Thread: Help setting up new satellite receiver

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Help setting up new satellite receiver

My parents used to have a Strong SRT 4620, which was set up by a Satellite TV installer. They were able to receive channels from Asia (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc). They have a motorised dish controlled by a Diseqc 1.2 controller/positioner.

Recently, their VCR broke down. So, I decided to get them an OpenBox S9 satellite receiver/pvr to allow them to record stuff from satellite channels. As an initial test, I enabled ChinaSat 6B and AsiaSat 3S from the initial list of Satellites that came with the box. I assumed they have already been set up correctly. Anyway, I initiated a single satellite scan on ChinaSat 6B and AsiaSat. When the scan finished, the only channels it found were Indian channels. I would have thought that the receiver would pick up some Chinese channels, especially on ChinaSat 6B?

Also, I've noticed that in the Satellite Setup menu, you can select the position (1 to 63 I think). How do I know what position to set it to? Changing from one position to another would result in the antenna being moved, but i have no idea what positions are required for each Satellite. I know there is a wealth of information on Satellites at the lyngsat website, but as a newbie, it seems a bit overwhelming. Can somebody point me to a guide that may explain how I can set up and add new Satellites. I don't even know what LNB to enter for each new Satellite.

I know there's a lot of information out there, but it's hard to know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by kazzer; 29-05-11 at 03:37 PM.

2. Look Here ->