Thread: Electrical frequency (50 vh 60 Hz) impact on battery charging

Thanks

Default Electrical frequency (50 vh 60 Hz) impact on battery charging

Hi all,

We've got this toy from the US which requires the SLA battery to be charged using the charger which runs on 120V/60Hz electricity.

To use it here in Australian, I'm was thinking of using the step down transformer to (240 V to 120V) to be able to use the charger. However I'm not sure whether the differences in the frequency is something to worry about in charging an SLA batter. If so, does anyone think this cause longer/shorter time for a charge.

Any ideas/thought?

Cheers

Look Here ->

Thanks

Get a suitable charger that runs on 240v. You'll save a lot of messing around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mtanudji View Post
    Hi all,

We've got this toy from the US which requires the SLA battery to be charged using the charger which runs on 120V/60Hz electricity.

To use it here in Australian, I'm was thinking of using the step down transformer to (240 V to 120V) to be able to use the charger. However I'm not sure whether the differences in the frequency is something to worry about in charging an SLA batter. If so, does anyone think this cause longer/shorter time for a charge.

Any ideas/thought?

Cheers

G'Day Cobber,
    I can't imagine that there would be a problem.
    Most consumer items these days incorporating SMPS are rated between 90 and 260 Volts @ 50/60 Hz. In other words wide input range without the need change a switch or jumper. But if rated at 120 V you would still need the stepdown transformer.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Premium Member
    Thanks

The stepdown transformer would likely cost far more than a locally sourced suitable 240V charger for that battery. Apart from that though, the 50Hz frequency simply means the ripple frequency is a little lower which shouldn't make any difference at all as the charger is rectifying and (hopefully) regulating the charging output. The charger should have a rating label which will give you a few clues as to what's possible EG AC voltage supply limits as per beer4life's post above. If it's a plugpack I wouldn't be cracking it open.

Thanks

Recently adapted a Milwaukee charger for Oz supply. Had to change the MOV surge protector on the input side. Also the circuit was set up as a voltage doubler on the input, a simple cut on a track allowed the circuit to operate with OZ supply voltage.

Safest way would be to buy an OZ rated charger not to mention potential insurance issues if a fire started from non approved equipment.
    Last edited by dogsbreath; 15-12-10 at 05:21 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

for strictly "Charging" purposes i can't see where the 50hz vs 60hz would make/cause a problem !

my2cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    for strictly "Charging" purposes i can't see where the 50hz vs 60hz would make/cause a problem !

my2cents
    Never had a problem, most ag irrigators are US std, use the 120V supply in those to charge back up SLA for telemetry. The only thing that makes me wonder, non of this stuff has c tick or any other approvals, nor AS wiring