Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiswitch help...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick_nz View Post
    I have an Ultraplua 900HD with the latest firmware (1.90.20) installed.

I also have a 4 input - 4 output multiswitch which is connected thus:
    • Port 1 = D1 V (22k off)
    • Port 2 = D1 H (22k off)
    • Port 3 = D2 V (22k on)
    • Port 4 = IS5 H (22k on)

Which currently feeds two decoders with the other two outputs terminated with a 75ohm resistor terminator.

The problem arises that if I've been watching D1 for a while, and then switch to either IS5 or D2, it seems to take about 60 seconds for the picture to come up. Looking at the signal bar on the info panel, it would suggest the decoder is trying to work out the signal level, or waiting for it to 'settle'.

Is this usual? If not, what can I do to cure it? I'm concerned I might be causing some damage somewhere if left unchecked.

The other thing is, that I bought a dual LNB which allows simulataneous reception of both D1 V/H signals to all decoders connected to the multiswitch. This seems to work fine, however I noticed that some signals are much less in strength than when I had a single LNB on D1. I'm using a Hills 80cm dish atm.
    Would a 0.3 noise figure dual LNB improve the signal quality level over a 0.6 noise figure dual LNB? If so, by how much roughly?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Baldrick.
    The whole point that everyone is missing is that there is a difference between the simple and advanced DiSEqC protocol as used by MultiSwitches and Fundamental 22 KHz switches.

And for Christ's sake, use the correct nomenclature, "DiSEqC"

Last edited by beer4life; 03-07-11 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

I tried what you suggested Beer4life, regarding switching all ports to off, and it only works for D1, the other 2 ports have to be on to get any signal.

And, after following endless guides (including one from Freeviewshop and Jayx) implicitly to the letter, I now fear I have ####ed up the c-band in the ultraplus. I fear that because the other decoder in the bedroom continues to play out BBC (using the same multiswitch) as the ultraplus.

The ultraplus refuses now to show any sign of life either using the ill-fated multiswitch system, or via the trustly old diseqc/spitter system.

I thought maybe the newer firmware might be corrupted, so installed the original version back. I don't think it installed properly, but even then it didn't recognise C-band IS5. So opted to go back to the newer firmware, where it's been sitting at 50% 'preparing to upgrade' for the past 15 minutes!!!!

All because the ultraplus ####s out after 10 minutes when watching something that uses the 22k on function.

Now it would seem that c-band is ####ed on this decoder altogether.

I would appreciate any help that doesn't involve 'its not the ultraplus' or 'must be something you're doing wrong' without offering alternatives.

I've even tried changing the receiver outputs on the switch, to no avail.

Please help.

Thanks

Wink Decoder Setup for DiSEqC or MultiSwitch.

G'Day Cobber,
    much to your chagrin I must ask whether Both your decoders are setup similar to this. This is the correct way to do it with each Satellite on the appropriate port of the switch.
    You may find the working box is correct, but that you are trying to brute force the switching with your method on the UltraPlus.
    You do not need the 22 KHz on as the data Tone coding for port selection is generated by the DiSEqC software.

I do hope that you have the units turned off when swapping cables. If not you may have blown the Power Supply.

This particular Strong has not got the higher order software and can only do 4 input ports.
    By the way, a DiSEqC switch only has one output, whereas A MultiSwitch can have as many as you need.
    The images from "
    irdeto2engineer " are MultiSwitches, NOT simple DiSEqC switches.
    And yes, the MultiSwitch generates the 22KHz constant tone and the polarity V/H voltage.

Now I can go have another Cup o' Tea, packet of Bex, and a good lay down.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Default Update...

The problem now is that I can't upload any updates at all. Infact, the decoder wont even store any new settings I put into it.

Whenever I turn on the 900 it now asks which launguage I want to use, then whether I want to restore to a previous position (or such).

When I plug in the USB stick (or ext HDD) with either 1.08.87 or 1.09.20 on it, it recognises it's there and asks whether I want to download, using the red button on the remote.

I click on the red button, and a splash screen comes up telling me I'm 50% through 'preparing to update'. it hangs there and does nothing more until I either switch the power off at the back of the unit or pull the UBS stick out. I've had it running like that for well over 30mins.

I've even tried to do a factory reset, which asks me for my pin, then when entered, it just hangs. Actually, it freezes. I can't get it to do anything without a hard power reset. It is the right pin too.

If I could get it to work again, as it should with a diseqc arrangement (as it worked before), then I would feel much better about dealing with the MS situation later.

@Beer4life, I tried it like on your pic before this FW issue arose, and it didn't seem to work. The ultraplus has under diseqc 1.1 a provision for Tone A and Tone B, not 'commited' as with the Strong. I assume these would be the same thing?

I have a pic of the multiswitch I'm using, but I'm currently unable to upload attachments here.

Thanks again for your time.
    Last edited by baldrick_nz; 03-07-11 at 02:14 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

There is now obviously a problem with your receiver.

I am not familiar with the Ultraplus 900 HD, but from my experience with other receivers, both run-of-the-mill and the more exotic variety, it looks like a corrupted software problem.

For the time being, forget about multiswitches and concentrate on the current problem.

I suggest that you post details of the current fault in the Decoders section of the forums, where people, who do know this receiver, will be made aware and so be able to offer you the help, which you need.

Be very careful what you do from now on, as you might compound the problem.

Thanks

I have a pic of the multiswitch I'm using, but I'm currently unable to upload attachments here.

I'm not sure what switch you are using now, but if you're still using your multiswitch you will need disecq OFF and 22khz ON to access the LNB's on your input ports 3 & 4 - like I do here with my DM800

Thanks

Talking UltraPlus 900 HD User Manual. Page 40.

My apologies for being so adamant, but this unambiguously supports my contention.
    It has me beat as to why the OP did not follow the manual in the first place.

You only use the 22KHz if you are using a 22KHz tone switch box.
    It is not used for Universal either as that is generated automatically at the change over LO Frequency.
    The same Furphy, aka Scuttlebutt, regularly crops up and is why I've researched this problem.

I sincerely hope that has put the genie back in the bottle forever.

PS:
    Now this is a 22KHz Tone Switch and the only reason that option is available on later versions of the DiSEqC software is for backward compatibility with these units.

Do not use the 22 KHz/ A/B Tone for any other purpose.

Last edited by beer4life; 04-07-11 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    My apologies for being so adamant, but this unambiguously supports my contention.
    It has me beat as to why the OP did not follow the manual in the first place.

You only use the 22KHz if you are using a 22KHz tone switch box.
    It is not used for Universal either as that is generated automatically at the change over LO Frequency.
    The same Furphy regularly crops up and is why I've researched this problem.

I sincerely hope that has put the genie back in the bottle forever.

Which, was infact what I did.

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why the signal dropped out after 10mins though.

Oh well, it's Monday tomorrow, and one certain satellite retailer in Auckland will have an unhappy customer at his door...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Thanks

Wink

Which, was infact what I did.

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why the signal dropped out after 10mins though.

Oh well, it's Monday tomorrow, and one certain satellite retailer in Auckland will have an unhappy customer at his door...

Thanks for all your help guys!
    That is incorrect. This is what you said:-
    [quote = baldrick]
    I also have a 4 input - 4 output multiswitch which is connected thus:
    • Port 1 = D1 V (22k off)
    • Port 2 = D1 H (22k off)
    • Port 3 = D2 V (22k on)
    • Port 4 = IS5 H (22k on)

Which currently feeds two decoders with the other two outputs terminated with a 75ohm resistor terminator.

The problem arises that if I've been watching D1 for a while, and then switch to either IS5 or D2, it seems to take about 60 seconds for the picture to come up. Looking at the signal bar on the info panel, it would suggest the decoder is trying to work out the signal level, or waiting for it to 'settle'.[/quote]
    My reply was that was not the way to do it.
    Please don't go shifting the goal posts as a cover up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

irdeto2engineer (22-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    The images from " [/COLOR]irdeto2engineer " are MultiSwitches, NOT simple DiSEqC switches.
    And yes, the MultiSwitch generates the 22KHz constant tone and the polarity V/H voltage.[COLOR=Blue]
    Well imho if the OP had bought a proper Multiswitch... like the ones I use which support all LNB types he would not have the switching problem or a delay when changing channels from one satellite to another.

They are the best units to have when you need multiple V & H polarity inputs from C & KU band satellties. The switch doesnt care if the satellite is cband 5150 or KU Band you can still use the 22hhz setting as long as the satellite receiver is setup for each port on the multiswitch. It just means on one set of ports they use a low band and a high 22khz band switch.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

tristen (22-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyComputer View Post
    Yes your switch is a diseqc switch which supports the 4 extra LNB inputs (via 22khz to the LNB) aka a "universal type LNB"

I can see now where the confusion lies, as your diseqc switch is labelled a "multiswitch" too.

This wasn't what the OP was asking about though, he has a simple 22khz multiswitch.
    You could not be more incorrect. It's a multiswitch that supports DISEQC and 22khz ports. It is not a DISEQC switch. It is not a DISEQC switch mislabled as a multiswitch.

Please get your facts correct on this matter.

Thanks

Default LNB switching with 4 in 4 out multiswitch

This is how i got mine to work
    LNB 22khz OFF D1 to switch between V and H
    LNB ON D2
    3 ultraplus recievers 4th rx port ended with 75 ohm terminator plug
    Last edited by noakley; 16-12-11 at 08:39 PM.

• 16-12-11, 04:44 PM

Thanks

Wink Clarification of Splitters, DiSEqC Switches and Multi Switches.

DiSEqC Switch

Can have up to 16 inputs to one decoder.

Where as a Multi Switch can have up to 16 inputs to an infinite number of outputs if daisy chained.

Cor blimey, I sure hope that puts that genie to rest.

On the other hand a Splitter can be used for multiple inputs to more than one decoder. However, depending on "Power Pass", the Horizontal / Vertical Polarity is controlled by the decoder on a Power Pass outlet. To elaborate, if any or all are Power Pass on Horizontal, then no others can tune Vertical.

Last edited by beer4life; 16-12-11 at 09:52 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12