Thread: Direct Wireless

Thanks

Default Direct Wireless

Hi Guys,

I have a ness d8 system with Direct wireless. Last night we had a power cut and the system registered a dialler communication faulire (the alarm didn't report low power trouble)

Dialler communication failure happens maybe one a month. What might be causing it?

Also, im looking at changing over to IP monitoring. Obviously the modem needs constant power connection. Would i be able to wire the 12v power supply for the modem through the panels 12v output? This way my modem will remain on through the panels battery backup in the event of a power loss?
    Last edited by constructivearp; 11-06-12 at 11:00 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by constructivearp View Post
    Obviously the modem needs constant power connection. Would i be able to wire the 12v power supply for the modem through the panels 12v output? This way my modem will remain on through the panels battery backup in the event of a power loss?
    Install a UPS for your modem/router. Less hassle.

Thanks

This is one reason I am not keen on IP monitoring for a domestic house. Businesses can claim the extra cost of multi path monitoring,

Thanks

Default IP

I'm trying to cut down the the number of devices i need.

So far i will be using a SPA3102 Voip Adaptor with Custom Firmware
    My ADSL 2 Modem

Can these both be wired into the 12V output of the panel without any problems?

Thanks

Can these both be wired into the 12V output of the panel without any problems?
    That will depend on the current draw of all your detection devices + Modem + Linksys ATA.

Chances are, you won't have enough current supplied by the alarm panel hence my earlier comment... Install a UPS for the comms gear to save the hassle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    This is one reason I am not keen on IP monitoring for a domestic house. Businesses can claim the extra cost of multi path monitoring,
    People's families live in homes and have security issues well beyond many businesses whose assets are completely replaceable.

So I'm sorry, but that would have to be one of the worst arguments against IP monitoring I have ever heard.

If you have a dual-path IP platform even if your Internet goes down (which can and does happen) you are still monitored. A UPS can be had for about $80-90 these days and I would tell anyone to have one on their home computer, stereo, router etc.

Whereas PSTN lines can be cut with a pair of scissors. When that happens, it's game over. Not to mention line rental costs, call charges etc. Cheap monitoring ain't so cheap...

Thanks

I have a ness d8 system with Direct wireless. Last night we had a power cut and the system registered a dialler communication faulire (the alarm didn't report low power trouble)

Dialler communication failure happens maybe one a month. What might be causing it?

Also, im looking at changing over to IP monitoring
    Direct Wireless is an IP Monitoring product. Are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks

I currently have Direct Wireless with the company i used to work for, i am looking at cancelling this product and moving an an "interactive" monitoring Provider.

In essence, you connect a VOIP ATA to the internet and it will transmit signals over IP. The modem i am getting with also incorporates a 3G failover connection in-case the phone line/ADSL goes down.

I like this form of monitoring, it will send me an email, automated phone call, SMS or live operator response depending on what i choose.

I can also login any time to change response instructions, zones ect ect.

Thanks

I currently have Direct Wireless with the company i used to work for, i am looking at cancelling this product and moving an an "interactive" monitoring Provider.

In essence, you connect a VOIP ATA to the internet and it will transmit signals over IP. The modem i am getting with also incorporates a 3G failover connection in-case the phone line/ADSL goes down.

I like this form of monitoring, it will send me an email, automated phone call, SMS or live operator response depending on what i choose.

I can also login any time to change response instructions, zones ect ect.
    So you're going from a certified product designed for its purpose to an uncertified hacked linksys ATA and call this "interactive"?

Most monitoring centres already provide these "interactive" services. You can have video verification, virtual guard tours, login to your account and change response instructions, view alarm history etc.

The only thing I can see you doing here is moving backwards.

If you're serious about security, stick with products that are purpose built and proven to work.

An ATA with codec tweaks isn't exactly purpose-built. I personally wouldn't even use an ATA for a fax machine let alone use it to protect my property.

No offense, but this thread smells of Thailand. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the work of the Nutt.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

bss904 (13-06-12),Privatteer (14-06-12),webtech (18-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    People's families live in homes and have security issues well beyond many businesses whose assets are completely replaceable.

So I'm sorry, but that would have to be one of the worst arguments against IP monitoring I have ever heard.

If you have a dual-path IP platform even if your Internet goes down (which can and does happen) you are still monitored. A UPS can be had for about $80-90 these days and I would tell anyone to have one on their home computer, stereo, router etc.

Whereas PSTN lines can be cut with a pair of scissors. When that happens, it's game over. Not to mention line rental costs, call charges etc. Cheap monitoring ain't so cheap...
    It was not my only argument, and not one to start a discussion on the pros and cons, merely a passing comment on personal view with respect to IP monitoring and then trying to hack a system to get it to work.

Personally in the past I have always found home owners more likely to spend money on a business, than the own home, until something happens, then it is a different story.

I was always gob smacked that people spend $350 000 odd on a house and then complain about an alarm costing $1500 to protect the family,

Thanks

So, "the work of nutt" Please explain?

Thanks

So, "the work of nutt" Please explain?