5

But in saying that, the 2.0 was right on its limits when loaded with people, add a trailer and you had to ring its neck out, thus fuel consumption went out the window. The new 2.5 donks have a bit more torque, fully loaded or towing isn't such an issue... you just to put up with the extra in fuel costs in the mean time.

I know many previous Outback owners that went on to buy a Nissan Patrol (for towing reasons) only to find that for $50,000 they bought a truck that has next to no appointments when compared to an Outback.... and if you wish to go one step further, buy a Jap Import Outback... more appointments than you can poke a stick at. I especially loved the Electric fold in mirrors with heaters behind the glass to defrost the mirror on cold mornings..... And not as gimmicky as you might think, i used to fold my mirrors in when parking near walking traffic.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-05-10 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

Hard choice, I like the subaru liberty/outback wagons more than the sedan and would prefer that to an impreza or foresta, but I find manuals are much more enjoyable to drive.

Outback
    + larger more practical space if you need it
    + not so low "lowrange" gear
    + comfort, interior
    + More able off road
    - auto
    - head gaskets and cylinder heads can warp when they fail (this is x2 on boxers obviously)
    - More k's
    - Higher running costs

Impreza
    + Manual
    + Less Km's
    + Cheaper to run
    + You'll be $1500 richer
    +/- Smaller- could be a pro or a con
    - Comfort
    - Clutches are expensive to replace in labor and could be on the horizon if it hasn't been done yet.

Is the impreza awd?. There were lower spec subaru's in the early / mid 90's that were FWD and not AWD. If it's a FWD i'd go the outback even if it is an auto, AWD's are really good to drive and where you can take them.

Thanks

any links to these forums ?
    and any other suggestions on vehicle ?
    main criteria is big enough to put a bale of lucerne or chook feed in the back , big enough for the family and preferably AWD or 4X4

Thanks

Ive been on the ausubaru site not the others. The ausubaru site is mainly about offroading and mods for offroad, but engine and other problems would be on there as well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gerbertron For This Useful Post:

ozchips (21-05-10)