Thread: Best way to resecure light fittings

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,964 Times in 1,287 Posts

Default Best way to resecure light fittings

Hi All

I need some advice as to the best way to refit some light fittings.

I am currently in a new rental and some of the batten fix light fittings are not secured to the plaster i tried to tighten the mounting screws with no joy i removed the one screw that was sort of holding it up and found the plaster looks like Swiss cheese. I was thinking of a bit of timber on top of the plaster but that needs 2 people to do.

Any other ideas

SS Dave

Look Here ->
    Thanks

you can get the plastic lugs that screw into the plaster then you screw into them

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (15-04-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Another alternative:
    The arms collapse to fit through the hole then spring apart to give a secure fitting.

Last edited by mandc; 15-04-12 at 07:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (15-04-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks diavalo1233 and mandc

I forgot about the toggle bolt that mandc put up that will work on one but i am still look for any other ideas.

SS Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

You should get the property's owner to fix it really.
    Obviously the sparky has never mounted them properly in the first place.
    They should have had a nogging behind them or have been fixed to the existing batten or truss.
    If the plaster looks like swiss cheese from multiple previous attempts and it is brittle it might not work too well with the 'wallmates' or toggles as they both rely on strength of material around them.
    Looks like you can try the above suggestion (there's not a lot of weight in a batten holder and lightbulb) otherwise there's really no other way around but to have someone help you put some timber behind to screw into.
    Are you sure there's no batten nearby? A studfinder might help.
    Another alternative would be to replace the batten holders with downlights.

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (16-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    You should get the property's owner to fix it really.
    Obviously the sparky has never mounted them properly in the first place.
    They should have had a nogging behind them or have been fixed to the existing batten or truss.
    If the plaster looks like swiss cheese from multiple previous attempts and it is brittle it might not work too well with the 'wallmates' or toggles as they both rely on strength of material around them.
    Looks like you can try the above suggestion (there's not a lot of weight in a batten holder and lightbulb) otherwise there's really no other way around but to have someone help you put some timber behind to screw into.
    Are you sure there's no batten nearby? A studfinder might help.
    Another alternative would be to replace the batten holders with downlights.
    I'm a property owner and I agree. The lights weren't fitted properly if they were only attached to the gyprock and the "swiss cheese" effect backs up your case. Get the owner to fix it asap because it's a hazard.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (16-04-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

It's extremely common for standard batten lampholders to be attached directly to plasterboard.

There are lampholders specifically designed for the purpose which have nylon sleeves like wall plugs attached which are pushed through the holes.

When the screws are tightened, the sleeves spead out behind the plasterboard.

I agree, it's best to have all lightfittings attached to a truss or batten, but in reality, you'll find the majority of standard lampholders fixed directly into the ceiling plasterboard as most homes don't have the extra timber/steel exactly where the fittings are required to be mounted.

In your case, where it seems multiple attempts have been made to fix the fitting to the ceiling (multiple holes) the plasterboard is likely to be very weak in that location, so the best thing would be to fit a supporting batten behind the fitting.

As mentioned, this work should be up to the owner/agent to arrange with a licensed electrician.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

officemanager (19-04-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

IF it was my place, I would consider getting a piece of pineboard or similar at least 5mm thick and cut it in a circle at least DOUBLE the size of the base of the fitting MTV has shown and nicely round edge of the circle and with a hole through the middle for the wires to come through.
    Then coat with an adhesive and apply it to the ceiling. Depending on the condition of the plaster board you could predrill through this mount for suitable screws to go through it into the plasterboard, use those expanding toggle types even for added strength.
    Give it a nice coat of paint to match the ceiling and when dry reattatch the light fitting and it should last a year or 5.

BUT as a rental, call the agents and either they arrange repairs or you will call an electrician and send them the bill.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (16-04-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I would like to thank all of you.

I am thinking of fixing it myself as it seams to hard for the agent to organize.

I asked via email as was told was the best form of contact if i could get sensor lights fitted at my expense 5 weeks later i sent a 2nd email (that took 5 days to reply to) and got a response who is going to fit them?

I would thought at my expense would mean i was paying some one to do the job (i have a sparky customer that would supervise me if i wanted to do the job my self or do the job at a very good price to me as he owes me a favor or 2)

As i won't be disconnecting any of the wires just sliding a u shaped bit of timber over the top of the light fitting on the roof side of the plaster and re screwing it to the ceiling.

I am just going to do it and the agent can deal with it.

I don't see what i want to do as a mod just a improvement.

Watts better that the 8 network points in the lounge room with 3 single power points fox iq and a fta outlet connected to a antenna that's not right for this location and facing 90 degrease off must have been power board city here.

SS Dave

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

SS Dave
    and a fta outlet connected to a antenna that's not right for this location and facing 90 degrease off
    You think thats bad? here in my town the Catholic school has just had a brand new hall completed and whooever installed the larger than life UHF antenna has pointed it towards a Microwave tower 90 degrees away from the TV translator.
    Now blind Freddy could see it is a Microwave tower and all the houses around the school have their TV antennas pointing to the correct one, both about 500 metres from the school makes you wonder doesnt it.

As for getting the agent to fix anything in the future, I would tell them that the next time a problem occurs unless its Life threatening and causes hurt or harm which you will be seeking recompence for like Funeral Expenses, anything else you will just ignore and after making sure your own property is secure, it can do whatever damage it likes to the property and they can explain to the owner why its in the condition its in.
    Just so long as you get your Bond back when you leave.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-04-12 at 07:17 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

The plastic lampholder is designed to fix to plaster quite adequately, only problem is the inexperienced wannabe electricians playing with them.
    Tell your landlord /owner or agent to get them fixed properly, you do have consumer rights otherwise get it fixed and bill the owner.
    You do have consumer affairs for these matters.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
    The plastic lampholder is designed to fix to plaster quite adequately, only problem is the inexperienced wannabe electricians playing with them.
    Just the battenholder, yes. But there are a myriad of lampshades that can be fitted to these battenholders and some of them can add a fair bit of weight.
    It is not really good practice to just rely on the plasterboard to support this weight, especially since it's already weakened by the hole to allow the wires through. And they are not callled battenholders for nothing.

Thanks

Yes I agree with you 100% then again common sense comes into play.....

I personally would have the light fitting changed to accommodate the the new light fixture especially if it has more weight. (I'm talking from experience as an electrician)
    I can guarantee 90% houses constructed these days would have these fittings & will be stuck on the plaster as intended not like the old houses where they would be screwed to battens or other forms of solid support.
    Just for your info there is two types of batten holders available, one for plaster & the other to be screwed through plaster to timber support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    IF it was my place, I would consider getting a piece of pineboard or similar at least 5mm thick and cut it in a circle at least DOUBLE the size of the base of the fitting MTV has shown and nicely round edge of the circle and with a hole through the middle for the wires to come through.
    Then coat with an adhesive and apply it to the ceiling. Depending on the condition of the plaster board you could predrill through this mount for suitable screws to go through it into the plasterboard, use those expanding toggle types even for added strength.
    Give it a nice coat of paint to match the ceiling and when dry reattatch the light fitting and it should last a year or 5.

BUT as a rental, call the agents and either they arrange repairs or you will call an electrician and send them the bill.
    You might want to check your Tennancy Agreement before doing this. In the agreement my tenants have, they have to go thorough the property manager who then contacts me, or they have to pay the bill themselves. And if the job is shoddy, they are up for repairs to redo it as well. At the end of the day, the property manager is responsible for arranging any repairs and if they are slack about it a call to Fair Trading will usually get results.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

officemanager (27-04-12)