Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uec DSD4121 stb box issues

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    So there was no card activation problem ?

Yes there was a card activation problem but that was not the cause of the issues in this thread.

Why did it work magically on the suppliers test bench!

I would love to know that too!

Could it be that when it did not work, pushing to many of the wrong buttons....etc confused the STB

No.

Glad you got it going
    I am glad too, just hope it does not shit itself 1 day after the warranty runs out.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newy1234 For This Useful Post:

aVAST ye landlubbers (12-01-12),OSIRUS (11-01-12)

Thanks

Unhappy VASTly unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by newy1234 View Post
    I am glad too, just hope it does not shit itself 1 day after the warranty runs out.
    Hello,
    How is my VAST??
    Did I really expect it to be better than Aurora? Yes.
    Was I dissapointed? Of course. So many more channels with so much more bad programming, new Wintal pvr 210hd skips the ads brilliantly, we record and delete everything. And how do you read the black epg text on the selected deep blue background, really smart move. And it reboots at least 1-2 times a night, talk about a pain in the proverbial.
    Bought a UEC dsd 4121 last xmas, 2 weeks to get activated, my fault mainly trying to get on thru xmas break probably.
    AND IT DIED YESTERDAY. 2-3 WEEKS OUT OF WARRANTY. (no lights,zilch,nada........?power supply?.....cant open it, voids warranty sticker.)
    The dealer is going to send it back. Will i hold my breath waitng for a replacement? I dont think so.
    Will i get another one? I dont really have a choice being well out of Terrestial range.
    And the Aurora UEC dsd 990, 4 yrs old and keeps chugging along. (So far, touchwood and turn 3 times.)
    UEC have a monopoly i guess. $269 seems a lot for $50 worth of electronics.
    Anyone else out there with VAST UEC problems?
    Cheers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The complete failure (power supply) of these boxes seems to be an issue with more reports of them failing as time goes by.

I had one die completely and it was replaced promptly.

There's several issues discussed in this forum.

Apart from the technical issue, I don't understand why you'd be disappointed with VAST compared to Aurora, with all the additional channels, widescreen aspect and far superior PQ.

The program content is nothing to do with VAST or UEC.

I totally agree the boxes are excessively priced just to receive FTA TV, compared to terrestrial offerings.

The biggest part of the cost is licensing fees to Optus, not the equipment itself.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

domwild (12-12-14),OSIRUS (12-01-12),Tiny (12-01-12),william10 (12-01-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Regreatably too many expect the quality of the PROGRAMMING to equal the quality of the transmitted SIGNAL but unfortunately like the old spiritual says so suitably,
    'It aint Necessarily SOOOO'.
    Now Jonah, He may well have lived in a Whale but he didnt have the offerings we get thrown to us on Terrestial.
    Beware Avast, for there be channels you not given yet such as TV4Me (74/64) a 24/7 Infomerchial shopping/life style etc channel.
    At least on VAST you still have the 'Digital Loop' to soothe thy furrowed brow after a hard days of striding the Poop Deck instead of all those pesky advertisments.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Rodnic (12-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Seems there's no pleasing some people....

They whinge when they don't have access to the same programming as others.. then whinge when they get it.

Sure there's a lot of crap programs on both FTA and pay TV... there are other options, go to the cinema if there's one close enough... DVD's.. or just turn it off and have nothing, which brings us back to square one.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (12-01-12),OSIRUS (12-01-12),Rodnic (12-01-12),Tiny (12-01-12),william10 (12-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Seems there's no pleasing some people....

They whinge when they don't have access to the same programming as others.. then whinge when they get it.

Sure there's a lot of crap programs on both FTA and pay TV... there are other options, go to the cinema if there's one close enough... DVD's.. or just turn it off and have nothing, which brings us back to square one.
    And I'm sure they will whinge that there is nothing worth recording now that the whinge on another thread has been satisfied.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aVAST ye landlubbers View Post
    UEC have a monopoly i guess. $269 seems a lot for $50 worth of electronics.
    Anyone else out there with VAST UEC problems?
    If your box is a PVR and it sounds like it is,then how come you got it for $269.00 that's the price for a non PVR

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    If your box is a PVR and it sounds like it is,then how come you got it for $269.00 that's the price for a non PVR
    I think the PVR the OP was referring to was a Wintal, which obviously couldn't have been used to receive VAST, but perhaps used to record from the output of the UEC VAST box?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-01-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks

my 4121 is beginning to "lose signal" It will randomly drop out for no reason, and may take several reboots, switching off and restoring factory defaults to come good. The only thing that seems to stop it is switching it off at the power overnight.

By the way, skies are clear and when I plug in Aurora on the strong box it fires up straight away, so there's no issues outside of the 4121.

The box just out of warranty as well and I can't afford to replace it right now.

That being said, if I have to buy a new substandard overpriced box every year it'd be cheaper to use pay tv! well almost - but it'd be less frustrating
    Last edited by steveandnadine; 14-01-12 at 08:44 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I would be getting it checked out as soon as possible, (to find out what the problem is....?)

maybe contact the person who sold it to you,

products not too far out of warranty may still have a chance of being covered.....

cheers
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 14-01-12 at 09:49 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member

Thanks

Its been reported before the UEC can be prone to power supply problems so location for ventilation may be an issue with them if its not a possible flaw in the design/equipment.
    I remember many had problems with the Humax with capacitor failures in the power supply that caused similar problems.
    Once the Caps were replaced, mine at least have worked for several years without problems.
    A not altogether satisfactory option is for those who are really remote would be to buy a 2nd STB after a few months to ensure if one fails and needs attention, at least your not sitting looking at the wall.
    I dont mean to have it sitting in the box gathering dust but connected to another TV eleswhere.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

domwild (25-11-14)

Thanks

What is the signal quality reported by your box when it is working? You can see this in menu->advanced options->signal detection. Quality below about 36 means the signal is not clean enough.

Checking the Aurora box is no guarantee that the signal is good enough for VAST. DVBS2 demands a stronger signal and better dish alignment, particularly LNB skew.

P.S: Are you sure it's the VAST box losing satellite signal, and not your TV saying "no signal", as if it couldn't see the HDMI/AV? If the VAST box is having satellite issues, you will see a message on the screen like "E52-32 Searching for signal at xxxxxMHz..."

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buffalo Bill For This Useful Post:

beer4life (14-01-12),mtv (14-01-12),OSIRUS (14-01-12),Tiny (14-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    ...Checking the Aurora box is no guarantee that the signal is good enough for VAST. DVBS2 demands a stronger signal and better dish alignment, particularly LNB skew.
    I can confirm this, as I have seen several installations where Aurora works fine, but VAST signals are very marginal, requiring extremely accurate dish and LNB alignment.

EDIT: Further to that... I would highly recommend a minimum dish size of 85cm for VAST in most areas.... larger for some areas.
    Last edited by mtv; 14-01-12 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added info

OSIRUS (14-01-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Under the HAS/SSS assistance arrangements, is there a minimum size dish stated or is it left to the installer?

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

P.S: Are you sure it's the VAST box losing satellite signal, and not your TV saying "no signal", as if it couldn't see the HDMI/AV? If the VAST box is having satellite issues, you will see a message on the screen like "E52-32 Searching for signal at xxxxxMHz..."

This as noted early in this thread is on the money.
    A blank purple screen.
    No Menu.
    No error message.
    You don't need to be Einstein to figure out that there is no or faulty connection from Box to TV.
    Obviously nothing to do with dish installation!
    What cables/connections are you using?
    Is it a High Definition TV?
    Are you just using the one cable connection for AV and HDMI?

Last edited by beer4life; 14-01-12 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks

The fact that steveandnadine says they "restore to factory defaults" would seem to indicate that they can see the menu etc on their TV.

For sure if you cannot see anything at all on the TV, no menus etc, then it's got nothing to do with the satellite signal.

HDMI connections often give problems, some TVs have issues synching, particularly with HDCP. If connected with HDMI and you cannot get any picture, connect up with composite to double-check. The problem might be as simple as a shonky (cheap) HDMI cable corrupting data.

Of course, if you do have picture (info-bar, menu, etc) and you can see a "E52-32" error, or it doesn't want to scan channels, then you have satellite signal issues...
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 14-01-12 at 04:45 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buffalo Bill For This Useful Post:

mtv (14-01-12),OSIRUS (14-01-12),Tiny (14-01-12)

Thanks

Talking

See post #1.
    Quote Originally Posted by newy1234
    I plugged it into power and it goes through the startup process, it shows 'boot' on the screen of the STB and the TV displays a blank purple screen for about 3 secs then the TV screen goes totally blank and the STB shows 'SCAN' on its screen.
    If I power the STB off via the remote and turn it back it shows a channel on its screen, I have seen channel 10, 11, 21, 31 etc on there, but still nothing on the TV screen. Still no buttons on the remote do anything and nothing on the TV sceen.
    He's seeing the Channel Nos. on the box, but NOTHING on the TV.

Last edited by beer4life; 14-01-12 at 05:32 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    [COLOR=Blue]
    See post #1.

He's seeing the Channel Nos. on the box, but NOTHING on the TV.

newy1234 had his issues sorted... the comments from Buffalo Bill and myself are in relation to the posts from steveandnadine, which suggest they 'can' see menus on the screen.

Buffalo Bill (14-01-12)

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast