Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Learjet's dodgy 12V solar installation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Now look what you've done. You made me look at the pictures again and drool all over the carpet.

I don't suppose kidneys fetch enough these days?

Thanks

i got a 240v mower with a bit of grunt as a swappe so i try to use it on shoulder times(cooler) as im hooked up to the grid, cover the house? now you got me thinking as i already run a ol cb and a uhf of a batt hooked up to a regulator to a old panel, i have a 1.1kw/h to the grid and it helps bulk, so the more the merrier, good homebrew i have to watch that cord though
    Last edited by anyone; 23-03-11 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks

As I mentioned in general chat, it's been raining for 5 days straight now in Mackay. Light is dim even in the middle of the day, cars are driving around with their lights on etc.

Solar panels are not making much power. I'm down to about 1/10th of normal output for this time of year. Can run lights but not much else. I'm going into battery debt now, as in I can't fully charge from previous day's use. But that's okay because I have enough battery capacity to keep going for weeks still. That, and I'm still connected to the mains. But this is an experiment so I'm not going to cheat by recharging from the mains, rather by power management, dimming the lights, having only one device on at a time etc until the Sun comes out again. If I had to run a fridge I'd be screwed.

I imagine most stand alone solar installs would fail during this weather without generator backup.

Thanks

I haz a new addition to the family. I nice cheap Chinese 120 watt solar panel. My biggest yet. It makes me look small. Testing at 10 am in winter Sun, it puts out just under spec. Under optimal conditions it could very well be at spec. Not bad considering if I bought something locally for the same price, I could have only bought a 40 watt! So I'm very happy.

Should be fun interesting getting it on the roof. I might need a bigger flower pot.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

vampyre (17-02-12)

Thanks

Question! In a multi panel setup where the panels are in parallel with some of the panels in Sun and others shade, which way should the diode go? The default is across the terminals, like this.

But when shaded I get backfeed from the Sunlit panel to the shaded panel. In a parallel multi panel setup, would it be better to have each panel's diode in series rather than across the terminals?

Halp!
    Last edited by Learjet; 28-07-11 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

That looks a bit strange. Like a protection diode rather than anything for paralleling panels.

I'd leave that diode in place and just add another form the output of each panel.
    If one drops, then the diode on that panel goes reverse bias.

If then the lit panel loads down, when the voltage loads down below the voltage of the shaded panel, the diode will then become forward bias and contribute current to the circuit.

The disadvantage is the voltage drop across the diodes. It's power lost to heat.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Thanks Trash, I shall experiment.

Thanks

Bought another panel. Up to 500 watts now. Had to upgrade the controller to a 30 amp model.

The old controller is now being used in a "solar sub station" in the dining room.

This smaller station is independent of the main with it's own battery and 60 watts of solar panels. It charges a 75ah AGM battery and powers kitchen and dining room lights, small fridge or whatever else I want to plug into it.

I've made it overly complicated by having separate amp meters for charge and load, plus volt meter panels. Plus it helps make the house look more scary than what it already is.

I have yet another solar substation in the living room.

This one powers living room lights, front door lights and charges all my ex UPS gel cell batteries that were intercepted before going to the recycle centre. It is also fully independent. The controller is a 10 amp model and has 3V/6V/9V multiple voltage outputs as well as switching for three 12V outputs at max 3 amp each. It also boasts an oversize amp meter and separate voltage meter, although they aren't really needed.

These two substations help as I don't have to run expensive thick cable all through the house to avoid voltage drop from the main solar setup.

I also now have solar LED lights for the toilet and bathroom. The toilet also has three fans (ex PC power supply) to suck not so fragrant air out the window and a 12V car fan for cooling in summer.

These powerstrip boards are cheaper than what I can make them for, are all fused and even have my favourite 4mm bullet connectors.

Next I'm tempted to explore wind generators, even though about the only time we get wind here is in a cyclone. Oh well, it keeps me occupied.
    Last edited by Learjet; 09-09-11 at 04:31 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Mysterex (09-09-11)

Thanks

Following on from a demonstration on Engineering Connections on Saturday you could always use the solar panels to crack water into hydrogen and oxygen. They used a car battery.

Collect the hydrogen, compress it and use it in your converted (to hydrogen) car.

Banned
    Thanks

Solar Powered golf cart, we should all be driving these to do the shopping !

Seeing though it gets windy at times, have you considered adding a small wind turbine to your set up?

Thanks

I would REALLY like an electric car. But I don't think I'm up for that yet.

I am thinking about a wind turbine, but... where I live is sheltered by trees. To get into a clear airstream I'd have to go up 100 feet, unless the wind is a northerly. I don't think it would work out that well, especially after what I've read about wind turbines. Solar is so much simpler, has no moving parts and simply works. However, as an experiment I might buy or build something, just to play with. It might work as another small setup for lights in the shed. Wait, I don't have a shed. Garden lights then.

Thanks

Have a look at the following for ideas perhaps

and another site

Last edited by Guiseppe; 13-09-11 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added second URL

Thanks

If there were the resources to do the R & D then my post 49# above may have become this:

Given this was on Sept 8 no prices, availability, etc. appear to be available.

Thanks

Looks like an innovative compact system.

Otherwise known as VK4XA MaXiLeeCH's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a thought:
    If you are after cheap, heavy duty wire for wiring battery banks etc, do what I did.
    I headed off to my local steel / aluminium / welding gear supplier and bought a few metres of arc / mig welder cable.
    It cost me bugger all (less than $4.00 a metre) and its rated for 250+ Amps!
    Sure, its not colour coded but a coupla seconds with a pressure pack can is all you need to fix that.

Hope this helps,

MaX
    MaXiLeeCH
    Lord of his ring, keeper of his faith, master of no-one!

Thanks

quite impressive, nice pics
    8. Signatures or user profiles containing advertising for any web sites will be removed , as will your account if you persist in doing it. This does not apply to Premium Members.

Thanks

Thanks Maxi and Hal. Yeah I keep having to upgrade the wiring as I get more panels or keep adding more appliances.

Now that summer is here in the tropics I wish someone would make a cheap 12 volt air conditioner that runs on less power than the juice sucker I have now.

Thanks

Well I saved up for my 12 volt Engel fridge and took it home today. Special thanks to Leroy and Maxi for info on the Engels. The Engel is fully EMC compliant and produces no radio noise at all, unlike my RFI noisy little Waeco.

The Engel is 40 litre capacity and is more than enough fridge for a Hermit like me.

The Waeco is presently employed as a freezer which I plan on replacing with a second Engel when funds permit.

Tonight I switch off the 240 volt upright fridge. It has served me well over the years, albeit at about $200 a year running costs. From now on, fridge power is free.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Ice on toast for tea tonight?...lol..well done...ur getting there hey.

Thanks

I couldn't help myself, I raided Fort Knox and bought another Engel. This one the MT-35FP model to run as a freezer. Plenty of room for me.

Unfortunately one of the 75ah batteries in the main battery bank died. This leaves me with 3 x 75ah now. I load tested the remaining 3, they seem okay but being 6 years old already, these things seem to just drop dead fairly suddenly. I may actually have to buy some batteries in the near future.
    Last edited by Learjet; 07-12-11 at 03:15 PM.

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast