Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty alternator "slows down CD player"

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Some Nippendenso and probably others have diode plates where the diode is fixed to one plate and covered with selastic and a lead from the diode feed up at 90 degrees from that and is welded to a plate above. There is no play between the two plates. The lead perhaps due to thermal expansion of the plate assembly or the diode fractures from the top of the diode. This can cause a higher level of ripple in the alternators output. That might upset your CD player. It also reduces the output of the alternator.

My alternator sits about 100 mm from the exhaust side of a turbo. It has cold air ducting to keep it cool but prior to putting in an updated diode plate I popped a few of them. The symptoms where a noise in the radio and the head lights dimming a little more than normal when the engine revs drop. Other than that the alternator still charged the battery.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kcsoft View Post
    sorry godz i meant ur correct about the mech stuff.

all in all i feel i've stuffed about with enough cd players and such for it to be my (humble) opinion that a 'slowdown' of the music seems to be pretty much bs.

fernbay, wouldn't this produce a sort of white noise or skipping effect??? not a slowdown of music????????
    or would it not read the disc at all as the logic is disrupted wouldn't the ic's controlling the disc reading gear (laser focus, etc) also be affected???

anyone have some cheap cd players they'd care to destroy in the name of experimentation???

i'd really like someone to prove that a slowdown of music playback caused by a power related event is possible on a cd player, that would be really cool!
    Your not hearing me.
    The effects would be unpredictable.
    It depends on how much engineering time was spent.
    It depends on how many dollars were saved by engineering short cuts
    And I said due do digital data corruption. Not so much driving it at 9v or 15v, but rather insane hi frequency ripple.

So logic levels, and feedback loops go haywire

so 001110011100111001110011100111001110011100111 becomes 011110011000111001110011110111001111110011001 for example.

because instead of 0 = 0v or 1 = 5v, the CPU starts seeing 3.2V and things get confused.

The results would be unpredictable, with different devices, built by different manufactures, using different chip-sets with different designs and different tolerances

Logic voltage levels
    Hobbyist frequency counter circuit built almost entirely of TTL logic chips.
    Main article: logic level

The two states of a wire are usually represented by some measurement of an electrical property: Voltage is the most common, but current is used in some logic families. A threshold is designed for each logic family. When below that threshold, the wire is "low," when above "high." Digital circuits establish a "no man's area" or "exclusion zone" that is wider than the tolerances of the components. The circuits avoid that area, in order to avoid indeterminate results.

It is usual to allow some tolerance in the voltage levels used; for example, 0 to 2 volts might represent logic 0, and 3 to 5 volts logic 1. A voltage of 2 to 3 volts would be invalid, and occur only in a fault condition or during a logic level transition. However, few logic circuits can detect such a condition and most devices will interpret the signal simply as high or low in an undefined or device-specific manner. Some logic devices incorporate schmitt trigger inputs whose behaviour is much better defined in the threshold region, and have increased resilience to small variations in the input voltage.

The levels represent the binary integers or logic levels of 0 and 1. In active-high logic, "low" represents binary 0 and "high" represents binary 1. Active-low logic uses the reverse representation.

Examples of binary logic levels:
    Technology | L voltage | H voltage | Notes
    CMOS 0 V to VCC/2 VCC/2 to VCC VCC = supply voltage
    TTL 0 V to 0.8 V 2 V to VCC VCC is 4.75 V to 5.25 V
    ECL -1.175 V to -VEE 0.75 V to 0 V VEE is about -5.2 V. VCC=Ground
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (04-03-11),mickstv (04-03-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

I wouldn't be suprised If a micro was receiving this much garbage information will just lock up and or fail to operate.

EDIT: I'm designing a Pulse Induction metal detector using a DSP microprocessor. I failed to put big enough filter capacitors on the regulators for the Micro and the back EMF from the collapsing coil pulse was causing the Micro to lockup.

Mickstv

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12