Thread: external aerial for usb internet dongle?

Thanks

Default external aerial for usb internet dongle?

i currently live in an area where adsl is unnavailable so my only option has been an optus wireless (read 3g dongle) usb stick. reception is "variable" to put it nicely.

there is a small socket for an external aerial but i'm unsure of the properties required for the actual aerial.

i understand i'll need coax cable but for the aerial itself will i need inductors? what length am i looking at?

and yes, did some searching but came up blank.

thank you in advance, b.k. :8ball:

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i have 1 of these
    seems to work ok

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickc For This Useful Post:

betty.k (10-03-11),kcsoft (22-02-11)

Thanks

nice one.

i was hoping to knock one up with "common items found around the house" but for $19 why the hell not!

thanks bloke.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

These people have a huge range of antennas, connectors, cables, etc.

Thanks

hate those crc9 connectors... broke 2 already. maybe i'm too rough?
    Isuzu MU

Thanks

just a follow-up, i took mickc's advice and bought one of those aerials.

initially there was no improvement. then i pointed the aerial in another direction and bam!! more reception.

i suspect that the availability of networks (gprs, wcdma, hspa, etc) is dependent on the network provider but since the aerial adjustment i'm getting great speeds. am i wrong?

Thanks

Default aeriel

Quote Originally Posted by betty.k View Post
    i currently live in an area where adsl is unnavailable so my only option has been an optus wireless (read 3g dongle) usb stick. reception is "variable" to put it nicely.

there is a small socket for an external aerial but i'm unsure of the properties required for the actual aerial.

i understand i'll need coax cable but for the aerial itself will i need inductors? what length am i looking at?

and yes, did some searching but came up blank.

thank you in advance, b.k. :8ball:
    where can i get 1 in crete or some online shop who ships to crete (creece)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mparkes View Post
    where can i get 1 in crete or some online shop who ships to crete (creece)
    Have you tried ebay and Googling?

Thanks

tried both came up blank

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I dont know about overseas USB dongles but the 2 major Carriers we have here both use different connections, Telstra favours one and Optus another.
    There is also a type of antenna that appears to use 'Induction' to overcome no antenna connection problems.
    I added a small 'Rubber Ducky' to a Telstra Turbo and it added 2 bars to whatever signal I had without the antenna no matter where I tried in the house.
    I then bought an external Log Periodical type and it too showed a solid increase in the previous signal going up between a 1/3 and a half if the scale is to be believed.
    I have seen notices regarding non shipment to certain Countries but I didnt think Crete (Greek Islands?) had any problems.
    You could try Amazon as they are not just book sellers.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-11-12 at 01:23 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    There is also a type ofantenna that appears to use 'Induction' to overcome no antenna connection problems.
    I added a small 'Rubber Ducky' to a Telstra Turbo and it added 2 bars to whatever signal I had without the antenna no matter where I tried in the house.
    Could you please post a link to that antenna?
    I can only find a rather expensive adaptor on Ebay but not an 'induction' antenna.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-11-12 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Trying to use Bold Type but does not work any more
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry but I dont know how to post a link to the ebay sites so I have shown the item numbers which are as follows,
    this one is in the wifi antenna section, 190502343946, cost is $3.99 + $4.99 post, from China.
    the other is local from Brisbane, 261125664510. Cost is $39.00 + $7.90 postage.
    The info supplied with the first one will need CAREFUL reading, the 2nd one is much easier.
    BOLD still works for me.
    Click on the 'B' and type between the 'brackets'
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-11-12 at 05:03 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (19-11-12)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Sorry but I dont know how to post a link to the ebay sites so I have shown the item numbers which are as follows,
    this one is in the wifi antenna section, 190502343946, cost is $3.99 + $4.99 post, from China.
    the other is local from Brisbane, 261125664510. Cost is $39.00 + $7.90 postage.
    The info supplied with the first one will need CAREFUL reading, the 2nd one is much easier.
    BOLD still works for me.
    Click on the 'B' and type between the 'brackets'
    Thanks gordon_s1942

I ordered the first one just for fun because it's only 9 bucks even though it is only for GSM.
    If the signal is weak it falls back to GSM anyhow. Better a solid 2G signal than nothing.

The other one is the adaptor I mentioned. Still need to order an antenna as well.

The reason why I am very sceptical is that this induction method might improve your reception (bars on the display) but for it to work properly the signal must go both ways.
    From a technical standpoint I can not see how 1-2W of transmitting power can be so loosely matched to the antenna.

Bold works again and there are no brackets in my editor setting. I usually mark the text and click B when (if) I proof read.

Found the problem: Bold does not show up in the quotes on the forum but it does in the editor.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-11-12 at 05:10 PM. Reason: found the problem with bold
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

The antenna doesnt know GSM,CDMA,3or 4G, its designed to work on the frequency, not the mode.
    Obviously an antenna correctly designed for a specific frequency works better than one thats just wide band but unless you right at the outer limits of the signal, most work.
    2G isnt good for Internet services from what I understand as it isnt capable of carrying (bandwidth) the data needed for streaming video etc.

Thanks

If you want 9dB gain you want to be fairly spot on the frequency

GSM in Australia 900MHz and 1800MHz
    3G in Australia 850MHz (Telstra) 2100MHz (others).

Telstra might just work.
    I am with Optus though, which also has bad rural coverage.