Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchase liquid mercury

Thanks

Default purchase liquid mercury

Hi,any clue to purchase 10g+ of liquid mercury? for a quick gold refine,clean up job on some gold in black sands,gold panning endevours?this is to amalgum the gold and camoise the result and reclaim.Yes save me the hazourdous an msd ,handling and data sheet stuff? we all know its specially dangerous for many known reasons.
    Yes can supply a legit ABN for buisness to purchase.and Toll carrier for Haz. goods account No.
    Just some of you great guys may have borrowed some of the School supplies in earlier years,an have a small container left over from youthfull endevour an experiment to get rid of for a bit of cash reward?
    PM if this is the case? else
    anybody else with usefull knowledge just chim in.
    Else may just have to order couple doz. mercury tilt switch from elec. suppliers and salvage the contents etc.?
    cheers!
    Er?yeh know its sold by weight an not volume..

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

trash might know

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Mercury is only liquid!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rickove View Post
    Hi,any clue to purchase 10g+ of liquid mercury? for a quick gold refine,clean up job on some gold in black sands,gold panning endevours?this is to amalgum the gold and camoise the result and reclaim.Yes save me the hazourdous an msd ,handling and data sheet stuff? we all know its specially dangerous for many known reasons.
    Yes can supply a legit ABN for buisness to purchase.and Toll carrier for Haz. goods account No.
    Just some of you great guys may have borrowed some of the School supplies in earlier years,an have a small container left over from youthfull endevour an experiment to get rid of for a bit of cash reward?
    PM if this is the case? else
    anybody else with usefull knowledge just chim in.
    Else may just have to order couple doz. mercury tilt switch from elec. suppliers and salvage the contents etc.?
    cheers!
    Er?yeh know its sold by weight an not volume..
    Mercury is 13.534 grams / cubic centimeter.
    Just about any old thermometer or switch would hold 10 grams.

Last edited by beer4life; 23-05-12 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Correction.

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

What are you going to do with your findings, ie the gold

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

When I was in high school, we used to roll this stuff around in our hands.
    Could explain a lot about my current mental state.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Id start busting thermometers and collecting it.

Thanks

wow must be some ultra fine gold if you need chemicals to extra it from your dirt

Tagg

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    Mercury is an accumulative poison absorbed through the skin and breathing I believe and from what I read is where the expression 'As Mad as a Hatter' originated from because of the exposure to Mercury, it caused those working in the Hat making industry in the 1800's to loose their Sanity and in some cases, their life.
    I dont think I would like to try it but the volume here even if swallowed at once wouldnt do more than make the odd unwanted appendge droop or is that Brewed grains?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Try some places in the Mt that may deal in fire pump systems, like chub. our fire pump pressure switches are huge and a couple of them would give you what you need.

Thanks

Someone in the east end of the Mount would be able to help you out? lol

I cannot think of any place in the mount that would possibly have this, maybe one of the mills has something floating around that contains mercury? Have you tried GTE?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    trash might know
    Of course trash knows. It's not like I don't collect and keep as much as I can get my grubby little mits on. I've even given some to a friend for this exact same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    Metalic Mercury isn't as hazardous as you might think.
    It's not easily taken up by the body and while you wouldn't ingest it, not much of it would be absorbed if you did.
    What is more hazardous is Oxides of Mercury or Mercuric Salts.
    These are easily absorbed into the body and of course the effects of Mercury poisoning are cumulative.
    Yes, Milliners (hatters) did slowly go crazy from Mercury poisoning because they used mercury in the process of making felt.

I wear rubber gloves when I work with mercury and I'm very careful not to come in contact with it or the used gloves.
    I'm more cautious about handling mercury than I am radioactive material.

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    wow must be some ultra fine gold if you need chemicals to extra it from your dirt
    Not exactly. But Mercury is probably the safest choice.
    A bit of Royal Water (aqua regia) is hazardous to work with.
    It's a mixture of nitric and hydrochloric acids.
    The other chemical that can be used is Cyanides.

Both make metallic mercury look safe enough to drink

I'd send you some rick, the problem is how to get it to you.
    It doesn't post well. There is another reason, I call "The Prime Directive".
    Yes, Star Trek; I'd rather not give some lower lifeforms higher technology.
    Edit: sorry, that doesn't sound right. I'm referring to giving ideas to other people looking for trouble.

Anyhow... collecting it.
    Thermometers don't have a lot in them. But if you find them cheap enough, then bust them open in a plastic bucket.

Cinnabar is another source. It's the most common mineral of mercury.
    If you can get cheap enough.

Mercury switches are cheaper. They're only small, but there is more mercury in one of those and they're cheaper.

Mercury valves (diodes) have some in them too.

Mercury wetted relays often have about three to five times as much as mercury switches depending on the size of the relay.

Mercury timers are a good source. If you can find them. They have about 10mL in them.

The best source of liquid mercury can be found in a special type of electronic valve called an ignitron.
    They're not too common, but they aren't impossible to find on ebay.
    The only issue might be shipping them.
    Last edited by trash; 23-05-12 at 09:30 PM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

anyone (24-05-12),johnwinger (23-05-12),LeroyPatrol (28-02-13),rickove (24-05-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Give Ed a call (Aussie50) at Edsystems. He has some in his Hazmat box.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

This might be the safest way to separate the Black sand.

As far as I'm aware Black sand typically is a mix of magnetite and hematite.

A normal magnet will pick up magnetite, but if hematite is also in the mix, you'll need a big Rare Earth magnet because hematite is only slightly magnetic.

Mick

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

rickove (24-05-12)

Thanks

Wow!thank for all the replys,I got some now.
    Of one of the guys here local in the Gold prospecting/detector club.
    Even showed me how they use it to amalgum the fine gold and recover the mercury after to reuse.its a bit more than i thought.and gotta be handled just so.the mercury vapours when later retorted and condensed is the killer!
    Your right about the magnet trick it sucks the magnetic minerals out an looks like I got a large golf ball size lump stuck to the neo magnet,and more.Beut!
    Thank You.

Thanks

Talking What to do in your idle moments.

Quote Originally Posted by rickove View Post
    Wow!thank for all the replys,I got some now.
    Of one of the guys here local in the Gold prospecting/detector club.
    Even showed me how they use it to amalgum the fine gold and recover the mercury after to reuse.its a bit more than i thought.and gotta be handled just so.the mercury vapours when later retorted and condensed is the killer!
    Your right about the magnet trick it sucks the magnetic minerals out an looks like I got a large golf ball size lump stuck to the neo magnet,and more.Beut!
    Thank You.

G'Day Cobber.
    That stuff sticking to the magnet, not gold.
    Here is a very informative overall article.

By the way, that 20 to 40 pounds of black sand typically yields around 2 or 3 pennyweight of fine gold, an amount well worth my time and effort.

1 pennyweight = 1.55517384 grams

An excerpt directly related to your endeavors.

The next step requires a very strong magnet – you will need one of the new rare earth super magnets, and a good sized one with about 50 pounds or more of pull. Now your normal horseshoe magnet made of iron alloys simply will not do for this. The magnets sold by the most of the major prospecting shops to separate out black sands will not do. Those old style magnets will pick up magnetite, but not hematite. The new powerful rare earth super magnets are necessary because they will pick up the hematite, which is only very slightly magnetic. The old magnets will pick up around half of the black sand, but the super magnets will remove more than 95% of it – and that makes a big difference! These magnets are so strong that you need to be careful – you can get your fingers pinched and smacked as these super powerful magnets attract steel objects from surprising distances and with great speed. Put the concentrates in a plastic pan with about an inch or two of water – and spread them out into a thin, even layer. Carefully pass the magnet over the black sand from about a half inch above the black sand concentrates. On this first pass, do not touch or stir the concentrates with the magnet. The trick is to make the magnetite and hematite jump up through the water to the magnet leaving the gold behind. Remove the black sand that sticks to the magnet and repeat. Eventually, when nearly all the magnetic minerals are removed, you can stir the magnet through the remaining sand in order to pick up as much of the material as possible. This is the part of the process where you need to examine the material on the magnet very closely as a few particles of gold may be attached to magnetite and stick to the magnet. Repeat the process until no more magnetic minerals can be removed. You can examine the material you removed in the last part of the process with a magnifying glass to see how well you did. Remember a few tiny specs of gold may only be less than a dime’s worth, so there is no great need to worry too much about them. This process is done separately for both the 30+ mesh size and the –30 mesh size. The next step is to dry both fractions separately. . After removal of all magnetic minerals, only a few items normally remain. Gold, a few bits of lead, a garnet crystal or two, etc. , may remain in the 30+ mesh size. This fraction is easily sorted with your fingers when dry on a white sheet of paper. The trash is discarded and the gold (plus any other valuables like platinum pieces) are saved. The smaller fraction may have some non-magnetic black sand (commonly Chromite in many parts of California) and some grey-white heavy sand of a very fine size (commonly Zircon). When dry these can also be separated on a white sheet of paper – I normally use two sheets and with a little careful blowing on these smaller final concentrates. With care and a little effort, using this technique you can produce a clean gold product ready for sale or shipment to a refiner. By the way, that 20 to 40 pounds of black sand typically yields around 2 or 3 pennyweight of fine gold, an amount well worth my time and effort.There are of course, a number of ways to go about doing this final cleanup. Some folks use mercury to get the small gold. I have done this in the past, but with the advent of the super magnet and the method outlined above, in my opinion, mercury is simply no longer necessary for the individual prospector. I like to stay away from the use of mercury, because the regulatory agencies go so crazy about it. All in all, it is faster not to use it. There are spiral panning wheels, micro sluices, tables and other devices for final clean up, they can do the job and all have their proponents, but I use a blue bowl, mostly because it is cheap and it works.
    That'll keep you off the nest for a while!

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Last edited by beer4life; 24-05-12 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

Pardon me!
    Last edited by beer4life; 28-02-13 at 08:47 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Yep and you can remove it yourself. Its a pain enough as it is deleting spam without people quoting it.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Re: obtaining a small amount of mercury. Mercury float switches used in mining and marine pumping control, have several grams of mercury in them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yes, I get handed them from time to time.
    I just gave away one of my containers of mercury I'd be holding on to. An ignitron I had been saving only for the mercury, the local powerhouse museum had a collection of really cool mercury rectifiers.
    One of them has several kilograms of mercury. So I offered them the ignitron which cause me great pain, but it's for the good of science and shameless promotion of the local ham radio club.
    I'm sure karma will pay it back as people sometimes hand me mercury tilt switches and delay timers. They're too painful to break open too just for their mercury. So I keep them safe in reserve.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast