Thread: MYSWITCH updates.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default MYSWITCH updates.

Digital TV Switchover Australia - mySwitch

In another post MTV posted the above link to help a member get his VAST registered so out of curiosty I checked the site so I put in my address and got one hell of a suprise as it now says my area has gone from a 'No Way, Never Ever coverage- Go VAST' to that the 'Broadcasters are Considering the installation of a Tower to cover my general Locale'.
    Today the maps are loading very slowly (Internet or Computer?) and so far the areas I have tried to see, this 'Proposed Tower' will cover them.
    I would be curious to know what it would cost for the construction of a Digital translator not inluding the site,power and presuming it is an 'OFF Air' receive signal from another operating translator.
    I know this area very well and the tower/pole wouldnt need to exceed 15 metres (45 feet) to cover a nice area as it is a nice high ridge line,actually 1000m elevation of the Great Dividing Range.
    I know that the TV signal from a translator barely 12 kms away booms in there along this ridge line but cant reach us as a mountain blocks it out.
    I have looked at it for years and thought of it just along these lines and even made approaches for it but to no avail, untill now.

So how much for the receiver(s), Transmitter(s) Antenna(s) Cable if you like but no enclosure or connecting/supplying electricity to the location and no site costs, just the main equipment.
    Any ball park figures ???

Again I am totaly surprised by this proposal and thats all it is but I would suggest to all to go and recheck myswitch if you havent done so in recent weeks.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-03-11 at 12:39 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    So how much for the receiver(s), Transmitter(s) Antenna(s) Cable if you like but no enclosure or connecting/supplying electricity to the location and no site costs, just the main equipment.
    Any ball park figures ???

Again I am totaly surprised by this proposal and thats all it is but I would suggest to all to go and recheck myswitch if you havent done so in recent weeks.
    Typical cost for a low-powered digital TX is around $15K per channel (mux) but that can be increased considerably depending on how the signals get to the TX site. eg: off-air relay, microwave link, satellite, etc.

Even just a concrete pole costs around $10K, so with the infrastructure, typical cost is around $100K per network.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (21-03-11),OSIRUS (20-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I know the proposed coverage well after 47 years and I am trying to understand the logic of this 'Proposal' based on the surrounding population.
    Being only a 160 kms(100 miles) west of Sydney we are starting to feel the 'Sydney Basin Buldge', and prices have obviously escalted over the years for normal land and of course some properties are being split up for 5/10 acre 'Hobby' farms as general farming has no profit today.
    I would love to know the criteria used by 'The Broadcasters' to determine whether or not to install such a translator.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!