Thread: Sharing Foxtel with VAST

Thanks

Default Sharing Foxtel with VAST

Hi,

I have a VIDEOSAT VAST system installed in my retirement home near Meimbula. Can I run a coax splitter and use it to also feed my foxtel receiver or do I need to also install the Foxtel antenna and LNB?

regards,

wallagoot

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wallagoot View Post
    Hi,

I have a VIDEOSAT VAST system installed in my retirement home near Meimbula. Can I run a coax splitter and use it to also feed my foxtel receiver or do I need to also install the Foxtel antenna and LNB?

regards,

wallagoot
    It depends on what LNB and cabling have been installed and which Foxtel decoder you intend to use.

Most Foxtel channels use horizontal transponders and VAST uses vertical transponders.

A splitter can only operate on one voltage at a time, so you can either have vertical or horizontal selection of the LNB polarity, so unless you want to be switching cables each time you change from VAST to Foxtel, you need a dual output LNB with a cable to each decoder, or if you have Foxtel iQ/iQHD, you will also need a multiswitch with two cables to the iQ box and a separate cable to the VAST decoder.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (29-06-11)

Thanks

MTV - many thanks.

From your advice my options appear to be to:
    1. install the Foxtel antenna and receiver (basic system) independent to VAST,
    2. fit a dual ouptput LNB and run two cables - one for each receiver, or
    3. fit the Foxtel LNB in a dual setup on the VAST dish - is this possible -and run cables to each receiver.

Fitting the dual output LNB is probably the simplest? Can you recommend a supplier?

regards,

wallagoot

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Foxtel like Austar wont like you doing anything with their dish/lnb so OFFICIALY you would be better installing a seperate dish/lnb/cable for the VAST stb.
    I am curious what this VIDEOSAT VAST system is as you cant run VAST/Aurora on the same single type LNB/cable if you have Foxtel/Austar.
    I dont know if your still able to shinny up ladders (retirement home?) or experienced to either do a full dish install or just replace the LNB as its a little bit involved to begin with.
    Maybe you could enquire localy about getting it done for you.
    Also, there is no Foxtel/Austar/Vast specific dish or LNB, the same one does all as long as the dish can see C1/D3 and the LNB is the correct type.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink VAST and Foxtel.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Foxtel like Austar wont like you doing anything with their dish/lnb so OFFICIALY you would be better installing a seperate dish/lnb/cable for the VAST stb.
    I am curious what this VIDEOSAT VAST system is as you cant run VAST/Aurora on the same single type LNB/cable if you have Foxtel/Austar.
    I dont know if your still able to shinny up ladders (retirement home?) or experienced to either do a full dish install or just replace the LNB as its a little bit involved to begin with.
    Maybe you could enquire localy about getting it done for you.
    Also, there is no Foxtel/Austar/Vast specific dish or LNB, the same one does all as long as the dish can see C1/D3 and the LNB is the correct type.
    G'Day Gordon,
    The decoder in the ad is a UEC DSD4121_VAST without question.

I too am curious as to exactly what you mean by the above statement?

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

All,

Many thanks for the help so far.
    To clarify I can shimmy up and down ladders and installed the VAST system last January. It works fine.
    I currently have foxtel (basic box) in my current home in ACT.
    Plan is to officially transfer the foxtel to the retirement house and looking at how to feed both VAST and Foxtel from the VAST dish as I don't particularly want to install another dish.
    From your advice and other research, installing a Sharp Twin Output 10.700GHz KU Band LNB and running another coax to the Foxtel box appears to be the go. if yes then:
    Is the polarity of the outputs marked on the LNB?
    and is there a different skew angle? or do I set the dual LNB to the same angel as the current single LNB?

Many thanks for the help,

Wallagoot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Retirement to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by wallagoot View Post
    All,

Many thanks for the help so far.
    To clarify I can shimmy up and down ladders and installed the VAST system last January. It works fine.
    I currently have foxtel (basic box) in my current home in ACT.
    Plan is to officially transfer the foxtel to the retirement house and looking at how to feed both VAST and Foxtel from the VAST dish as I don't particularly want to install another dish.
    From your advice and other research, installing a Sharp Twin Output 10.700GHz KU Band LNB and running another coax to the Foxtel box appears to be the go. if yes then:
    Is the polarity of the outputs marked on the LNB?
    and is there a different skew angle? or do I set the dual LNB to the same angel as the current single LNB?

Many thanks for the help,

Wallagoot
    G'Day Cobber,
    If the Foxtel box is single tuner, that would be correct.
    If it's dual tuner, then you would need a Multiswitch fed by the Twin 10700 LNB. Each output of the LNB is independently switched by the boxes, or if using the Multiswitch, by it.
    The Skew angle should be the same, however there is sometimes a difference with LNBs. It would pay to check it for peak signal. Don't forget to seal all connections with " Self Amalgamating Tape " after setup is complete. Advisable anywhere, but imperative near the coast.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (29-06-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

A dual outlet LNB is just ONE unit with 2 seperate Type F connectors and as far as I know, it doesnt matter which cable goes to which STB.
    Almost LNB's today are dual Polarity whether they be singles or multiple types of connections.
    I say 'Almost' just in case one with multiple connections is made in a single polarity but I doubt it.
    You would note the skew of the existing single LNB and put the dual in its place but you may need to turn it either way for the best performance.
    One other little problem I see is that Foxtel only services INSIDE the borders of the ACT, Sydney to Newcastle and its Austar elsewhere so check first to see if the Far South Coast is a Foxtel area as there is no current reciprical arrangement between the 2 companies to move into the others area.
    Under no circumstance would I mention to Foxtel what you plan to do (re VAST) as they wont agree with it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-06-11 at 04:44 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (29-06-11)

Thanks

Thank you all.

Will let you know the outcome.
    Thanks for the heads up wrt Foxtel vs Austar - will do some research.
    On On,

Wallagoot

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Yes, the Sharp Twin Output 10.700GHz KU Band LNB is ideal, as it's the standard LNB installed by Foxtel/Austar.

As mentioned, it's basically two independent LNB's in one enclosure and both are dual polarity, so it doesn't matter which outlet you connect to which decoder.

Where are you moving to?...... location will determine if you are entitled to receive Foxtel or Austar (even though you can receive both anywhere in Australia, they have restrictions on which company services which areas).

Foxtel is in the process of taking over Austar, but it is expected to take some time for the amalgamation to be finalised.

So all you need to do is replace your existing LNB with a dual output LNB, making sure you optimise the skew for VAST, as it's a bit more fussy with signal strength & quality than Foxtel.

Run one cable to the VAST box and the other to the Foxtel box.... and you're away.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (30-06-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

If your moving to a new location

& you want to transfer your Foxtel, or setup a new installation

a call to Foxtel & they can arrange a complete new installation for you,

sometimes free installation can be included .... but you have to check...negotiate with them

cheers
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (30-06-11)

Thanks

We are heading down to Bournda - near Merimbula - and a quick online check reveals that it is serviced by Austar. Looks like I will have to cancel my ACT Foxtel and buy an Austar system. Will talk to them re the install - as I don't want 2 dishes when one will do.
    Many thanks to all for excellent and prompt help.
    I will be a regular visitor.
    regards,
    Wallagoot
    Wallagoot of Moncks End

Thanks

Austar/Foxtel and VAST use the same satellite so you only need one dish. I suggest you get your Austar installed without telling Austar about your VAST intentions. Austar will probably only install a single output LNBF (I am sure others will comment if this is not correct). Just take off the single output LNBF and replace it with a twin output LNBF. Run the existing Austar cable to one LNBF output and then install a new coax for your VAST box and connect it to the second LNBF output. Make sure your new twin output LNBF is a 10.7GHz both the Austar and VAST boxes default to 10.7GHz LNB's (there are also 11.3 and Universal twin LNBF's on the market)

Premium Member

Thanks

As I expected, the South Coast of NSW below say Sutherland/Cronulla is Austar although years ago the Wollongong area had a mix of coverage but I thought that it went over eventualy to Austar.
    As FPQ6 says I sincerly doubt Austar will install a dual LNB BUT you could always try them out by saying you might consider going Mystar later and see what happens.
    Also Austar usualy instals for free unless your well out so it might pay you to check that out too.
    Ring 132432 and prepare for a long wait as the bloody menu runs around and around.
    Optionaly you could email them with your proposed location and see what they reply.
    To achieve what you want (Austar and VAST) you may have no choice but to have 2 seperate dish's because you already have VAST installed.
    Many in rural areas have 2, one was for Aurora and the other for PayTV.
    Also I dont know if the ACT Foxtel has the commercial channels through their system or via a seperate TV antenna but Austar doesnt except for ABC/SBS unless you have Terrestial FTA which they then connect that antenna to the STB but seeing you have VAST, I would guess Terrestial TV is either bad or non existant.
    Welcome to the Bush.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

wallagoot (21-07-11)