Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much board/rent should a child pay ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default How much board/rent should a child pay ?

Interrested in what people think or what they charge their own children.

I hit my 18 yo daughter up for board today and asked her for $100 a week which includes food and utilities. She cracked the shits and claims its excessively high. She brings home $7-800 a week.

I have to inform Centrelink that she is now working and will finish up losing Family Tax benefit for her, so I am going to be out of pocket as well.

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Maybe she needs to see how much it costs out in the big wide world. It will cost her more than $100/week!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

enf (28-09-11),OSIRUS (27-09-11),porkop (27-09-11),SS Dave (27-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

i have a g/son living with us, he pays $150 a week.

he is always sooking about it, when he is told to go live somewhere else, he says its to dear, he is nearly 23 yo.

tell her to go find somewhere cheaper. she wont because she cant, give her an ultimation, pay it or move out.

btw at 18 she is not a child anymore
    Last edited by mango; 27-09-11 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks

Ha i have a 18 year old son living at home and he refuses to pay board and he eats us out of house and home, but the wife thinks its ok and she still friggen cleans up after him

Tagg

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Ha i have a 18 year old son living at home and he refuses to pay board and he eats us out of house and home, but the wife thinks its ok and she still friggen cleans up after him

Tagg
    Sounds as much fun as mine

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

porkop (27-09-11),tagg (27-09-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post

Tagg
    WTF

SS Dave

Thanks

we have a setup that she pays 1/3 of what ever she earns and it has to go into
    a account we setup.

It was not so much for her paying her way but so they learned that no matter how much you earn so much is always gone no matter what.

when the first left home we gave it all back to her $13k so she was well setup and we will do the same with the youngest one.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (27-09-11),Mysterex (27-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    we have a setup that she pays 1/3 of what ever she earns and it has to go into
    a account we setup.

It was not so much for her paying her way but so they learned that no matter how much you earn so much is always gone no matter what.

when the first left home we gave it all back to her $13k so she was well setup and we will do the same with the youngest one.
    I reckon that's a great suggestion if people could afford to do that. Could even go towards a deposit for their own house.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

Bugger me, So many great Ideas.
    I'm not sure where I went wrong with my lot.
    I have two boys and two girls, there is a big age spread between the boys and the girls and but the boys got pretty much the same deal as the girls, That is they lived rent free, I bought them each their first cars and essentially kept and supported them till they left home.
    We never charged them a penny, indeed when they each (Girls) decided they had found the guy they wanted to partner up with we let the partners live here as well.

To cut a long story short, perhaps there is something in the water here, or maybe, just maybe we were just lucky in our parenting skills.

Both my boys enjoy rather well paid careers, appear to be in successful marriages and allow us to enjoy our grandchildren any time we like.

Both my daughters are self employed, enjoy successful partnerships (1 x Married 1 x still thinking about it) and they and their partners appear happy with what they have all achieved.

In the past on birthdays and special occasions the four of them have teamed up and bought for us many, many, really different and thoughtful gifts including things as diverse as overseas cruises and photographic portraits of families and special occasions.
    Last year for my 60th birthday they got together and imported my elderly Mother from overseas and two of my grandchildren who also live overseas, here to Australia to join in the celebrations.
    It's my wifes birthday on Thursday and again the four of them have gotten together and this time bought her a 3.5 carat diamond bracelet - I don't know if any of you have checked the price of Diamonds lately but in my book this in itself more than compensates a few meals I gave them when the were young.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't being sarcastic with my opening line, there are many, many great ideas being offered here, I simply believe that what ever you choose in this situation will no doubt be the culmination of everything you have taught and experienced in the past, after all, you have been her role model for the last 18 years.

Thanks

I'd be reminding her that if you're only receiving $100 a week but paying for food, utilities and losing the FTb chances are you're not making any money at all.

Most ads I see for flatmates start at more than $100 a week which includes nothing

Thanks

Symore we also bought them their first car ( reliable old clankers )

BUT

when we gave them the keys we sat down and worked out what it would cost
    like rego- insurance - service etc apart from fuel for the year so ontop of what they gave / give us they had to
    also have an account that they would weekly put in the portion that was needed for the year

EG: cost $2000 for the year so they would have to bank $40 pw out of what they
    had left and if they didn't no excuses they could not/ can not use the car
    until they have caught up the payment.

you take out a loan you have to make your payments etc and that's what we try and teach them
    Last edited by fandtm666; 27-09-11 at 11:17 AM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

jok11n (27-09-11),warbo (28-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    Symore we also bought them their first car ( reliable old clankers )

BUT

when we gave them the keys we sat down and worked out what it would cost
    like rego- insurance - service etc apart from fuel for the year so ontop of what they gave / give us they had to
    also have an account that they would weekly put in the portion that was needed for the year

EG: cost $2000 for the year so they would have to bank $40 pw out of what they
    had left and if they didn't no excuses they could not/ can not use the car
    until they have caught up the payment.

you take out a loan you have to make your payments etc and that's what we try and teach them
    Yes, very similar scenario at this end - I call them life lessons, but I'm sure your sitdown was just a refresher, these are all things learnt from the knee

Administrator
    Thanks

Well I reckon she can pay or get out. She has applied for numerous rental properties with friends and been knocked back every time. No one wants to rent a 4 bedroom house to 4 18 year olds. Surprise surprise.

It amazes me that kids are happy to pay money to anyone bar their parents. I have given her a car and recently paid $3000 to have her do Certificate 3 in Aged Care, which is a good start to doing nursing and earning money at the same time. I cannot afford to keep giving out money to freeloading children, I have given her many things and if she cant give something back, she can go elsewhere. In the meantime, she can stop using my internet, power, gas and hot water if she is not contributing to it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (28-09-11),Mgoldbe1 (27-09-11),tagg (27-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Interrested in what people think or what they charge their own children.

I hit my 18 yo daughter up for board today and asked her for $100 a week which includes food and utilities. She cracked the shits and claims its excessively high. She brings home $7-800 a week.

I have to inform Centrelink that she is now working and will finish up losing Family Tax benefit for her, so I am going to be out of pocket as well.
    I think $100 dollars is more than fair.........

Thanks

100 divided by 7 = $14.28 a day,kids just wont listen,they dont know a good deal if it hit em on the head.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATTITUDE View Post
    100 divided by 7 = $14.28 a day,kids just wont listen,they dont know a good deal if it hit em on the head.
    Thats probably a good way of pointing it out to her, go and live on $14 a day.

Snookums, I think it is more than fair based on her wage (apparently she has just got a second job as well.....I wish I netted a gorilla a week at 18), if she was unemployed or studying it would be less or free like it has been. But the buck has to stop somewhere and I think that time is now, particuarly as I lose income as well.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Rick (27-09-11)

Thanks

Hello All, I used the formular of 1/3 regardless of what their wage was and if they continued on in education they eventually earn more when they did start to work.

Some revolted and moved out (for a while).

Its nice now they are middle age to hear them say "we turned out pretty good dad didn't we."

I still don't think this is unfair and giving them a free ride doesn't help them
    with life lessons.

Look,,, a baby cries to get what it wants and kids will continue the practice as long as it still works.

Regards Flicker.
    Theres a good time coming, its a good time coming though.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

my kids still live at home, my eldest he is an apprentice, I charge him $75 a week, and he recons he should pay more, but I wont take anymore, the 2nd eldest is on youth allowance he pays $50 a week, my kids are happy to pay their way, partically when everything is covered like tucker,power,internet,washing all meals are cooked, after sitting them down and explaining how tough it is to live in the real world they totally understood.Sanity have you explained to her that she couldnt live outside your house for that kind of money? I recon your $100 board a week is extremely fair, I wish I could have a roof over my head and everything done for a mere $100 a week

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

When I did the home thing I was asked to pay $90 a week, but I gave them $130 a week to cover some of the costs.

Mick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

would you consider adoption, kick her out I'll come and live there for $100 a week

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

Rick (27-09-11)