Thread: DVD to AVI to USA playback??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default DVD to AVI to USA playback??

Some months ago a friend sent a DVD I had made Region Free for him to a person in the USA.
    Of course it wouldnt play on their computer/DVD player.
    We wernt sure it would but tried it anyway.
    I have been wondering ever since if this movie was converted to AVI format, would it play back on the other persons computer in the USA ?

If it did they could maybe convert it to play on the US system but to get it to play is the most important thing.
    After all, people worldwide download from Bit Torrent sites and they play so would this work for us?

Any body done this before and if so, did it work?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It wont work on most of their stand alone equipment like tv's and dvd players because they only like ntsc. Computers are different and it wont matter if the dvd's ntsc or pal if it's region free, It's most likely the media player program causing a problem. Id suggest the program "VLC" it seems to play everything.

For the dvd to work you'd need to encode it region free again and ntsc instead of pal for the output.

AVI would work fine.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thanks geberton,
    The person in the US doesnt know anything about programs period, so AVI would be the preferred choice for them.
    I only mentioned converting it as an option which I doubt they could or would want to do.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

tell them vlc
    its easier
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

If they're using windows media player or what ever media player came with their computer they probably will have problems playing back avi's unless the right codec's are installed.

VLC will play back the dvd or avi's without problems.

Id sent email them a couple of links like this to show them what to do and where to download it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mh9e3Rb4SM]YouTube - VLC: Free Tiny DVD Player and Media Player (Win/MAC/Linux)[/ame]

Forget all the complicated stuff in the video you dont need it and it get's confusing. All they need to learn from this video is how to open the file which is quite easy.

Once the video is open in vlc all you need to do is double click the sceen to go full screen and double click again to go back to normal.