Thread: just about everytime start car, stereo resets to factory settings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default just about everytime start car, stereo resets to factory settings

Just about everytime I start my car, my stereo resets itself back to factory defaults, all the preset stations go and when powered on I get 87.5 fm, or if cd is in, it plays first track. Its getting quite painfull, have to adjust the base again and reprogram my stations only to lose them, now I dont even bother.

Its like my battery is disconnected but its not, recently had a problem with a fuse held in by lose contacts, turned out to be the fuse powering cigar socket and stereo. Sorted that out but still the factory resets. Always happens when I start the car. Possible the battery is bad and not keeping the +12v on yellow wire to back of stereo?

2. Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gareth41 View Post
    Just about everytime I start my car, my stereo resets itself back to factory defaults, all the preset stations go and when powered on I get 87.5 fm, or if cd is in, it plays first track. Its getting quite painfull, have to adjust the base again and reprogram my stations only to lose them, now I dont even bother.

Its like my battery is disconnected but its not, recently had a problem with a fuse held in by lose contacts, turned out to be the fuse powering cigar socket and stereo. Sorted that out but still the factory resets. Always happens when I start the car. Possible the battery is bad and not keeping the +12v on yellow wire to back of stereo?
    It appears to be losing power when the engine cranks over, indicating the battery is possibly very low.

The stereo may also have a storage capacitor inside, which is designed to hold sufficient charge so as to provide sufficient 'backup power' during engine starting. That capacitor may be faulty.

Thanks

Best to check your connections around that fuse problem you had and all other connections to your radio.
    To me it sounds like a severe voltage drop or no power on your back up supply to the radio.
    Its not your battery as it would have to stop cranking your car to effect the radio.

Thanks

Am I understanding this correctly? Are you saying that your yellow 'memory' wire is connected directly to the battery?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Make sure you have a permanent fused positive directly from the battery and not from your fuse box or elsewhere in the line before the ignition.
    With a separate line there should be no problem with drain through the system, but make sure the terminal has a good connection to the battery terminal.

Make sure you also have a good direct chassis earth.

Thanks

The yellow wire is still in its original place, havent run it directly to battery, I just call it 12v from battery because its permanently on as long as theres a charged battery under the hood.

Thinking about it now, I have a feeling it may be the battery. The car was sitting for a week and would hardly start afterwards, almost needed jumper leads. Other cars ive seen sitting longer than that and they still start no problems. When I first got the car it had a flat battery and had been sitting on the dealers lot for several months, had trouble getting it to charge then when I test drove car, but the dealer did something (more water I think) and it was fine after that and started. My stereo was installed later and initially after install it would reset maybe once in a few days. Now its happens just about every time I start the engine. I guess my best bet is to try another battery that I know is in good cond.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I guess my best bet is to try another battery that I know is in good cond.
    Yep... that's what I'd be doing.

Obviously it's going to help starting and powering the car as well.

It's probably worth having the charging system checked too.... if it's faulty, it can kill a new battery very quickly.

Thanks

Lightbulb

I've had this same problem with a couple stereos that I've installed over the past couple years. The only thing that is plausible here would be that the internal capacitor is faulty. I haven't had any problems with any other stereos. I even switched out head units and that problem stopped. Your best bet would be to get a different head unit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Korrupt View Post
    I've had this same problem with a couple stereos that I've installed over the past couple years. The only thing that is plausible here would be that the internal capacitor is faulty. I haven't had any problems with any other stereos. I even switched out head units and that problem stopped. Your best bet would be to get a different head unit.
    I'm guessing he has this sorted already, a year ago maybe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It would be nice to know what the cause was. Hey Gareth, how about an update as to what the problem was ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

My Toyota Troopy was doing the same thing, but to make it worse I had the main power to the radio taken from an auxilliary battery, but there was still a connection from ignition to the radio. Eventually i found out it was the main battery. It would still start the Troopy though most times. Only if I left it for about 3 or 4 days it would crank slow. Replaced the battery and fixed the problem. Later I powered it from the main battery as well and fixed my annoying buzz too...