Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    I had a great trip. The GPS performed very well (better at times than my mate's Garmin) apart from no sound due to not communicating with my Autocom communication system. Had a slight problem with memory with 36 via points on the route after the first day as it wanted me to go back to the first via point so I just deleted all points already passed and the system was ok after that. The only other problem was with the mounting plate which is held in place with 4 short allen key bolts. 2 bolts vibrated loose and fell out. I have since replaced the bolts with longer ones in the reverse direction with nyloc nuts. At a minimum you should loctite the bolts. Regards, Garson

Thanks for the tips Garson

Thanks

Another quick update.

The bad news.
    (1) The plastic clip that holds the GPS into the cradle broke completely off. I don't think I forced it, but who knows. Some double-sided auto trim tape now holds the GPS in the cradle and I just remove the whole cradle when I want to take it off the bike.

(2) The original music player has stopped working. The app loads OK, and appears to be playing music, but it never actually starts. It did work for a while but then crapped out while I had the FreddySam skin loaded. Maybe there was a conflict and a file has become corrupted.

(3) I ended up backing out the FreddySam skin as I preferred the original motorcycle interface. Bigger buttons for gloves & simpler screen display.

(4) To turn the Bluetooth speaker on/off, you need to hold the button down for an extended period.
    The Instruction book is completely wrong regarding pressing it twice. (at least for my unit)

The good news.
    (1) A friend put me onto an app called bbMenu that provides an alternate menu system that does not require any modifications to the WinCE registry. This is similar to the MyBoot app but IMHO, has more flexibility. Its easy enough to modify and allows you to load additional apps.

(2) I also found a way to overcome the single via point problem. The iGO Amigo software will only allow you to enter 1 via point from the GPS screen, however it is more than happy to ready multiple via points if you load them via the "back-door".

You could create a multi-via point route in another mapping program (say iGO8) and copy it over, but I prefer Google Maps because using a nice big PC screen to plot a complex route sure beats using a 3.5inch screen.

Just create your desired route in Google Maps, including your multiple via points, export the kml file and then load this kml file into the \Content\UserData\Route folder. You can also use this method to load routes into the iGO8 software.

Just make sure that the via points are in the correct sequence (look at the left hand side of the Google map).

The GPS unit uses the via point sequence to calculate and display the route. Start, V1, V2, V3, Finish is correct, but Start, V1, V3, Finish, V2 is incorrect and will have your GPS back-tracking to V2 after you reach your finish point.

When you restart your GPS, and menu through to Load Route screen, your new route will be/should be listed there.

Overall, and allowing for the crappy plastic cradle and non-functioning music player, I am reasonably happy with the unit. First long multi-day ride comes up this week-end, so fingers crossed it all works.
    Last edited by Murphyau; 31-08-10 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks

Great info Murphy. How do you export a KML file from Google Maps? I just did a quick bit of research with their "help", but got not far fast.

Also, with the cradle clip, there is a knack to it - there is a front and back part which you squeeze together at the top, a bit like a clip board folder. I've felt the clip nearly break when I haven't done it this way. [This is for the benefit of those who haven't broken theirs yet].

Can't your unit be held on the cradle by the connection-locking-waterproofing thingy - that little chrome fastener?

Thanks

I doubt that the KML export info is in their FAQ. I certainly never found it there, but I did spent a few hours Googling around and finally stumbled on it.

Create your Google map. I found it best to use the right mouse click to bring up Directions From and Direction To, rather than just typing in the locations.

Drag the route to where you actually want it to go, then save the maps.

Now open the map again, which allows you to edit it, and add the blue balloon place markers where you want your via points to be, making sure that they are in the correct sequence. The GPS unit uses the via point sequence to calculate and display the route.

I usually call the via points V1, V2, etc, but you can use whatever you like.

Start, V1, V2, V3, Finish is correct, but Start, V1, V3, Finish, V2 is incorrect even if it looks OK on the Google map. You can drag and drop the place markers in the left hand side menu of Google maps.

Click on the Link button (top RH corner) and copy the Email / IM url.

Open a new browser window, and paste the Email / IM Link into the address bar, but do not press the "Enter" key yet.

Add "&output=kml" to the end of the very long web address.

For example
    "http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102005992496987371.454 315&z=10"
    becomes
    "http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102005992496987371.454 315&z=10&output=kml"

(Leave off the two quotation marks " ". They are needed to stop the Forum software trying turning the example into an actual url).

Now press "Enter" and you will be asked to save the file to your PC.

Sign out of Google Maps and you now have a KML file you can upload into your GPS unit.
    Last edited by Murphyau; 31-08-10 at 02:37 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Murphyau For This Useful Post:

SprintMan1050 (30-10-10)

Thanks

Regarding the cradle clip and the locking pin. I was just squeezing the two pieces together like you are supposed to do and the clip fractured along the fold line. I don't think I forced it, rather I think it is a poor design.

The small metal locking clip is very small and while it stays in one piece , it should be OK, but I was concerned that one of the tiny pins on the clip might break after multiple uses and my GPS would end up bouncing down the road.

The double sided auto trim tape (SupaCheapAuto or Repco), is weatherproof and very strong. I applied a 2 cm long strip on each side of the GPS unit, then locked it into the cradle with the metal locking clip. I put some silicone goop on the clip so that it won't vibrate loose.

It's not that hard to take the whole cradle off, just loosed the big wing nut that holds the cradle to the handlebar clamp.
    Last edited by Murphyau; 31-08-10 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks

With respect to the kml file, I'm wondering whether it would work without the blue markers in Google Maps, as the route is already where you want it, and the kml file seems to be a series of lats and longs to force the route where you want it anyway.

Thanks

From the couple of test exercises I've done so far, the GPS does not seem to use the various long/lat co-ords in the KLM file, except the Start and Finish points and any Marker points.

In the absence of any Marker points, the GPS just uses the two end points, plus its own internal routing settings, and generate its own route.

This GPS route will have the same start and finish points but may not be the same road route that you created on Google Maps. By using Marker (via) points, you "fix" the route to exactly where you want it to be.

Best advice I can give is to play a round and see what meets your needs.

Thanks

Default Aldi S350

I hope that someone can help. I called the helpline but it wasn't much of a help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    I hope that someone can help. I called the helpline but it wasn't much of a help.
    alevin, I have also had no help from the helpline or email regarding using alternate GPS headsets. I noticed when I updated my maps on Naviextras that the update mentioned for Strike. The Strike GPS looks identical to the Go Cruise and is also Bluetooth enabled but more expensive. Maybe someone knows a way to load different Bluetooth files onto the Go Cruise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    Is there anyone there can solve this problem with the Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS will not communicate with the bluetooth of autocom system. can anyone tell me what i need to do. it will be much appriciated as i'm happy with the GPS but will like to use only the autocom motorcycle system.

Kind Regards,

alevin
    alevin, I was browsing another forum and found someone who was going to try cutting off the speaker from the aldi bluetooth adaptor and replacing it with a 3.5mm audio jack and plugging it into the spare autocom socket. So, I tried it myself and it worked. I have not tried wiring it up to the bikes power yet so I just have to recharge the bluetooth adaptor after each ride but I now get sound from the GPS and all the other devices work as well.

Only tricky thing is when you cut the speaker wire it has 4 very fine wires inside. You need to join the blue and green wires together and the red and yellow wires together. Use a cigarette lighter to burn about 5mm of the fine insulation from the ends then connect the pair of wires to the 3.5mm audio jack (refer CAT. NO. PP0136 JAYCAR)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Guys,

FYI..
    The S350 is quite a competent little GPS unit with a few minor bugs. (and around $300 below nearest competitor) - including the Strike clone.

It will not recognise "other" bluetooth recievers, so as Garson advised just cut off the little speaker from the Bluetooth unit and add a mono 3.5 mm in line socket. Now you have a versatile unit that you can plug a std 3.5 jack headset into and use when walking, in the car, on the old pushbike or on the motorcycle.

The unit does act kinda glitchy when first setting up, but after using for a while, seems to normalise. Also it does not recognise satellite signals as easy as the previous Go Cruise motorcycle GPS

Mine had the scroll bar for extended menus so close to the side of the screen I needed to use a stylus to get the screen to slide up and down to access settings off screen - but it worked fine after discovering this.

Re things coming loose; when something is designed for a vehicle subject to vibration etc. it is always advisable to ensure things don't fall of, come loose etc. Check tighten all screws, bolts etc and a little Loctite Wick-in will seal everything against coming loose.

Re breaking the securing clip. it is easy to do until you look at the way it clips into the recess on top of the GPS unit, if you notice that it just needs to lift enough for the protruding tongue under the clip to clear the recess in top of the unit to slide it out of the cradle, it is unlikely that you will break the clip.

Personnally, I am happy enough with the software out of the box, so do not have any other issues. Sure the unit could have accessed all Bluetooth devices and it could do with the capability for more way points, but these are not real issues and for a simple, easy to use and cost effective GPS designed for motorbike I would give it 7/10

Thanks

The only other problem was with the mounting plate which is held in place with 4 short allen key bolts. 2 bolts vibrated loose and fell out. I have since replaced the bolts with longer ones in the reverse direction with nyloc nuts. At a minimum you should loctite the bolts. Regards, Garson
    This happened to me too, so I second the advice.

Thanks

Default S350 and Scala rider G4

I have recently purchased both a S350 GPS from Aldi and a Scala rider G4 and am impressed with both units very disappointed that they cant comunicate with each other. The Scala Apears on screen when trying to pair but nothing happens. Have been told that they cant do it by help line but cant see why not if anyone comes up with a fix it would be great as I'm Going from Brisbane to Moto Gp and on to Tassie and one less thing on my helmet and to charge would be great other that that highly reccomend both products.

Thanks

Unhappy No Bluetooth

When I spoke to support today, they told me this GPS was specifically designed not to work with headsets other than the supplied unit.

Pretty limiting, for what otherwise is a good value for money GPS. 2 bluetooth units on my helmet is looking silly until I work something out.

Thanks

Default Aldi S350 Motorcycle GPS accessories

Aldi GPS fans...

In case any of you are interested in accessories for the motorcycle GPS, then check out the Strike website. The units look identical, and items such as different size brackets and windscreen mounts or cradles are available for purchase (). It would be interesting to find out if you can download the Strike Naviextras map version, as it looks much more high tech, with more options available. The lack of other bluetooth headsets compatibility is a shame, but is simply a software issue, and hopefully can be overcome by switching to another map/software version. Also if you haven't already figured it out, this unit comes with a latest map guarantee, so go to ,register and download the Toolbox, connect your device and you will have the latest Australia and NZ maps!

Thanks

Question

Hi - I am a newbie here having joined because I'm having problems with my Go Cruise Motorcycle GPS. It was bought last yeare (Sept 09) and due to circumstances, I have only now had it installed on my bike. The problem is when I try to install Route66 maps on it, I keep getting an error message!! I spent most of yesterday afternoon/night trying everything from uninstalling Route66/re-installing etc, etc but with no luck. It is a model S350 windows CE Core 5.0. I know you have discussed installing other map software on it, but I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding this. The System info is as follows:
    Processor: SiRFAtlas-III
    Platform: 3.0.13
    RAM Total: 128 MB
    Version: 090601.O000.SP00.100A
    It has a 1GB SD card as well.
    Would the information provided here be applicable to this older model Go Cruise GPS?? I would really appreciate some help as I my knowledge of this sort of stuff is limited. I am heading to the Snowy Run at Thredbo later this week and would like to have this system up an running if possible. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elaress View Post
    Would the information provided here be applicable to this older model Go Cruise GPS?? I would really appreciate some help as I my knowledge of this sort of stuff is limited. I am heading to the Snowy Run at Thredbo later this week and would like to have this system up an running if possible. Thanks in advance.
    I replaced the original Route 66 on my unit with Igo8. Instructions are in the Igo section here.
    Always had trouble with the FM receiver on the older unit, and now have the newer bluetooth model.

Thanks

Only tricky thing is when you cut the speaker wire it has 4 very fine wires inside. You need to join the blue and green wires together and the red and yellow wires together. Use a cigarette lighter to burn about 5mm of the fine insulation from the ends then connect the pair of wires to the 3.5mm audio jack (refer CAT. NO. PP0136 JAYCAR)
    Hi Garson...after you join the blue/green and red/yellow wires together, which wire is connected to which terminal on the audio jack - or doesn't it matter.....could you send or post a photo if possible?

I've been using this GPS and headset since August and it's performed great, I just wish that it was compatible with other bluetooth headsets.

Now that I've got the GPS wired to the bike I'm now looking at setting up a tankbag on the bike with the bluetooth headset, iPod, iPhone etc all plugged into a mixer or splitter and then output the signal to headphones....Next step after that will be connecting power to the tankbag using a Powerlet system.

Thanks

alevin, I have also had no help from the helpline or email regarding using alternate GPS headsets. I noticed when I updated my maps on Naviextras that the update mentioned for Strike. The Strike GPS looks identical to the Go Cruise and is also Bluetooth enabled but more expensive. Maybe someone knows a way to load different Bluetooth files onto the Go Cruise.
    What model Strike did you get? mine doesnt have bluetooth... I really wish it did though!

Thanks

Default Bluetooth

I am not too tech savy when it comes to GPS, this is a new world to me but I am pretty good with PC's (No expert though), I was wondering if this is too simple an answer to the Bluetooth issue.

1. I looked at the strike GPS and as mentioned here it is the same unit as the ALDI model
    2. They sell it bundled with a SCALA system (which to me means it can be connected to other bluetooth devices)

Solution : Find someone who is willing to share their Strike (backed up software) and load it on to the Go Cruise

Would this work ?

Cheers
    Last edited by MGodfrey; 12-12-10 at 08:27 AM.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast