Thread: NSW licencing requirements

Thanks

Default NSW licencing requirements

Hi folks

I live in the UK and am migrating to Australia at the end of August on a partner visa with permanent residency (my wife is a citizen).

I have twenty-five years experience in the electronic security industry and so hope to continue in Australia.

I understand the main hurdle to obtaining a class 2F licence is the requirement for citizenship or permanent residency, however looking at the NSW Police website it also says I should be able to provide copies of:-

"Certificate of Completion of a relevant Security Course (PLUS proof of completion of the required Units of Competency) from an approved Registered Training Organisation"

This is a fairly vague statement and I am having trouble finding any more specific information as to what a relevant security course may be.

I don't have much on paper, I have a City and Guilds certificate from twenty odd years ago somewhere and I am Lenel Silver certified. I daresay I could come up with some more training certificates none of which would be from an approved RTO.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by leighw64; 02-07-12 at 04:46 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Welcome to the state of vague laws. I am guessing that a statement from your current employer would probably do the job. I think your main concern will be the Aust Standards & the ACMA cabling endorsments.

Thanks

Dey took er jerbs!

Everything is likely to change between now and the end of the year given recent amendments to the NSW Security Industry Act to come into effect soon.

The 2F class will be deprecated and replaced by the existing 2C. As it currently stands, you can simply apply for that and you'll get it (subject to usual residency, criminality checks etc.)

My gut feel is there will be no specific training requirements e.g. a Certificate II in Whatever, as it's too hard to specify given the wide variety of skills, backgrounds, training institutions etc. As you identified, it is hard to define "relevant".

In any case, a licence is simply that. It is not a qualification, nor is it necessarily the sole credential you will require. Watchdog's comments apply.

My advice would be to wait until you have the residency in hand and then see what the requirements are at that time.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise anyone had replied I was expecting an email when someone did, oh well nevermind : )

Well I made it here and am about to apply for the 2F licence, will post outcome for completeness.