Thread: Washing Machine Problems

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Washing Machine Problems

It was not enough to have a bathroom flex house explode on me last week. Tonight our washing machine has decided to play up

After another verbal slinging match with the missus I have come to the conclusion that as the machine is definitely more than 10 years old (maybe 15) and it is not worth having it repaired

It seems the cold water intake solenoids have given up. I am not sure if some other problems e.g. computer or motor is reacting to the problem or also about to fail

I tried to be a smarty pants and swap the hot and cold hoses around (we mainly use cold water washes) based on one solenoid being faulty ... this was not much better.

I figure to get some one in plus parts would be at least $200 ... looking a complete new machine would be $800 tops

The current machine is a Fisher&Paykel 708 7.5 kg

Has anyone had this problem and or what do you reckon we should do here?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I had a washing machine fail and i figured it was a couple of hundred to fix a 10+ yo machine. I bought a 6kg Simpson or something for $600 and going by their past performace should be good for at least another 10 yrs.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Replace the washing machine, you will get a brand new washing machine (mrs will be happy) and you will get a warranty rather than just a warranty on the repair or spare parts. Replace your easy hookers with the stainless steel ones not the plastic ones if possible.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

We am on our 2nd F & Paykel now, both 8kg models or whatever and when they have a major problem they 'BEEP' and the lights flash in a sequence that gives a tech a clue as to the fault.
    When the first one failed after many very hard years it was quoted at $300 + approximately to fix, water level sensors or something were stuffed on the mother board
    I hmm'd and errreded but decided to go new and be done with it.
    Actualy it was $50 cheaper than when I bought the first one.
    With that solenoid, you might be able to swap them around if like us you rarely use Hot Water wash.
    The only other problem I had with the first one was the water pump had to be replaced.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

When you swap the hoses,dont forget to swap the wires on the solenoids,or change you program to cold.I've done it before.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

johnwinger (22-05-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just some feedback - I replaced the washing machine ... cost me $665 for another F & P 8kg instead of the old 7.5 kg

All good, but I feel bad that the old machine probably still had some life in it after a couple of solenoid changes

This is life... thanks for all the replies

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I kept our old machine for months with the good intentions of canabilising it and a friends similar model to see if we could get a working machine but like many 'Good Intentions', the idea was greater than the will so eventually it went to Washing machine heaven.

I would be very surprised indeed if the motor coils were still there 12 hours later.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

why by another cheaply made domestic machine ?

for around $1800 you can buy a maytag or speed queen commercial washer which will last you forever.....

or for half that you can get a whirpool, which are made in the same factory as maytag....

stay away from the maytags for sale in harvey norman etc, they are domestic models blinged up with flashing lights etc.

the basic commercial modes with the plain twist knob are the ones to get...
    Last edited by hoe; 31-05-12 at 11:55 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

johnwinger (02-06-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    why by another cheaply made domestic machine ?

for around $1800 you can buy a maytag or speed queen commercial washer which will last you forever.....

or for half that you can get a whirpool, which are made in the same factory as maytag....

stay away from the maytags for sale in harvey norman etc, they are domestic models blinged up with flashing lights etc.

the basic commercial modes with the plain twist knob are the ones to get...
    Thanks Hoe

I have already bought the new machine. If it decides to give me trouble in the future I will look at a mytag or a Whirlpool etc

On average we are getting 10 to 15 yrs service out of each one which we are OK with anyway