Thread: Would you put your home address into the GPS?

Thanks

Default Would you put your home address into the GPS?

Would you put your home address into the GPS?

I’ve taken my out just in case some low life knocks it off and then he or she has your home address

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

It might be cheaper to replace the GPS (be it lost or be stolen) than to have the house burgaled !!!
    I gather you need to wipe the memory occasionaly as some store 'Frequent' routes which perhaps could be used to find its 'Home'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

They would also have our neighbours addresses.
    I'm not sure I would care.
    Yes I have had a nuvi stolen while on holday in AUS.
    Did it have my home adddress - I can't remember???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by typan View Post
    Would you put your home address into the GPS?

I’ve taken my out just in case some low life knocks it off and then he or she has your home address
    What are they going to do with your home address ? There is millions of them in the phone book that are just as random as yours.

Thanks

nope if i need a gps to find my own home then im fked
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

I would welcome the lowlife to stop by my house and try to steal something else But seriously what is the big deal with your address being in there as they prob just going to sell it for drugs or whatever at the local pub or cash converters.
    “I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night.”

Thanks

if someone obtains your gps i believe the likelihood of them continuing to your address is high due to they know your not at home. If you have your "Navigate Home" address set up to your actual address you are stupid.

I set mine to the local COP shop which is around the corner from home, we all know most of us know how to get home from there. HAHA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    if someone obtains your gps i believe the likelihood of them continuing to your address is high due to they know your not at home.
    I think you give these little opportunistic piss ants too much cred. I mean they probably dont even have a car to get there. But if they somehow did get your car keys then decided to fleece your house they still have to hope nobody else is home. But yes I think maybe putting in the local cop station is best atleast they will get a bit of a shock when they get ther lol.
    “I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night.”

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    if someone obtains your gps i believe the likelihood of them continuing to your address is high due to they know your not at home.
    What sort of assumption is that ? A thief could ring random numbers out of the phone book for the same effect based on that thinking.

If you have your "Navigate Home" address set up to your actual address you are stupid.
    Why ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If you think the address being the local cop shop would bother most then think again.
    One small town had a holding compound for motor vehicles and someone stole the engine out of one.
    2 weeks after much publicity when the local Copshop opened in a new location, some clod decided to climb the over the security fence.
    They had held an 'Open Day' and made it clear then and in the local paper the security fence was under Video surveilance which aided when rescuing the local dimwit who got tangled up in it........................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It probably can't hurt to be a little wary of putting your exact address in. I just use the nearest intersection as my home address, I figure even I won't get lost from there. (-:

Cheers, Ian
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I hope the thief doesn't sue you for getting lost

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

jimbo123 (14-01-12)

Thanks

Seriously, people who steal a GPS out of a car are only seeing the dollar value. 99% of all broken into cars, the thief is looking for cash or something to sell easily for cash. I have had my whole car stolen. When we found the car the wheels were gone and the stereo was gone. House keys on the front seat were thrown onto the floor, backpack empted looking for money or like I said something to sell.

They are not organised enough to find your address and then go to your house. That acually takes brain cells to work out. Most of these thievs not not have a brain cell between them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I can't remember what show it was Crime TV or something

And a group would do exactly that, find a High End Motor and grab the GPS and go rob there house while the Rich Punters were still eating Dinner at a Flash Restaurant

Blah Blah

They even recommend that you don't even leave your insurance details in the car
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    I can't remember what show it was Crime TV or something

And a group would do exactly that, find a High End Motor and grab the GPS and go rob there house while the Rich Punters were still eating Dinner at a Flash Restaurant

Blah Blah

They even recommend that you don't even leave your insurance details in the car
    I heard a similar story where a family went to the football and someone broke into their car.They got their GPS and remote controller for their garage,which gave them full access to their house while they were watching the football.
    I'm not sure if this really did happen or if it was made up as a warning as to how easily this could happen.The GPS on it's own is pretty useless,but combined with a remote or house keys,which most people leave in their cars,makes for a very easy break in.

Thanks

Maybe the solution could be as easy as the manufacturers building into the firmware the need to enter a pin when navigating "Home"?

Like I need another PIN to remember though :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post
    I heard a similar story where a family went to the football and someone broke into their car.They got their GPS and remote controller for their garage,which gave them full access to their house while they were watching the football.
    I'm not sure if this really did happen or if it was made up as a warning as to how easily this could happen.The GPS on it's own is pretty useless,but combined with a remote or house keys,which most people leave in their cars,makes for a very easy break in.

Should answer your question

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Tiny (05-02-12)

Thanks

On the flip-side,what if someone honest (they are out there) found your lost satnav and tried to return it to the home address?
    I suppose the police station address sounds a better option than some random address in your town in this case.