Thread: Newbie - DM600C - EPG, Closed Caption and Connecting to Dreambox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Newbie - DM600C - EPG, Closed Caption and Connecting to Dreambox

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the dreambox and the forum and have been finding it a bit difficult to follow topics and find the information that I am after. There appears to be alot of assumed knowledge here and terminology that I am not familar with. I am having a tough time understanding it all.

I have a DM600C. Any help and/or links for the following items would be appreciated:
    - How to enable closed captions/subtitles?
    - How to get the EPG to display more than now and next, ie can I get 7 days programming up? I've seen CrossEPG being recommended for use in Australia. I hoping to view more than now and next and also timer record.
    - How do I connect the dreambox to my computer in order to transfer plugins and edit files? I've seen in some forums people ftping to the dreambox and then editing a file on the dreambox in order to enable the plugin.

I have noticed that on the dreambox itself there is a download option via the remote/menus (opposed to connecting to computer and ftp), I selected some of these items and it appears from status' on the screen that they were successfully downloaded. Eg, I downloaded a Closed Caption plugin. If they have been downloaded, how to I enable and configure these plugins? Is it something I can do from the dreambox remote or do I need to connect to the dreambox via my computer? Currently it looks like I have downloaded them but have no idea to activate them. I can't see anything in the menus regarding plugins etc.

Thanks for your time and patience with a newbie. Its a bit overwhelming at the moment and I'm a little lost and not sure where to start.

Cheers

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe_steel View Post

- How to get the EPG to display more than now and next, i.....

Cheers
    I dont think CrossEPG will work on an E1 box.

WeekEPG is probably the easiest to use for an Enigma1 box that extracts the epg data from the C1 data stream (not the internet) although Im not sure it works with Pli images and the EPG works as a separate app and is not integrated into the menu. Weekepg-au-3.2b is the version you need to install.

I noticed that there is a new version 3.3b... hmmm

Thanks

or for epg you could possibly use oztivo_au plugin as long as you
    - have internet connectivity
    - you remap channels for cable mappings
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I use flash fxp to edit files on the dreambox, I'm no expert but found it pretty easy after a few minutes of mucking around. Just make sure that your computer and dreambox are showing up as attached devices through your router and you are away

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll try playing around with it and let you know how I go.

Any thoughts on my question about how do I activate a plugin that I have downloaded via the dreambox menu options? Can I do that without connecting via telnet etc, ie can I use the Dreambox remote to activate it. I saw a couple of closed caption options via this method and wanted to give them a try.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joe_steel View Post
    Any thoughts on my question about how do I activate a plugin that I have downloaded via the dreambox menu options? Can I do that without connecting via telnet etc, ie can I use the Dreambox remote to activate it. I saw a couple of closed caption options via this method and wanted to give them a try.
    If your plugin downloaded and installed correctly, it should be located in the Plugins menu. While watching a channel, press Yellow button on your remote, and you can see all the plugins listed there.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Cheers, will give that a try tonight!

Thanks

Thanks, i can see the plugin now. I didnt know that you had to assign the yellow or blue button to a customised feature such as plugin. I am playing with these now.

I see the terminology 'image' mentioned a lot on the forums. Could I get a simple definition of this?

Thanks again, slowly getting there!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

An image to a Dreambox is like Windows to a computer. It's like the "operating system" for the Dreambox. There's shitloads out there to choose from, but ultimately they all do the same thing. Some are harder to setup and configure than others. The best, most user friendly are definitely PLi or OpenPLi images.
    Last edited by Smacca; 19-05-11 at 12:05 AM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

nfnovice (19-05-11)

Thanks

Thanks for that. Nice explanation.

Got the plugin functionality now due to the button mapping and was successfully able to enable subtitle/closed captions (I'll need to check if it was all in sync).

Next step is the EPG with more than now and next. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again for the help.