Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noobish Q: Getting Foxtel IQHD content to PC HD transferred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    You'll need one heck of a beast of a PC to software encode 1080i50/p25 real time MPEG-4 AVC without frame drops and maintain good picture quality.
    I dobut what I have would be 'insufficient'. I'll PM you my specs and if you have the know-how, i'd really appreciate yur help with the conversion.

Thanks for the info on frame rate/refresh rates. I changed IQHD output to "pass through" instead of 1080i on the foxtel box...though i find it interesting; with interlace vs progressive; i've been told and read in most places that 1080p offers much better 'viewing pleasure' in particular for fast moving HD video such as sports; yet watching 1080i output on IQHD is in my opinion; brilliant...not sure why it "seems like" the fps in the captured video almost seems like its cit in half...

Im still experimenting with different kinds of recording formats and changing the advanced options (as listed a few posts above), when recording.

Whats the best place (other than usenet), to upload a full HD video without the uploading host/site auto-changing the quality/size of the video like most hosts do?

Just confirming; IQHD, say FoxFooty, has 1080i / 50Hz / 25fps output?

Thanks

Just confirming; IQHD, say FoxFooty, has 1080i / 50Hz / 25fps output?
    Fox Footy is 1080i50/25fps, but other programs are in 720p (e.g. ESPN HD)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpchia View Post
    Fox Footy is 1080i50/25fps, but other programs are in 720p (e.g. ESPN HD)
    OK great, thanks. I have no interest in converting any video from my IQHD other than what has already been recorded in 1080i/50/25fps

Have a look at this

Any tech spec details and user guide info dont clearly stipulate the FPS it records in, other than saying "input video 1920x1080 25p > caputured 1920x1080 25p". See if you can read into this more than what I can...

Thanks

Other than setting up FTP, whats the best way to upload the HD video i have without any form of editing or compression from the upping host? Anytihng i've uploaded and played back looks aweful when hosted...

Thanks

Any tech spec details and user guide info dont clearly stipulate the FPS it records in, other than saying "input video 1920x1080 25p > caputured 1920x1080 25p". See if you can read into this more than what I can...
    1080i and 720p are captured at their native rate, therefore there is no deinterlacing applied. Don't worry about the FPS, but to explain:
    1080i is made up of 50 interlaced frames per second: when displayed on an LCD monitor or TV or plasma TV, either the source component (IQHD, PC, etc) or the display must deinterlace this (ie blend the 2 frames together with varying degrees of accuracy depending on the method/hardware) to 25 progressive frames.
    720p is made up of 25 progressive frames per second, no deinterlacing required to display it.
    You want the best part of your playback chain to do the deinterlacing of your 1080i material. This depends: sometimes a high end graphics card will do a better job than a display, but some high end displays will deinterlace better than your PC. On the PC you can test this by sending 1080i vs 1080p to your display and see which looks better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpchia View Post
    1080i and 720p are captured at their native rate, therefore there is no deinterlacing applied. Don't worry about the FPS, but to explain:
    1080i is made up of 50 interlaced frames per second: when displayed on an LCD monitor or TV or plasma TV, either the source component (IQHD, PC, etc) or the display must deinterlace this (ie blend the 2 frames together with varying degrees of accuracy depending on the method/hardware) to 25 progressive frames.
    720p is made up of 25 progressive frames per second, no deinterlacing required to display it.
    You want the best part of your playback chain to do the deinterlacing of your 1080i material. This depends: sometimes a high end graphics card will do a better job than a display, but some high end displays will deinterlace better than your PC. On the PC you can test this by sending 1080i vs 1080p to your display and see which looks better.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Well in this case i can't send 1080p to my PC/capture card, as the 1080 outout by foxtel is 1080i only.

Any suggestion on earlier question re: best host/upper to upload a video that remains completely unmodified from the original file?

RoOSTA

Thanks

What I meant was once you have captured the 1080i video on your PC, you can choose what resolution and refresh rate you send to your display. For example, most video cards you can choose 1080i and 1080p output (choose 50Hz as refresh rate if your content is 50Hz, which Foxtel is). This means if you send 1080i from your PC, your TV will deinterlace, if you send 1080p your PC will deinterlace. You can test by sight which does the better job.

Not sure about the hosting site question, is the 2GB free on Dropbox sufficient? Others include sugar sync, iCloud...megaupload, rapidshare...

Thanks

I finally got around to uploading samples i recorded earlier in June.

What do you guys think? Looks like it plays back better on my laptop than it does on my more-powerful desktop PC with the capture card i have mentioned in previous posts...Perhaps its something to do with the TV display using "PC" connection...I like how its turned out - everyone elses thoughts?
    Last edited by roosta; 12-07-12 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks

Hey roosta quick question. Is your IQ box still connected to the sat dish or disconnected.

Mine is disconnected. got it working through the colossus but won't let me go into the planner. keeps searching for signal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    You'll need one heck of a beast of a PC to software encode 1080i50/p25 real time MPEG-4 AVC without frame drops and maintain good picture quality.
    Search "HD-PVR"

Thanks

Hey roosta,

Just a quick question on your panasonic dvd recorder obviously its got input of red, white, yellow. Ive been looking for a dvdr though brought a pvr thinking it would work the same for foxtel yet had no inputs except coax f type input and the rest outputs which couldnt help me

Anyways where and what price did you pick thst dvd recorder from

Cheers

Thanks

Hey roosta,

Just a quick question on your panasonic dvd recorder obviously its got input of red, white, yellow. Ive been looking for a dvdr though brought a pvr thinking it would work the same for foxtel yet had no inputs except coax f type input and the rest outputs which couldnt help me

Anyways where and what price did you pick thst dvd recorder from

Cheers

Thanks

Default Foxtel no signal loss over Component

I don't understand why roosta insisted on HDMI with HDCP strippers to record from Foxtel, stating the reason "no quality loss as HDMI does 1080p" implying that a 1080i Component connection incurs quality loss. Yet he also states that he is aware that Foxtel only outputs 1080i at a maximum and mostly 720p. So whether using a Component or HDMI connection from a Foxtel box will have zero quality difference. Therefore instead of a HDCP stripper and HDMI recorder, why not just use a Component recorder?

Also, it seems to be a common misconception that 1080i is a higher quality than 720p. 1080p refreshes 1080 lines per second, and 720p refreshes 720 lines per second, but 1080i only refreshes 540 lines per second. Therefore 1080i in terms of quality comparison is really only equal to 540p, so on Foxtel 720p is really the best output you can get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCheese View Post
    Yet he also states that he is aware that Foxtel only outputs 1080i at a maximum and mostly 720p.
    I doubt this is accurate, there's likely to be some 1080p content.
    Source for your certainty that it never gets better than 720p?

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12