Thread: Garbled sound on startup.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Garbled sound on startup.

I have noticed of late the Tevion (Aldi) TV sound is almost inaudible but gradualy increases but is very garbled.
    As the volume increases over 60 to 90 seconds so does the clarity of the audio .
    This effect occurs whether the TV starts on the tuner (digital), HDMI or AV inputs.
    I just turned the TV off for a few moments and then ON again and the audio is clear.
    Its been fairly cold here and the room where the TV is mounted about a metre above the floor is not directly heated so I was wondering is the TV 'feeling' the cold as I know I bloody am.
    I have safely stored the paperwork for the TV away (that SAFE place?) and I cant remember exactly how old it is but I think its approaching 2 years old.
    I have only noticed this in the last few days but before I go racing around like Chicken Little, I thought I'd ask if anyone has had similar problems.
    Obviously if it is temperature related, the TV is not at fault as years ago I had a VCR refuse to work because where it was got cold and it initiated the DEW warning and I had to move it to a warmer location.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Obviously if it is temperature related, the TV is not at fault as years ago I had a VCR refuse to work because where it was got cold and it initiated the DEW warning and I had to move it to a warmer location.

It may well be that it has a temp related fault, and if that is the case then yes the TV is at fault. It's got nothing to do with how hot or cold the ambient temperature. Most likely cause will be faulty electrolytic capacitors.

Find your papers and get it fixed if it's still under warranty.

Mick
    Last edited by mickstv; 18-06-11 at 04:29 PM. Reason: modified

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-06-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I've seen numerous faults with Tevion TV's, mostly caused by poor solder joints, so this is quite possibly the case with yours as it changes with time/temp.

They are very-poorly made and have a high failure rate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-06-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Certainly not news I wanted to hear but if its under warranty still, then they can fix it.
    Thanks mickstv and MTV
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Certainly not news I wanted to hear but if its under warranty still, then they can fix it.
    Thanks mickstv and MTV
    If you even get the option of a refund... take it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Neither will be an option (Repair or Refund) as I found the 'Safe place' I had put the warranty card and WOW !!, December 2008 so its well out of warranty now.
    its a 55cm (22 inch) model ALCD2257.
    I certainly dont intend to attempt any repairs myself but with a problem like this, is it and would it be worth it provided there is anyone who does?
    I guess I could always leave it running if turning it on and off accelerates its eventual demise.
    According to the book it runs about 55watts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Most modern cheap LCD's have one mainboard and a powersupply. I would be thinking the fault will be on the mainboard/tunerboard. If you have a 1800 number on you owners manual, give it a ring on monday and get an idea of cost.

As LCD's are getting so cheap it may not be worth repairing, Most repair centres are going to hit you with labour approx $75-150 + parts,

Mick
    Last edited by mickstv; 18-06-11 at 09:14 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-06-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Whilst i can't recommend you try this:

But if it was me, i'd take the back off, wear a pair of safety goggles and some gloves.
    Grab yourself a wooden stick (chop stick maybe), and with the set on, wait for it to warm etc and start prodding with slight pressure etc.

When you find the area that effects the sound, then you at least know where the fault lies and you might even be able to see the fault and attempt a re-solder.

Premium Member

Thanks

GT250 has greater faith in my repair abilities than I do BUT, I left the TV on all night because when I turned it on yesterday morning, there was no sound and it took many minutes for it to gradualy increase, garbled tho it was untill maybe 10 minutes from starting before it was basicaly clear and normal.
    This morning when I checked the TV the sound was semi garbled, understandable but annoying so I decided to connect the lead from an audio amp from the computer to the Headphone socket and IT WORKS !!!
    Sound is normal so I found a set of small powered Computer speakers, connected them and they sound good to me.
    Question, do the headphones run off the same amp as the speakers ( I always thought they did) and if so, could it be the speakers be at fault perhaps rather than anything else ??
    Odd if both speakers are crook at almost the same time isnt it?
    If thats all it is and these speaker work, I have saved either repairing or replacing the TV.