Thread: Strong 4910 & WD 1TB eSATA In Astone Enclosure ISSUES

Thanks

Default Strong 4910 & WD 1TB eSATA In Astone Enclosure ISSUES

Gday All , I have just picked up the Strong SRT 4910 and I have been looking at the manual and have been very under-whelmed by the lack of information that is found in it, but that seems to be the way these days with any new electronics sold. I have had a huge issue with the Western Digital WD 1TB 1000GB External Hard Drive eSATA that is mounted in a Astone Enclosure and is sitting next to the new Strong 4910. The sat side of things is ok at this time but the terrestrial side is a huge issue, when I turn on the WD & Astone enclosure the terrestrial signal goes from a 96% to 30% or lower. I started to fault find and have changed the power supplies from the standard switch mode to a linear power supply for the WD and it helped a little but I still had an issue in decoding terrestrial TV station's and I live less than 10k's from all the TV towers for Sydney. I have been able to get it working ok by moving the WD unit as far away from the 4910 and I have it sitting at right angels to the 4910 and it is working ok now. If I put the WD & Astone enclosure in the same position but parallel to the SRT 4910 it is back under 30%. I wonder if you have had this type of issue or have heard about it ? This weekend I will be able to get into it and make a start on understanding this great new box and will I will keep in touch with the group and pass on my finding as I progress and see if anyone else is having the same type of issues. Well that's all for now, have a great weekend. Richard VK2UAL

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vk2ual View Post
    Gday All , I have just picked up the Strong SRT 4910 and I have been looking at the manual and have been very under-whelmed by the lack of information that is found in it, but that seems to be the way these days with any new electronics sold. I have had a huge issue with the Western Digital WD 1TB 1000GB External Hard Drive eSATA that is mounted in a Astone Enclosure and is sitting next to the new Strong 4910. The sat side of things is ok at this time but the terrestrial side is a huge issue, when I turn on the WD & Astone enclosure the terrestrial signal goes from a 96% to 30% or lower. I started to fault find and have changed the power supplies from the standard switch mode to a linear power supply for the WD and it helped a little but I still had an issue in decoding terrestrial TV station's and I live less than 10k's from all the TV towers for Sydney. I have been able to get it working ok by moving the WD unit as far away from the 4910 and I have it sitting at right angels to the 4910 and it is working ok now. If I put the WD & Astone enclosure in the same position but parallel to the SRT 4910 it is back under 30%. I wonder if you have had this type of issue or have heard about it ? This weekend I will be able to get into it and make a start on understanding this great new box and will I will keep in touch with the group and pass on my finding as I progress and see if anyone else is having the same type of issues. Well that's all for now, have a great weekend. Richard VK2UAL
    Richard,

A little puzzling, however, I suspect at your distance from the TX, overloading RF may be an issue... but where? The receiver works ok without the HDD attached, so there must be some interaction with it connected to cause a problem. Perhaps more RF entering the tuner via the circuit or cabling in the HDD.

You didn't mention if the terrestrial reception actually drops out, only that the displayed % drops.

It would be good if you have a way of accurately reading the digital terrestrial signals (and analogue too, as they are often a problem in close proximity to the TX) for digital channel power and pre-viterbi BER.

Are you using a roof-mounted TV antenna?... if so, is it designed to receive channels below channel 6? eg: ABC analogue Ch 2 & FM radio

Thanks

Gday to all, I have just bought a Seagate Expansion 1TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 to use with my great Strong SRT-4910 and it works fantastic, I am now able to use a hdd and not a 16gb usb stick drive, that was mind numbing at best. I now have no signal loss at all while the Seagate unit is in use. The Astone Western Digital WD 1TB External Hard Drive eSATA was just crap and I have tested to of these units and both have the same issue, it is like one of the units the military use over a wide spectrum to stop ied rf activation. The Astone Western Digital WD 1TB has all the good spec's ie FCC and CE tested on the box but I suspect the names on the box is as close to each service as it gets. It seems to be a huge issue now with gear out of China have printed on the box and unit that is meets all the CE - FCC standards but it hs never been tested and is just diabolically noisy on the RF side of things. I have a Twin-SATA-IDE-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Dock-Docking-Station and it wipes out AM radio stations in Sydney totally when plugged in. Well that's all for now, thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue it is greatly appreciated. Richard