Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share Trading Research Info.

Thanks

Default Share Trading Research Info.

Does anyone know of any reputable websites that give tips/reports for share trading at a reasonable cost. I know of Rivkin & Morningstar. These have fairly costly annual fees. Just wondering if anyone here uses something different. I used to get a bit of research info for free off "Egoli" but there website is crap now - new owners.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Educate yourself in what influences market trends and share price fluctuation for particular industry sectors, then choose a few companies to watch. Look for factors in their reports, presses releases, announcements etc that could impact on their securities.

You don't get anything for nothing in this world. You either pay someone to do the grunt work, or you do the grunt work yourself. If you're not prepared to hand over a little cold hard, prepare yourself to do a LOT of reading.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

montessa (21-08-11),Seymour Butts (21-08-11)

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

All the people I know who have shares and the best brokers wish they had not listened to anyone and just kept their money in the bank earning 5% pa.

There are to many factors they drive shares up or down. All out of your control.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hughdman For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (21-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughdman View Post
    All the people I know who have shares and the best brokers wish they had not listened to anyone and just kept their money in the bank earning 5% pa.

There are to many factors they drive shares up or down. All out of your control.
    Then they don't have the best brokers . Either that, or they're not taking the advice they're given. You're right in that the market is out of our control however if you do your home work and are dilligent, you'll make plenty of coin in both bull and bear markets. Again though, it's all down to just how much work you're willing to put in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

Wow, thats a hell of a statement hughdman and while I DON'T disbelieve it, I'm sure it's an honest assessment of your circle friends, I do fail to understand why.

In 1987 I was made redundant from a large international food company, my pay out from this company was just over 100K.
    50% of this payout had to be left in the company prescribed super company (BT-Westpac), I was left with the remainder and I decided to setup a self managed super fund. Now admittedly I've had many jobs since then and the after tax payments to each fund has been split 60/40 with 60% of the payments going to my fund and 40% going to the BT Managed fund.

In the 24 years since then the BT fund, after all costs and management fees etc etc has averaged just over 10% and this last year only managed 6.10% - agreed pathetic and if was all I had I would have topped myself by now

My own fund has averaged 17.6% and this year I've only managed 9.7%

My only rule of thumb is keeping 80% of the fund in Blue chip

Mate, I'm the laziest dickhead this side of the black stump, If I can stay out of the red anyone can.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

montessa (21-08-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! Much appreciated, so it looks like I need to do a lot of reading...busy times ahead.

Thanks

What I would like to know is how to pick the little companies to buy/sell frequently with the aim to make small regular profits. I suppose we need a crystal ball.

Thanks

Look for small IPOs or the penny dreadfuls in the old school. IE: start ups that hit the market at a few cents per share with small parcel sizes. Again, do as much research on the company, it's directors and their past and current projects. Look into the board members and their history. If you like what you see, invest and profit. It's actually the smaller companies that offer the opportunity for big gains in the short term. It also represents the highest risk.

You need to work on a strategy though and stick with it. That may be short, medium or long term, blue chips, specs etc. You can diversify once you've gain enough experience in your initial chosen area.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

montessa (21-08-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

A well known investment site lists the following reasons for stocks going up and down:

Why Stocks Go Up
    •growing sales and profits
    •a great new president hired to run the company
    •an exciting new product or service is introduced
    •more exciting new products or services are expected
    •the company lands a big new contract
    •a great review of a new product in the press or on TV
    •the company is going to split its stock
    •scientists discover the product is good for something else
    •some famous investor is buying shares
    •lots of people are buying shares
    •an analyst upgrades the company, changing her recommendation from, for instance, "buy" to "strong buy"
    •other stocks in the same industry go up
    •a competitor's factory burns down
    •the company wins a lawsuit
    •more people are buying the product or service
    •the company expands globally and starts selling in other countries
    •the industry is "hot" -- people expect big things for good reasons
    •the industry is "hot" -- people don't understand much about it, but they're buying anyway
    •the company is bought by another company
    •the company might be bought by another company
    •the company is going to spin-off part of itself as a new company
    •rumors
    •for no reason at all

Why Stocks Go Down
    •profits slipping, sales slipping
    •top executives leave the company
    •a famous investor sells shares of the company
    •an analyst downgrades his recommendation of the stock, maybe from "buy" to "hold"
    •the company loses a major customer
    •lots of people are selling shares
    •a factory burns down
    •other stocks in the same industry go down
    •another company introduces a better product
    •there's a supply shortage, so not enough of the product can be made
    •a big lawsuit is filed against the company
    •scientists discover the product is not safe
    •fewer people are buying the product
    •the industry used to be "hot," but now another industry is more popular
    •some new law might hurt sales or profits
    •a powerful company enters the business
    •rumors
    •no reason at all

Personally I look for innovation with the 20% of my portfolio that I'm prepared to play with. While the majority of that 20% I tend to leave with resources I do have the occasional flutter with a much smaller percentage, I try to find companies that follow the marketing adage "Change the packaging and you essentially change the product' Cadbury are past masters at this, they started out with a basic block chocolate range, by value adding that range (Taking a standard block of dairy milk and adding fruit and nuts to the mix) they, overnight, doubled the appreciable market. China is capitalizing on this right now in the electronics market.
    I'm semi retired now so I have the time to do the research but I read everyday not only the local stuff but just about everything I can drag in from overseas.
    The thing to remember is you can't know everything about every company so what I have done is pick a field I am interested in, in my case food, and with that small amount of money I'm prepared to play with / loose I research and invest in Food Companies

• The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

montessa (21-08-11)

Thanks

Sorry Seymour, but take away the extra payments you have made what has your $100,000 been turned into from 1987.

There is a saying about the stockmarket.

If you want to make 1 million dollars on the stockmarket, start with 2 million.

Thanks

I love the last reasons why stocks go up or down, I can relate to that.

I've been bitten by the stockmarket and I've seen neighbours sell up as they had margin loans securing their shares.

Rule 1. Use only your own money. If you can't afford to lose money don't play the stockmarket.

If I was going to play the stockmarket I would with only 2 shares they are BHP and TLS. I would buy TLS under $3 and hold also BHP under $40.00. TLS is still paying around 10% dividend which is quite healthy.

Thanks

I've been bitten by the stockmarket
    I think this about sums it up. If you've been bitten by it, sorry but you made a blue somewhere along the way. There's two reasons people loose on the market, either they don't do their homework, or they get greedy. People usually respond to that with, "oh but I did my homework and the unexpected happened". If that's the case, you got greedy and didn't pull out when you should have. No one's got a crystal ball, but if you know what to look for it's a rare occasion that something 'just happens' causing a security or the market to plummet.

Individuals that tend to loose on and thus berate the market are those that think it's an easy way to get rich quick, and aren't happy with modest returns. If you can't be brutally honest with yourself or lack self control, find something else to do with your money. The rewards brought by disciplined trading are certainly there or the financial securities industry wouldn't be what it is today.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

ATTITUDE (21-08-11),marty 17 (21-08-11),montessa (21-08-11)

Thanks

Well it's sort of not my money its my super (so I spose it os my money) but when my broker rings up and says to buy a share at 7.7c and now its traded at 2.7c it hurts, my broker also reccommended me selling nfd about 4 years ago for i think 4.75 the next day it went to $5.70 I was dark. My broker also bought be BSL for alot more than they are now.

Would you like to conduct an experiment Drift, if so pls pick 3 stocks and you can mention the timeframe and let's say we have $15000 to spend and we won't worry about brokerage for the experiment.

Up for a little fun?

Thanks

My broker also bought BHP for 8.00 and if this wasn't the case my portfolio would be very sad looking.

Thanks

Well it's sort of not my money its my super (so I spose it os my money) but when my broker rings up and says to buy a share at 7.7c and now its traded at 2.7c it hurts, my broker also reccommended me selling nfd about 4 years ago for i think 4.75 the next day it went to $5.70 I was dark. My broker also bought be BSL for alot more than they are now.

Would you like to conduct an experiment Drift, if so pls pick 3 stocks and you can mention the timeframe and let's say we have $15000 to spend and we won't worry about brokerage for the experiment.

Up for a little fun?
    I'd have looked for a new broker after that, or done a little more research myself

Always up for a little fun. Give me a couple of days and I'll post back with my 3.

Thanks

To the OP don't forget Rivkin also got done for inside trading, it would also be great to be able to buy some shares then announce to all your followers which share to buy ie the ones you have bought, see the price go up then sell them.

Thanks

Are you in the market atm Drift

Thanks

I pulled most of the specs out just before the GFC hit. Only just dipping my toes back in the water with blue chips (WES) as I'm no longer in the position to spend hours every day pouring through financial info.

Thanks

Well I've picked my 3 so when you're ready post them up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Then they don't have the best brokers . Either that, or they're not taking the advice they're given. You're right in that the market is out of our control however if you do your home work and are dilligent, you'll make plenty of coin in both bull and bear markets. Again though, it's all down to just how much work you're willing to put in.
    My mate who works on the mine, borrowed $250,000 and invested in a managed fund where the fund bought 5 blue chips, the fund guarantedd the price of the shares at the purchase price. If the shares were worth more than the $250,000 he gets the profit, If they go down, he is guaranteed the $250,000. He thought he could not lose. Well after the 5 years the share price was $117,000 and he walked away from it.

How the scheme worked was he never payed anything for 5 years, they use a buffer account which just pays the interest. When I say he walked away from it his buffer account is $300,000 and he now has to pay this back. Ok he received dividends along the way and he received tax breaks each year. It looks like the fund managers got this wrong. I know history shows you usually make money with shares but timing is everything.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast