Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding any satellite signal (Optus D2)

Thanks

Default Trouble finding any satellite signal (Optus D2)

Hey guys,

To find Optus D2 lyngsat tells me the elevation to be 50.6 degrees... my satellite dish is on the 2nd floor of a unit block...does that make any difference to the elevation? and is 65cm ku dish large enough to pick up different satellites like D2, Intelsat etc? So yea i am having trouble finding any satellite signal? BTW i am in western Sydney if that makes a difference.

So my equipment is
    - 65cm Ku Dish
    - Ku-Band Dual-pol lnb
    - Dreamax 490 receiver

Thanks guys

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mak10 View Post
    Hey guys,

To find Optus D2 lyngsat tells me the elevation to be 50.6 degrees... my satellite dish is on the 2nd floor of a unit block...does that make any difference to the elevation? and is 65cm ku dish large enough to pick up different satellites like D2, Intelsat etc? So yea i am having trouble finding any satellite signal? BTW i am in western Sydney if that makes a difference.

So my equipment is
    - 65cm Ku Dish
    - Ku-Band Dual-pol lnb
    - Dreamax 490 receiver

Thanks guys
    Try entering your address details into

You can drag the marker to the exact position of your dish.

Elevation and azimuth figures are approximate only and you will still need to make some fine adjustments to obtain reliable signal.

You will need to slowly 'sweep' the dish left/right/left making slight elevation adjustments each time whilst listening to the satfinder tone and/or watching the signal levels on the screen from the decoder.

You need to make the movements very slowly to allow the decoder display to catch up and lock onto any signals found.

What are you using to find the signal... satfinder?.... box only?

Do you have the correct settings on your decoder to match those of the LNB and the transponder you are using for tuning?

Is the LNB skew set correctly? (about the 7 o'clock position of the output connector at the bottom, when viewed from the front of the dish).

Being on a second floor will make no difference to elevation, but you need to ensure your dish has a clear line of sight in the direction of the satellite with no obstructions.

Azimuth for D2 from Penrith is almost due north (true) but will vary depending on your exact location.

Have you located any of the other satellites. eg: C1/D3?

A 65cm dish is adequate for the Optus sats and IS8 Ku

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Basic Dish installation.

Hey guys,

So my equipment is
    - 65cm Ku Dish
    - Ku-Band Dual-pol lnb
    - Dreamax 490 receiver

Thanks guys
    G'Day Cobber.
    Building height would only make a miniscule difference, inconsequential.
    This program will enable you to move the icon to the exact location of the dish and give you a ground line of sight to the satellite.
    You can only lock onto one satellite with a fixed dish unless you use a multi-LNB set up.

Be aware that you need to select the same LNB in the decoder as the LNB itself. Possibly 11300 , 10700 , Universal.

Address: parramatta, nsw
    Latitude: -33.8151°
    Longitude: 151.0032°
    Satellite: 152E OPTUS D2
    Elevation: 50.7°
    Azimuth (true): 1.8°
    Azimuth (magn.): -10.8°

You can click and drag the marker

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys,

I have tried the satfinder site but still not luck.

I don't have a sat signal finder only the receiver to tell me the signal.

I will change the lnb skew and the setting for the lnb which is says 11.3Ghz which i assume is 11300 on the receiver?

I'm worried that the building infront of me is blocking the sat line just barely

Banned
    Thanks

Well the above info is ok but as iv'e said before find C1 first as this has a strong signal then move your disk very slightly to the left from behind and up a fraction.
    Slightly and fraction is what it is, to much and you will be there for a long time

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys,

I have tried the satfinder site but still not luck.

I don't have a sat signal finder only the receiver to tell me the signal.

I will change the lnb skew and the setting for the lnb which is says 11.3Ghz which i assume is 11300 on the receiver?

I'm worried that the building infront of me is blocking the sat line just barely
    Yes, the LO frequency of the LNB must be selected as the same in the decoder.

What transponder frequency are you using to tune?

If the signal path is obscured, you will not receive any signals.

If you post all your decoder settings, that will help us identify if you have any settings incorrect.

Thanks

transponder frequency?

what decoder settings are you taking about? is it v/h etc because im just using on auto scan.

I really need a satellite signal finder haha anywhere in western sydney that has this equipment?

Administrator
    Thanks

transponder frequency?

what decoder settings are you taking about? is it v/h etc because im just using on auto scan.

I really need a satellite signal finder haha anywhere in western sydney that has this equipment?
    You can't do an auto scan until you have the dish correctly aligned to a satellite... there's your main problem.

You MUST set your decoder up with a valid transponder first to be able to see any signal display.

Try 12644MHz V SR 22500 FEC 3/4

A good supplier in Western Sydney:

BAS SATELLITE TV

187 Great Western HWY

Mays Hill, NSW 2145

Thanks

Hey Mak,
    Before you play with your dish, what you do is this:

1. Look directly north and check that your dish is mounted in a place where there is nothing in front of it. The elevation of Optus D2 is roughly 50 degrees everywhere in Syd.

2. Check that the decoder has the correct settings. Either
    A. Find a friend who has an identical set up and plug in your box to see whether you get any channels. You only need to find one channel.
    B. Take your box and your LNB to the place that you bought your decoder and ask them to program the channels into the box. Show them the LNB to confirm that it is 11300.

3. Then return home and start tuning your dish in the manner suggested by mtv.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, I will do the suggested things when i get a satellite finder in a week cause Hualin tried to rip me off...can i suggest to people in sydney to avoid them. They wanted $35 for a $10 sat signal finder!!!

Thanks

its a very big sky and every setting must be correct, this is where patience is required, as is a cheap sat finder, good luck

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the help,

I finally got a sat signal finder and found out another problem! because i had to connect two coaxial cables together by stripping the plastic and connecting the bare wire i find that the sat signal finder is not working, but when i remove the connection of the two cables and use the one cable connected to the receiver the sat finder works?!?!

What can i do?? I know i can just buy another longer cable to reach outside but i will have to drill holes etc plus i live in a unit.

Administrator
    Thanks

I finally got a sat signal finder and found out another problem! because i had to connect two coaxial cables together by stripping the plastic and connecting the bare wire i find that the sat signal finder is not working, but when i remove the connection of the two cables and use the one cable connected to the receiver the sat finder works?!?!

What can i do?? I know i can just buy another longer cable to reach outside but i will have to drill holes etc plus i live in a unit.
    Not quite sure I understand what you're doing.

The satfinder goes between your decoder and the LNB, close to the dish so you can see/hear the satfinder whilst making adjustments to the dish & LNB.

There are two connection methods.

1. Remove the cable from the LNB and connect it to the decoder side of the satfinder and connect another F to F cable from the LNB side of the satfinder to the LNB.

Once you've aligned your dish, disconnect the satfinder and the extra cable and reconnect the existing cable from the decoder back onto the LNB.

2. As per #1 except use a barrel F joiner to connect the two cables together, leaving the extra cable attached to the LNB. Eg: just disconnect the satfinder and use an F barrel joiner in it's place.

You do not need to change anything inside, drill holes or do anything with the existing cable from your dish.

When you made your extra cable, did you fit the F connectors to it correctly... folding back the braid over the outer sheath so it was in contact with the connectors before crimping them?

Also, it's very important to seal the connections/joints when done to prevent the ingress of moisture into the connectors and cable.

Only use self-amalgamating tape.... not electrical tape.
    Last edited by mtv; 09-02-12 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added info

Banned
    Thanks

What are the 2 cables being connected together for, are you trying to run 2 boxes A couple of photos might help us sort it out for you

Thanks

Not two boxes i am trying to connect the existing cable to another cable so it can reach the receiver because the existing cable is too short. The new cable is an rg6...is that ok & i will put up a photo by tomorrow.

MTV,
    can't i just take the bare copper wire from both cables and twist them together?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Not two boxes i am trying to connect the existing cable to another cable so it can reach the receiver because the existing cable is too short. The new cable is an rg6...is that ok & i will put up a photo by tomorrow.

MTV,
    can't i just take the bare copper wire from both cables and twist them together?
    G'Day Cobber.
    The short answer is NO.
    All cables must be terminated with the correct F6 male connectors and any joining done with female barrel connectors.
    I was horrified by your original description, but accepted that as your way of describing it.

This is what is meant by a barrel connector:-

You do need the correct tools to terminate Micro Wave cables.
    Just twisting wires together? Shudder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Are you truley serious?

thats like getting two hoses and joining them together to make a longer one by twisting them together.

Use the correct tools and connections to make it work just like you would for a hose.
    Last edited by Strada916; 11-02-12 at 02:12 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

MTV,
    As others ahave said. NO, NO, NOOOOOO.

You MUST use the correct connectors, properly fitted.

If you've been just twisting wires together... that expalins why it doesn't work.

And if you have a short, you risk blowing up your decoder and/or satfinder.

Banned
    Thanks

Have a look at this showing a screw on F connector if you don't have the neccessary tools. Ignore the last bit and screw on an in line (barrel connector) instead.

Last edited by toyboy11; 11-02-12 at 04:26 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

I don't recommend using srew-on F connectors.

They cut/rip the braid out with the thread and they are very prone to shorting.

They also have poor performance at high frequencies (eg: satellite) compared to crimp/compression F connectors.

Also, when using a barrel joiner, use one specifically rated for satellite use (3GHz) others will work, but are lossy by comparison.

If you can't make the cable correctly yourself, but one from a satellite or TV accessories supplier.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (11-02-12)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast