Thread: Connecting phone to Ness D8

Thanks

Default Connecting phone to Ness D8

Hi,
    We recently moved into a house with a Ness D8 alarm. We use it as a local alarm, but it has no phone line connected at the moment.

I am just wonering if is ok for me to plug the telephone socket into it. I have the manual. Or should it be done by a licenced installer?

Thank you.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmpere View Post
    Hi,
    We recently moved into a house with a Ness D8 alarm. We use it as a local alarm, but it has no phone line connected at the moment.

I am just wonering if is ok for me to plug the telephone socket into it. I have the manual. Or should it be done by a licenced installer?

Thank you.
    Technically it needs to be done by a licensced installer. Is the manual you have the installer or user manual as the system will need to be programmed to use the phone line.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Sickpuppy For This Useful Post:

kmpere (30-08-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have both manuals.

Thanks

Use a licensed installer, if you want your alarm to meet Aust standards you'll need the alarm to be MODE 3'd which means the system can take over the phone line in the event of an alarm even if someone is on the phone.
    Is there a phone line at the panel and it's just been disconnected? or will a new phone line need to be installed?
    If there's a phone line already at the panel it's possible that the MODE 3 for the house has already been done..... however don't just plug it in as the alarm may start dialing out to a previously programmed number, and you'll be up for all those calls.

So where does that leave you? Best case scenario, phone lines there and it just needs to be connected and the TECHNICIAN just need to program the dialer. Standard call out fee

Worse case, there's no phone line and you'll have to pay to get one run to the panel, MODE 3'd and programmed, the TECH would be able to do all this but this will cost you more $$$

One other thing, if you want it connected to the phone line you obviously want it monitored.... so you'll have to sign a monitoring agreement with a security company with ongoing fees..... always with the fees.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to AdRock For This Useful Post:

kmpere (02-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    One other thing, if you want it connected to the phone line you obviously want it monitored.... so you'll have to sign a monitoring agreement with a security company with ongoing fees..... always with the fees.....
    It could also mean they might want it to call there mobile and not have it monitored.
    Cheers Mick
    Licensed security installer

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

• The Following User Says Thank You to R E S S For This Useful Post:

kmpere (02-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R E S S View Post
    It could also mean they might want it to call there mobile and not have it monitored.
    That's true, forgot about that option

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    That's true, forgot about that option
    All good mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers Mick
    Licensed security installer

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks

Thank so much to you all (Sickpuppy, adRock & Ress) for your comments. As there is a phone adapter on nearby wall (used to be for a phone handset), I can get a line to plug that into the alarm system (no wiring) and see how it goes. I will not be using a monitoring company, but just to my mobile. In the past it was not monitored as far as I can see, I have checked the alarm memory. As for Mode 3 I will check if it is in the manual.
    Thank you again for your suggetions.