Thread: Bluray ripping

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Bluray ripping

Ok , I am a bit of a bluray newb and have finally bought a bluray player and cant believe how good it looks on a 60 inch plasma.

I have about half a dozen bluray movies that I got with the player and from what I have read ( please correct me if wrong ) if I have a bluray drive on a PC I can rip them in to an .mkv file that will keep the sound and picture quality.

If this is the case and there is no quality loss , how big are the .mkv files compared to the original movie file ? Is .mkv a compressed format like .avi ?
    I am thinking I could rip them all to .mkv and keep them on my Vu+ Duo which has a 2 TB hard drive.

Thanks in advance
    Sanity

Look Here ->
    Thanks

No idea on how to rip BluRays but I do know something of video files.

A mkv is a container as is an avi. It is what you put in the container that makes the difference. mkv's are now often used because you can put more and different things in the container, ie subtitles, more than 2 audio streams etc that you can't with an avi.

Anyway traditionally avi's contain a video stream encoded by MPEG-4 Part2 (ie xvid or dvix) and up to 2 audio streams encoded in either mp3, AC3, AAC or DTS.

mkv's tradionally use AVC (H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10) for the video with multiple encoded audio streams encoded in either mp3, AC3, AAC or DTS and subtitles.

The visual quality of the ripped BluRay depends ultimately on the video/audio rate and as this increases so does the file size, so some comprises are made. BluRay Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 48 Mbit/s (for both audio and video data), and a maximum video bit rate of 40 Mbit/s. The video can be encoded in MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and SMPTE VC-1. The last 2 codecs allow more video per disk due to their better compression efficiency.

So when the Bluray is ripped you usually use a lower bit rate so that the file is smaller, but you don't have to. A single sided BluRay disk can hold 25GB, dual layer 50GB.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssrattus For This Useful Post:

roosta (26-11-10)

Thanks

To backup your BluRays AnyDVD and DVDfab seem to back up most .DVDfab will let you pick its bones and reduce size .Iso's are great for HTPC boxes no mucking around shuffling around your original disc .

• The Following User Says Thank You to pieces For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I use Makemkv to rip my blurays to mkv. I use my TV to stream them from a hdd, (TV has built in media player that can play mkv).... I only load movies I know that I will watch as I dont touch them when I rip them. So single file sizes can vary from 25 to 40gig.....lol. But picture quality is outstanding.

Shagga

• The Following User Says Thank You to shagga66 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Odin Blu-ray DVD Ripper Platinum is a professional blu ray ripper software.Not only enable you rip blu-ray videos (M2TS format) to High-Definition formats (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Apple TV h.264 1080P, HD WMV, MPEG-2/MPEG-4 TS HD Video) but also convert to popular format videos such as AVI, MPEG, WMV, DivX, MP4, H.264/AVC, MOV, XviD, 3GP,RM and FLV.And you can play almost any video file on most multimedia players including iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Xbox, Zune, and even BlackBerry mobile phones.It also can help you extract music to mp3/aac/m4a/ac3/wav/wma audio..

------------------------------------------------

LeKuSoft Blu-ray Ripper can easily rip Blu-ray/DVD movies to all popular video & audio formats, such as AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, SWF, WMA, MP3, RA, WAV, etc.

Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Thanks for all replies. Thats still a pretty big file size isnt it shagga ? Luckily HDD sizes are increasing.

I might be better sticking to recording movies from Foxtel HD for most and maybe HDD trade for a few favourite bluray titles. Foxtel HD quality is excellent and size is more about 8 gig.

Thanks

The Odin B.R DVd ripper file has a nasty virus in it, a password stealer.

"Odin Blu-ray DVD Ripper Platinum 5.3.1 in AvaxHome"

• The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac66 For This Useful Post:

fred121 (20-12-10)

Thanks

Foxtel isn't full and propper HD hence the reason the files sizes you get, but obviously still much better quality than recording higher quality programs on a standard digital box. If you ever buy and backup movies/data onto BD25 discs, i find it useless burning movies to a BR disc unless its the same sonze, or very close to 25GB....

I've been told the newest version of AnyDVD is good for ripping full BR moives, there's quite a lot of options involved with the ripping too. Has only failed me on the BR A-Team...

RoOSTA

Thanks

I'd been having trouble finding a decent bluray ripper that worked reliably. I've tried Odin, Leuksoft and many more with varying success until recently I came across Pavtube Bluray ripper - . It will rip a bluray or DVD to any format you can think of (have a look) and will work around all forms of copy protection.

You can copy/rip an entire disk or choose whatever files you want. I'm pretty sure it will do just audio as well.

I was trying to copy Toy Story 3 DVD for a friend using DVD decrypter, DVD Fab and DVD shrink with no luck. Pavtube had no problems. It has been worth every cent.

In regards to MKV (and all other) files, you can select whatever quality you want which in turn will determine the file size. When you select the disk/files, the program tells you exactly how big the resulting file will be as you change the various settings.

Hope this helps.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigal For This Useful Post:

fred121 (19-02-11)

Thanks

I've been using Anydvd to rip blurays to the HD, and Ripbot264 to convert to .mkv or .mp4. I've done a couple now and been very happy with the picture quality. I used this guide to get me started , just ignore the playstation 3 stuff. I found the guide here has lots of info and guides etc.

Thanks

Pavtube is good kit win and mac versions. Buy it

Thanks

Thanks for opening this topic, it was really helpful for me, I really wanted to know how to do that
    Read rules

Thanks

DVDfab is all you need.

Thanks

Default TSmuxer

Hey mate bit of a thread dig.. Wasnt sure how you went so heres my method of ripping lossless copies, i use TSmuxerGUI free open source program Just put your Bluray files and it will show you all the streams... Just remove all the audio except for the language you need and remove the 720p stream. Save to M2TS. Any Bluray player or PS3 will play i have also read VU+ duo will play fine aswell. Most of my blurays are under 10g With DTS and 1080p

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuballs For This Useful Post:

best4less (18-06-11),Daf (12-07-11)

Thanks

For a limited time, this available for free:

Offer expires 3pm Saturday (WST)

• The Following User Says Thank You to bigal For This Useful Post:

best4less (18-06-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingBlanks View Post
    DVDfab is all you need.
    I tried DVDfab but it doesnt recogonize the the disks as burnable,tried bd50 & bd25 disks,nero checks the disks as fine.Hugh