Thread: Direct Wireless

Thanks

Default Direct Wireless

I have a ness D8 system with Direct Wireless.

There is currently a comms failure on the panel. When the panel dials out the signal is being sent, and acknowledged by the CMS but the dialler fault remains.

Also, is there a "hard reset" procedure on the DW unit, or anyway to tell if it's faulty?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

yeah its called an offline signal. !!! if you have known offline signal then you can ask the base station is it polling. if its not polling it will show in the the not polling window. its really not that hard!!.
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 28-06-12 at 12:33 AM. Reason: grammer

Thanks

If your base station doesnt know how to read there software then find one that does

Thanks

actually from memory i believe its called the lost sIgnal window!!! which makes your statement worse for the base station.

Thanks

I think you'll actually find it called a Poll Failure controlroom op. I wasn't actually asking about my signals at the bast station.

I was more referring to why this would be happening at the alarm system's side.

Read people's posts. It's not that hard!!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to constructivearp For This Useful Post:

controlroom Op (28-06-12)

Thanks

oKay from a controlroom prospective we see what we see. As you know. no there is no hard refresh button. but that does not mean what you see at the present time is not the real situation. it updates itself depending on the polling plan. This may take 2 polling sessions. so if its 120 sec give it 240 to to rectify if it doesnt then act on it.

Thanks

if the panel fails to recognise the fault and the restore then i would be looking at the DW unit and why. i have seen lately we need to update to Telstra sims to stop these faults or update the unit. this is not a direct wireless problem but a 2g problem.
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 28-06-12 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks

i replace all i wrote because somehow i repeated a statemeant already made. Its been my experience to replace either the DW unit with a current model or replace the Sim with a telstra one with a better network. I wish to point out that the 2g network has not much of a life left. Telstra wanted to do away with it a year or few ago so if your sims are 2g they need to be repalced that network is dying !!!
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 28-06-12 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks

Ohh btw to answer why the panel does not recognise the problem i would be asking the techs to check with the manufacturer. my opnion is the panel cant handle it. Actually now i see its a d8 i know it cant handle it!. the d8 was out before the direct wireless system so i suggest that the panel doesnt even know what to look for.
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 28-06-12 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Last sentance

Thanks

Omg really !!!
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 28-06-12 at 02:10 AM. Reason: i know it took me me a while to regognise the system honhestly i didnt see it in the original post

Thanks

Controlroom Op,

See that little "edit" button? Will make it easier to add things you think of to ONE COMMENT after pressing "submit". It's pretty hard to follow otherwise. This isn't Twitter :-)

Quote Originally Posted by controlroom Op View Post
    if your sims are 2g they need to be repalced that network is dying !!!
    Putting a 3G SIM in a device which only has a 2G GSM module is unlikely to have the desired effect. It would be like putting a Porsche badge on your Datto or an Inner Range sticker on a C&K panel.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 28-06-12 at 08:47 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

PANDATECH (28-06-12)

Thanks

If the problem is comms failure on the panel then check that you have the panel set for contact ID format and a phone number and account number programmed as if it on PSTN dialup. The panel must want "dial" the GPRS DTU.
    SCSI now have a 3G DTU available, most likey yours is 2G (check serial number on unit) then the only option is Optus Vs Telstra 2G networks.

Thanks

If the signal is going to the control room and the panel is still showing a fault it is a problem with the panel. Some of the older panels just aren't compatible with Direct Wireless. The panel may need to be upgraded to something that will "hear" the kiss off via the DW unit.

Thanks

Default Tecom and Telstra Secure

The combination of these two devices can be an issue. The Challenger sends too many alarms to the Wireless box, and it overloads. We get a comms failure on the Challenger.
    The CMS gets some signals, but not all, and these missing signals can take several minutes to finally get through.
    So, the wireless network is just not fast enough to handle multiple alarms!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hound-Dog View Post
    The combination of these two devices can be an issue. The Challenger sends too many alarms to the Wireless box, and it overloads. We get a comms failure on the Challenger.
    The CMS gets some signals, but not all, and these missing signals can take several minutes to finally get through.
    True that - but Telstra Secure have a notice on that - a setting (in the Ultralink) needs changing from 450ms to 1000ms for some particular versions of Challenger. i.e. Challenger very percise on the timingings required - something that can be off in the cellular world?

• The Following User Says Thank You to pca15 For This Useful Post:

Hound-Dog (02-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Controlroom Op,

See that little "edit" button? Will make it easier to add things you think of to ONE COMMENT after pressing "submit". It's pretty hard to follow otherwise. This isn't Twitter :-)

Putting a 3G SIM in a device which only has a 2G GSM module is unlikely to have the desired effect. It would be like putting a Porsche badge on your Datto or an Inner Range sticker on a C&K panel.
    You mean I should take the Porsche badge off my 120Y? (It works wonders with the . . L A D I E S !)

Re the OP - ask the cms if the signal is coming from primary or secondary transmitter.
    If it is primary then all ok on comms and fault possibly an old one that may need to be cleared at the keypad.

If signal is coming from back-up unit possibly have a fault. If the problem is not obvious (,ie;unplugged panel, cancelled phone number, IT works on site - you'd be amazed at how many times the IT person has not been aware and interrupted alarm comms), then its time for a tech.

Thanks

You sure those L A D I E S aren't rebadged?

Have a nice weekend...

Thanks

Default d8

Hi Guys,

I'm upgrading to a new 16 Zone PCB, this has a newer firmware version so hopefully it will resolve the issues,

I will post back.

Thanks

Anyone heard the story about the IP monitoring product connected to an ATM which was apparently polling away quite happily even though the ATM had actually been pulled out of the wall and driven away?

Most of the IP vendors seem to trash their competitors, but that story has to take the cake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hound-Dog View Post
    Thats a timing issue with the challenger panel mate, id be talking to DW about this and having it rectified ASAP, your leaving clients in a potential bad state.
    No panel should show "report fail"

I believe DW's answer to this was to acknowledge the alarms local.. IMO thats a BAD idea, alarms should be acknowledged only when the control room has received the event.