Thread: Rank Arena - LCD TV

Thanks

Default Rank Arena - LCD TV

Hi all, my next project is a TV given to me, which my 10 year old daughter already has dibs on!. Its a Rank Arena Model: 32" LCD - TL3291. Was told TV has sound, no picture issue, and that it had been diagnosed as faulty panel and not worth fixing.

Got it home and fired it up, and all worked fine!....watched a movie on it all good. Turned it off, came back to it, and then problem rose - no picture. When taking the back off, it I would be reasonably confident in saying that the back had never been off before - dust etc was still over screws etc, so dont know how it was diagnosed as such! - and given it did work earlier, i dont think its the panel at fault.

When turned on, the CCFL tubes dont even flicker or no life there at all. When looking at the screen very closely, there is no sign of any image faintly showing.

I looked over it all closely, no bulged caps in PSU, or inverter board. Measured the voltages on PSU, and appeared ok - though a 5V pin was reading 4.1V's. Would this be a concern? This pin "5VSB"goes off to the tuner board.

Thinking it maybe a dry-joint, I resoldered as much as i could on the PSU and Inverter board, reassembled it, though no change.

I havent replaced any caps yet, does this sound like an inverter board issue? Would it be worthwhile replaces as many caps as I can through the entire TV?

Any ideas on what to look for next?

Thanks all...again!

Look Here ->
    In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Yikes, I haven't heard that name for a LONG time, and then they were primarily UK TVs. I don't think RA was ever sold here.

What's the bet it's not even a real RA. Probably a china produced set just using the badge. Just like the AKAI toasters being sold at the Red Shed.

The 4.1 v rail seems a bit low. I'd expect closer to 5 volts. Don't go changing caps throughout the set just yet, total waste of time and money. Need to localise the fault and repair just that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BCNZ; 08-03-12 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    Yikes, I haven't heard that name for a LONG time, and then they were primarily UK TVs. I don't think RA was ever sold here.

What's the bet it's not even a real RA. Probably a china produced set just using the badge. Just like the AKAI toasters being sold at the Red Shed.

The 4.1 v rail seems a bit low. I'd expect closer to 5 volts. Don't go changing caps throughout the set just yet, total waste of time and money. Need to localise the fault and repair just that.

Good luck.
    Rank Arena was big in Australia with CRT CTV in the late 1970 and 80tis then thay just disappear from the market
    like HMV PYE

chriss

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

I haven't seen one of these before, but like alot of LCD the SMPS will be in two sections, it will have a main supply and a standby supply on the one board I would be checking the caps in the secondary side of the standby supply.

Another well known brand NEC had issues with one of it's models and crappy caps on the Standby line.

Mick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    I haven't seen one of these before, but like alot of LCD the SMPS will be in two sections, it will have a main supply and a standby supply on the one board I would be checking the caps in the secondary side of the standby supply.

Another well known brand NEC had issues with one of it's models and crappy caps on the Standby line.

Mick
    Thanks - the 4.1V pin is marked "5VSB", which I am assume is for standby. Will replace the caps on this circuit.....thanks!

Rank Arena is now just a house brand for Target I think, trading on the brand image of their earlier days. Mass produced chinese knock-offs, cheap and nasty bits inside it too lol....full of good old CapXon caps lol

Thanks

Default Same model, same/similar problem

Sorry for digging up this thread.
    I'm having a hard time looking for resources for this model let alone the brand.

Mine has gone white but you can still vaguely see some picture, so it's just saturated in white.
    Did re-soldering new caps on the standby circuits fix this?
    I was about to open up my TV and try and find a Tcon board online. (since there's lots of talk about fried Tcon boards)

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Thee_Silent; 19-04-17 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thee_Silent View Post
    Sorry for digging up this thread.
    I'm having a hard time looking for resources for this model let alone the brand.

Mine has gone white but you can still vaguely see some picture, so it's just saturated in white.
    Did re-soldering new caps on the standby circuits fix this?
    I was about to open up my TV and try and find a Tcon board online. (since there's lots of talk about fried Tcon boards)

Any help would be appreciated!
    Don't be afraid to open it up, take some pictures and post them along with any part numbers of boards, panel type. brand etc,etc etc.

This is simply going to be a chinese built badged TV so some of the internals may be common in various other TV models which you may then find more information and common faults.

Not being a LCD dude I have limited knowledge however sound like it may be the T-con or gamma IC. AS15-F is a common chip I've read that fails. Did my first T-con repair replacing that IC on a samsung I think, AUO panel and had washed out image.

Thanks

Yes AS chip is common failure giving white screen. Get from Wagner electronics. Is smd but easy to solder using blanket tech then solderwick.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Blanket tech??

I've never heard of it.

More info. please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Blanket tech??

I've never heard of it.

More info. please.

Two possiblities.

1. It's getting cold , so has the blanket out

2. I'm guessing Blanket Soldering Technique, flooding the pins and dewicking?

• The Following User Says Thank You to tw2005 For This Useful Post:

tristen (24-04-17)

Thanks

Correct! Makes it easy! Hardest part is removing failed chip safely without harming close comps. Safest way is cover said comps with shield so only chip gets HEAT!