Thread: Whirlpool Flammable Fridge

Thanks

Default Whirlpool Flammable Fridge

Hi all,

I just made an interesting discovery with a faulty Whirlpool fridge.

It kept tripping the circuit breaker and wasn't defrosting properly. Also the sides of the cabinet were getting disturbingly hot.

I did a bit of research and discovered that there is a heating element in the freezer section. This is the "Frost Free" function, it runs for 12mins every 6 hours on a timer next to the compressor.

Anyway I pulled off the panel inside the freezer to inspect it. I found the glass heating element was smashed and the escaped coiled "toaster wire" inside was shorting on a metal drip tray to the cabinet chassis. Good design Whirlpool ! Way to go for safety. NOT impressed.

Now it doesn't trip the breaker, but the sides are still really hot and the compressor gets hot enough to burn my finger...

Anybody got any ideas ? Needless to say I've left the wretched thing unplugged.

Tetsuo
    Last edited by Tetsuo; 23-12-11 at 05:54 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i had same thing happon 5 year ago i just disconected the heater and it bean running ok since and the sides of the cabinet are now normal, only thing is i have to defrost it now and again cos the Frost Free" function not operate

the compressor will get hot
    if the sides still getting hot the element may be on all the time
    when it shorted may of damadge the timer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Thumbs down LG seem to get plenty of brick bats.

Certainly not the way to influence customers.

If they do not come to the party with reasonable recompense etc., I suggest that you take it up with the Dept. of Fair Trading in your State.

Kindest Regards, "The Druid ".

Thanks

Ok, well after consultation with a whitegoods repair expert it seems that the initial heating up thing is perfectly normal. When the fridge is first turned on the compressor has to work at full load for some time to bring the temp down to standard operation, as the coils in new fridges are embedded in the sides of the cabinet not hanging off the back like they used to, they are much less efficient at disseminating the heat load which is then transmitted thru the cabinet surface.

My "new" (found in hard trash) fridge is now working perfectly

Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    Slightly off the subject, but a whirlpool frost free fridge. Went on holidays and had everything except the fridge and a few clocks etc turned off. I monitor the power into the house and record the results. When I got back I found except for the first day I was away I had excessive power drawn from 0500 to 1300 every day. This was approx 6kwh's during that period. When I got home and started using the fridge ie opening the door the total energy used with everything on was less than 6kwh's during the period 0500 - 1300. Does anyone know if these units start using the defrost heater excessivelly if the fridge is left on, but not used? Since arriving home I have not had a repeat of the high usage during that period.