Thread: Securidial 1345 Numbers

Thanks

Default Securidial 1345 Numbers

My question relates 1345 numbers. In particular do 1345 numbers receive any priority if the Telstra network is congested and are their any insurance considerations if 1345 numbers aren't used for monitoring?
    With most call plans now having free or included calls to local/national numbers except 13 numbers I have some clients requesting to use local numbers instead and want to make sure that I give them good advice on the pros & cons of 1345 vs local numbers.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

PSTN lines have significant limitations regardless of whether they are 13xx or local calls.

If there is a break in the line anywhere between the client and the monitoring station, including street wiring, pillars, exchanges etc. it's game over.

Securidial services offer some useful maintenance privileges at the monitoring centre end (i.e. when their inbound lines stop functioning at an unfriendly hour) however this doesn't extend to client premises. There have always been myths about 'higher quality service' etc. or the ability to redirect traffic, but this was usually smoke and mirrors to distract from the real benefit to security companies: Rebates and revenue sharing on calls to those numbers.

If the call costs are an issue, suggest they stop incurring them and move towards IP monitoring.

Thanks

Unsure if they receive any priority thru the Telstra network

BUT....

the way a 1345 number works is it is linked to multiple local numbers on a rotary type system, where if the first local number is already handling a call then the 1345 directs to another local number and so on and so on, depending on how many local lines for that receiver your monitoring provider has connected (could be 5, could be 20 per 1345 number). if the alarm panel can't get through on any of those local lines attached to the primary receiver 1345 number it then moves on to the secondary 1345 number, dependent on the number of attempts you have set.

If you program in just one primary local number, your control panel is going to repeatedly attempt just one local number until it gets thru or throws up a comms fault at the panel end when it just cannot get through!

1345 is definitely the best option when you're staying with a dialler set-up. If they're worried about call costs get them to go to GPRS or IP monitoring!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlarmGuy View Post
    If you program in just one primary local number, your control panel is going to repeatedly attempt just one local number until it gets thru or throws up a comms fault at the panel end when it just cannot get through!
    This is not necessarily accurate. It is quite possible for hunt-groups to be configured downstream e.g. via a PABX or other gateway device on (say) an ISDN service. The receiving party can control inbound calls, hunt-groups, diversions, failovers etc. OR they can have Telstra do it (or both).

The 'secondary' number in a lot of alarm panels is a historical relic and in many cases no longer required, provided the central station's setup is well designed. That's a different story.

Thanks

I was thinking about making the primary a local number and the secondary a 1345 number. Anyone ever heard of any insurance implications?
    Unfortunately the reason this happens is clients are being more tight-fisted than usual.

Thanks

Default .

1345 numbers are a funny thing. The main thing is that the company receives a "kick back" from each call.

Also, 1345 numbers are a front facing number to a local receiver number. When the local number goes offline .. the network has the ability to point that call to a different receiver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PANDATECH View Post
    I was thinking about making the primary a local number and the secondary a 1345 number. Anyone ever heard of any insurance implications?
    Unfortunately the reason this happens is clients are being more tight-fisted than usual.
    I cannot think of any insurance implications whatsoever. There is nothing in standards which requires a 1345 number or 'special' PSTN service. The only thing insurers would require is AS2201 compliance suitable to the risk-rating.

Thanks

Your security control room should also have the 1345 # in rotary with some GSM backups.
    You can sent up hunt groups but it costs more than the 1345 number will.
    I would never suggest that a local number can be used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kneebo View Post
    Your security control room should also have the 1345 # in rotary with some GSM backups.
    Why? What if they have an alternate monitoring site? What if they have receivers located elsewhere which can be fed back to the via IP?

You can sent up hunt groups but it costs more than the 1345 number will.
    There are many ways to skin a cat.

Anyway, I always chuckle at discussions around redundancy of PSTN lines. Give me an Optic Fibre primary datalink, Microwave secondary, ADSL tertiary, carrier independence and good system monitoring, rather than a 'fully redundant' PSTN kludge which can still be brought to a screaming halt by a pair of scissors at the client end.

Thanks

We could go on all day about what we should do ect....IP reporting with "insert backup here" as a secondary however PSTN is still 90% of peoples way of reporting.
    Will that change anytime soon? nope. NBN by rights wont even stop it in their theory.

The offsite monitoring may very well then travel to another control room in the event of catastrophic failure but every control room I have seen has GSM backups.
    Yes we all know that all it will take is a simultaneous attack on the Providers towers and the digging of a trench.

I mean you need to be realistic here for the average client. I am not talking about your grade 1A clients here; your chicken shop on the corner with ma and pa doing their own responses are they going to pay for IP reporting right now? even if all they need is a module bolted to the side of their EDM 908 and a connection to their existing ADSL connection. They wont go for it. Its more money.

Thanks

1345 give the control room the ability to move the numbers in emergency situations... plus all of the above.
    A domestic should be making a weekly or bi weekly test report, if a client is bickering over 2 calls a week they arent worth having.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keef82 For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (10-06-12),intelliGEORGE (09-06-12),TheAlarmGuy (10-06-12)

Thanks

Control Rooms do get a kickback form 1345 numbers. Therefore they will generally charge more for monitoring via other numbers. Swings vs. Roundabouts, the service (operators, equipment, real estate, running costs) has to be paid for somehow. Beware of ultracheap monitoring, you usually get no more than you pay for, though if you don't watch it you can get less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
    Beware of ultra cheap monitoring, you usually get no more than you pay for, though if you don't watch it you can get less.
    Fixed that for you.

I remember with distaste the case before the ACCC some years ago by a security business which decided to reprogram their domestic customers' alarm panels to start sending open/close signals as well as test reports, and had the breathtaking audacity to call it an 'upgrade' and charge customers a 'reprogramming fee'. ACCC report .
    Last edited by downunderdan; 10-06-12 at 10:09 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

PANDATECH (10-06-12),Tastech (10-06-12),TheAlarmGuy (10-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Fixed that for you.

I remember with distaste the case before the ACCC some years ago by a security business which decided to reprogram their domestic customers' alarm panels to start sending open/close signals as well as test reports, and had the breathtaking audacity to call it an 'upgrade' and charge customers a 'reprogramming fee'. ACCC report .

I have heard of a company offering extremely cheap monitoring... The "techs" program in daily test, open closes on a residential system but they do not advise client until when/if the client calls asking what the 1345 number is on their phone bill... they then charge a service call out to change it to weekly tests and no open closes if the client wants it changed. They get away with having it this way by putting it in the monitoring agreement, which most clients sign without reading properly!

Some of the companies out there are pretty horrible to their clients! You have to wonder how these dodgy people pass their security licence clearances... probably just haven't been caught yet.

Thanks

There are some things where a bargain isn't such a bargain. Nobody would ever look for the cheapest doctor they can find, so I can't understand why people look for the cheapest possible way to look after their family. This in turn affects others' ability to raise prices and so it goes...

Thanks

From what I have been told about 1345 numbers thay are a priority service, if all of the exchanges pstn services are in use than the pstn call that has been in use the longest at the exchange will be disconnected allowing the 1345 number to communicate and a 000 call will just disconnect any pstn at the exchange if all its services are in use as it has the highest priority.

Thanks

There is an amazing amount of mythology like that. The only 'priority' is that like a number of commercial services, a service level agreement can be in place which means Telstra are more likely to respond to a Securidial owner (i.e the monitoring station at the receiving end) than an ordinary punter. If an exchange is completely in use however, it's game-over for any subsequent calls. GSM networks have the potential for signalling which allows calls to 112 (the international emergency number which in Australia would divert to 000) to terminate calls and free up a channel, but that's it. Even then, it's not always implemented and the only consistent behaviour is that 112 will work when a handset is locked, you are out of credit, or can only connect to another network (e.g. .a Telstra user can dial 112 and his call will go through on Optus even though no other call would).

There are a number of resellers of 1345 services who do not have the same cachet as Telstra but they are popular because they'll pay a few extra cents per call.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 11-06-12 at 02:29 PM.