Thread: Strange DM500s LNB/Antenna problem

Thanks

Default Strange DM500s LNB/Antenna problem

Hi, I brought my first DM500s today, I spent the last month researching and I thought I knew exactly what I needed to do but instead I have a problem. I cannott get the coxal cable to fit into the LNB input or output at the back of the box. I literally had a working sky box which I removed, in the back of that I had 2 antenna cables (1 for my areal and another from the sky dish) and neither of them will fit because they are to big. I was thinking i could remove the head of the cables which would just leave the wire and insert that but it doesnt seem right. They both look like this and the middle part of each is to big for the small holes in the dreambox.
    The weirdest part is tho even tho my Dreambox even says DM500s on the front, the 2 connections on the back for the wires are labeled "Ant" for antenna input and output, this is how a DM500-C/T should be labeled for cable, and a DM500s should be labeled as LNB for satellite. Its almost like i have a DM500s made for cable.
    Thought this was interesting but maybe im just making a stupid mistake, any advice welcome.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Cian500 View Post
    Hi, I brought my first DM500s today, I spent the last month researching and I thought I knew exactly what I needed to do but instead I have a problem. I cannott get the coxal cable to fit into the LNB input or output at the back of the box. I literally had a working sky box which I removed, in the back of that I had 2 antenna cables (1 for my areal and another from the sky dish) and neither of them will fit because they are to big. I was thinking i could remove the head of the cables which would just leave the wire and insert that but it doesnt seem right. They both look like this and the middle part of each is to big for the small holes in the dreambox.
    The weirdest part is tho even tho my Dreambox even says DM500s on the front, the 2 connections on the back for the wires are labeled "Ant" for antenna input and output, this is how a DM500-C/T should be labeled for cable, and a DM500s should be labeled as LNB for satellite. Its almost like i have a DM500s made for cable.
    Thought this was interesting but maybe im just making a stupid mistake, any advice welcome.
    Yes, odd to say the least. Should look like this:-

Seems they've used an adapter on this Belling Lee Cable.
    Have you checked the carton to see if any adapters there.

Don't strip the connector as you suggest as the LNB is powered with 18/12 Volts, 2 connections.
    That will not work. Take it up with the vendor.
    They've given you the wrong cable as well as mislabeled box.
    A Clone no doubt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If it has PAL connectors as shown in your link, these are usually only used for terrestrial antennas.

If that type of connector is on your decoder it's either not a satellite or cable decoder, or it's been manufactured incorrectly.

Satellite and cable decoders always use F connectors.

Sounds like you have the wrong decoder for satellite.

Check with the seller.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies but no I did not get any adaptors. Like mtv said I think what I need is an f connector. Does anyone know if i could just snip off the head of my current cable and place on a screw on f connector and would that fit my dreambox and sky box? thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the replies but no I did not get any adaptors. Like mtv said I think what I need is an f connector. Does anyone know if i could just snip off the head of my current cable and place on a screw on f connector and would that fit my dreambox and sky box? thanks
    NO !!!!!!!

Well, what I showed you was a Belling Lee cable with an F6 adapter.
    However that doesn't solve your problem.
    The question still remains, is it a Satellite or Cable Box ?
    I repeat, the only recourse that you have, is the
    Vendor.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Post a pic of the back of your receiver.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

YESS...!!!

For crying out loud Beer4LIfe, what the hell is wrong with what the OP suggested? Sounds like a perfectly feasible thing to do. Read his post carefully, his cable is the OLD existing system, it has Belling-Lee/PAL connectors on it. His Dreambox is the NEW hardware with F-connector sockets on it.

Cian500, yes, installing an F-connector on the cable coming from your satellite dish will get you out of trouble.

I'll be a bit pedantic, and mention that your old cable might not be RG6 (used for most sat. installations) and might be RG59 (smaller, TV coax). If that's the case, you may need to purchase F-connectors for this size cable. RG59 is not the 'best' for satellite reception, but it should still work. An easier option might be to get a F-to-PAL adapter. Then you wouldn't have to cut your cable.

Satellite Dreambox connectors are labelled "Ant" because that is exactly what a satellite dish is. An antenna.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think the OP needs to clarify if the decoder does or doesn't have F connectors because from his description it is not clear to me.

If he had a working Sky box as he said, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume he would have had F type cables for it, which should also fit a DM?

Clan500, as Leroy suggested, if you can post a pic of the rear of your decoder showing the connectors, that would solve any confusion.

Thanks

Pray tell, what fittings are on the Wall Plate, if any ?

If it's as simple as suggested, why hasn't he just used an existing cable ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Pray tell, what fittings are on the Wall Plate, if any ?
    Wallplate? Did someone mention wallplate? What wallplate?

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    If it's as simple as suggested, why hasn't he just used an existing cable ?
    Um, because they have PAL-type RF connectors on them? (as illustrated in the OP's OP)

Look, Cian500 was just a bit confused with the fact that the LNB input on his DM500 says "Ant". I think my last post may have cleared that up for him.

It also sounds like the last satellite receiver the guy had (sky?) used PAL-type RF connectors for whatever reason. These will need to be changed to F-type connectors. Either by cutting the old connectors off, and installing new ones, or using a couple of adapters.

Cian500, do you still have the Sky box? There's a possibility there are F-to-PAL adapters still screwed onto the back of it, and all you did was pull the (PAL) leads out from those adapters. It is very unusual for a satellite receiver to use the Belling-Lee/PAL/IEC169-2 connectors that you showed.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    .... It also sounds like the last satellite receiver the guy had (sky?) used PAL-type RF connectors for whatever reason. ....
    ... I literally had a working sky box which I removed, in the back of that I had 2 antenna cables (1 for my areal and another from the sky dish)
    It would seem likely that the FTA terrestrial antenna used a PAL connector, but I've never seen any satellite decoder use PAL connectors.

We are all assuming exactly what the OP is describing as it's not clear and can be misconstrued.

The OP also thinks there's something odd between what his DM decoder looks like and what other DM decoders look like, so the only definitive way of knowing what his decoder connections look like it to see them, hence the request for the OP to upload a pic.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The OP also thinks there's something odd between what his DM decoder looks like and what other DM decoders look like
    From his first post, I think the abbreviation "Ant" stamped into the backplane of the receiver above the LNB IN and OUT sockets, threw him a bit. As in, he thought "Ant" meant terrestrial antenna, not satellite antenna.

I betcha a rep. click, the PAL-to-F adapters are still on the Sky box. Which as I suspect, does in fact have F-sockets for its tuners.

Thanks

I certainly hope you don't run out of tickets. I raised the question of adapters in my/first reply.

There is an intrinsic need to Analise the original post objectively.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I cannott get the coxal cable to fit into the LNB input or output at the back of the box.
    Right, problem with lead, NOT receiver.

I literally had a working sky box which I removed, in the back of that I had 2 antenna cables (1 for my areal and another from the sky dish) and neither of them will fit because they are to big. I was thinking i could remove the head of the cables which would just leave the wire and insert that but it doesnt seem right. They both look like this and the middle part of each is to big for the small holes in the dreambox.
    Dreambox' have F-connectors, not PAL. Picture and description supports earlier supposition, problem with lead, not receiver.

Member is mistaken, DM500S' do in fact have ANT, NOT LNB, marked on their backplane, as he believes. But he is happy to admit he could be wrong. Still fairly obvious, problem is with lead, not receiver.

Member has NOT mentioned being supplied leads with Dreambox, he specifically said the leads were part of his existing system. He described PAL connectors on the leads and provided a photo to illustrate his observations.

I really fail to see any ambiguity in Cian500's first post. He simply needs F-connectors on his leads.

@Beer4Life, is that intrinsically Analised (sic) objectively enough?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

... Member is mistaken, DM500S' do in fact have ANT, NOT LNB, marked on their backplane, as he believes. But he is happy to admit he could be wrong. Still fairly obvious, problem is with lead, not receiver.
    DM500S receivers do in fact have "F" connectors and they are marked ANT (In and Out) not LNB.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mtv (26-07-13),Onefella (26-07-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    DM500S receivers do in fact have "F" connectors and they are marked ANT (In and Out) not LNB.
    Thanks for backing me up on those points.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for backing me up on those points.
    No problem.

It applies to all the clones I've come across as well as the genuine receiver.
    Last edited by tristen; 28-07-13 at 03:12 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Now that my gray-matter is working after a good night's sleep, I've remembered seeing several Sky Boxes in my travels, and that in addition to a standard female F connector for LNB In, they also have provision for terrestrial TV In and Out on the rear panel. These connections are Belling-Lee (otherwise known as PAL or IEC 169-2) connectors.

This might explain most if not all of the confusion arising from the information provided in the OP's post, although he fails to mention having any cable with an F connector fitted.