Thread: Anyone in sydney wanna earn some quick cash setting up a wireless network?

Thanks

Default Anyone in sydney wanna earn some quick cash setting up a wireless network?

Ive had nothign but headaches with this friggin belkin wireless adapter which lets my lappy connect ot my main box (which is connected via lan to the modem)
    Everytime i unplug the bastard, it asks for the drivers (not an issue) BUT then it pukes whenever you try to reset the friggin network.
    I had it going for 12 weeks or so without a problem, then today after the system totally shit itself, the network shit itself too.

Tried system restore, tried acronys true image restoration, nada, still no cigar.

the icons tell me its connected, tried browing on teh lapy.. nothing.. tried checkign networked drives, nothign.. i called belkin support, theyre telling me its not their problem,
    Ive got dodgy IPs (Lappy should be 192.168.0.2) but it isnt..

Its drivign me friggin mad..

Anyone who knows how to set this up should be able to do it in half an hour or so and theres 75bux in it for your troubles.
    I have no idea how i got it going last time, it was simply trial and error and the thing worked.
    Now it doesnt, and i really CBF wasting any more time on it.

Im down south west sydney (10mins from liverpool) so if ur out to make a quick buck or just enough for weekend drinkies, drop me a PM

Any help appreciated

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Try a linksys access point mate.

you get what you pay for with this stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

what are you using as a wireless access point?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    what are you using as a wireless access point?
    how do u mean?

the way the system is set up isthat the main system is connected via a DLink adsl2 modem through ethernet

this machine has then got a USB dongle 54g transmitter which alows teh laptop to connect via Peer to peer adhoc (I think)

the issue is that everytime the friggin dongle is removed or if the system crashes, i have to keep reinstalling the adapter and resretting the network.

I dont know how much more of a benefit an actual wireless modem would offer as I wouldnt know how to set this up in the first place..

nothing but headaches..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    how do u mean?

the way the system is set up isthat the main system is connected via a DLink adsl2 modem through ethernet

this machine has then got a USB dongle 54g transmitter which alows teh laptop to connect via Peer to peer adhoc (I think)

the issue is that everytime the friggin dongle is removed or if the system crashes, i have to keep reinstalling the adapter and resretting the network.

I dont know how much more of a benefit an actual wireless modem would offer as I wouldnt know how to set this up in the first place..

nothing but headaches..
    If your DLink modem has more than a single Ethernet port adding a wireless access point will be much easier, what model is your modem?

Thanks

i can help out mate, depending on your location. just checked your op, livos a bit far.

Adhoc mode isnt that stable you'd be better off spending that $75 towards a wireless adsl 2+ modem.
    That should save you messing around with adhoc networking.
    wireless modems are very easy to setup and will save you alot of troubles.

Thanks

ive got a DLink 502, which is a pretty basic modem connectd via ethernet to this main box.
    ust had a chant to a suplier and hes got the wireless port with 4 ethernet connections for $68bux (back when i got this dongle, these cost ofer 500 bux, so.....

Anyways...
    Apparently i cna jstu connect the modem to the hub and then the bub connects to everythgn else..
    I still woudnt have the faintest idea of how to set this up,but im sick of messin with it and It really woul dbe nice to have the PS3 access the net via wireless and be able toset up mediaserver anyway...

I just dont have tthe time, nor the knowledge to mess with this shite

Thanks

or you can just get a wireless router to connect to the modem and then your ps3, laptop and desktop all connect toe the wireless router. This will save you alot of messing around, either that or a new modem/router.

modem(dlink)---->router--->>>>( )<<--------laptop, PS3,Desktop(wirelessly)

alot less complicated than messing around with adhoc mode, espically if you value your time.

Thanks

where r u located mate?
    Im in south west syd.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post

alot less complicated than messing around with adhoc mode, espically if you value your time.
    agree, adhoc is not suitable for a permanent situation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    agree, adhoc is not suitable for a permanent situation

agree as well, had tied the same myself and gave up using that method.. would have to reboot the main PC most times just to get the laptop onto the wireless. Added a wireless router that connects to the ADSL modem and all is good, not a problem at all.

Thanks

so um... I got my Dlink 524 router and wireless thingy... hooked it up and my main machine thats conencted to the net (this one) works fine

Aside from that, its now asking for a tonne fo other wireles sinfo which i dont have..

Do i have to set up a wireless network from the wirelss network connection wizard or what do i do now?

Any ideas?

I dont want it to tbe point to point as i had it before, coz the PS3 couldnt connect to it... all i want is to connect all the units (this machine through Lan) and the lappy and PS3 through wirelss permanently

How would i go about doing that?

Thanks

so ive goten rid o of the ad hoc settings on the laptop, and ran the windows network setup wizard and did th elil thing with the USB memory stick.

the router shows that a connection has been made, but the lapy is now saying limted or no connectivity....

depsite trying to reboot an switching from access point to infastructure netwrok, im gettin the same results..

any ideas?

Thanks

its ok, all sorted now

Thanks

On your laptop there should be a wireless icon in the task bar. Double click on the icon and then if you are not connected click on view networks and see if you can see your network and connect to it. Depending on what security you have set up at the wireless hub you probably have to enter a security number you set up at the hub.