Thread: PTA camera

Thanks

Default PTZ camera

I am looking for a second camera and I have seen some Ptz cameras for around 500 to 600 dollars. Are Ptz cameras worth it?
    Last edited by Two89w; 06-07-12 at 04:28 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Was at a trade show in NZ a few years back, there was the product below.

Atlas Gentech in NZ sell it, don’t know of anyone in OZ.

My opinion Digital PTZ is the way to go, record 360 degree action, not just the place the PTZ is currently pointing at. For home use, a PTZ on a guard tour generally misses the event you actually want to record. For commercial use, the security guard is usually zoomed in on the attractive woman bent over picking up her shopping.

For facial recognition, a good mega-pixel camera at the entry point of the building is good.

Everything depends on the purpose of the cam.

There are lots more knowledgeable people on this forum then myself, sure they will give advice.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

PTZ cameras chew up huge amounts of space on your HDD. If you have T/bs of storage its probably not too much of an issue.

Thanks

Whilst a PTZ may appear to be a fantastic option, in reality, they're often more trouble than they're worth in a domestic environment given that you're bound to miss things you want to see and will ulitimately wish you had several fixed cameras doing the job instead.

The other issue is that of privacy. You wouldn't (I hope you wouldn't) approach your neighbours windows and peep inside. The same applies to PTZ cameras. You're not allowed to manipulate it in such a way that you infringe upon the privacy of other premises within it's field of view. Even if it's unintentional or the camera simply has the capacity to do so, you could be left having to remove the camera and have some interesting explaining to do. You should also check with your local council/shire as to whether or not they'll allow the installation of such a device in residential areas. Some councils/shires will tell you a straight up no.

In short, you're best to do away with the 'gadget' in favour of something that's a little more functional.

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    PTZ cameras chew up huge amounts of space on your HDD. If you have T/bs of storage its probably not too much of an issue.
    With the default storage capacity of most DVRs off the shelf these days, I don't see it as a concern these days.

Thanks

Definitely not peeping, about 18 months ago we had a disagreement with a neighbours across the road and upon their request we agreed not to have anything to do with each other. Since that day I have had my car egged and damaged, the kids trampoline net ripped, fence broken, empty cans of beer over my fence, I came back from holidays and my grass driven on and ripped up.....he drives light truck.

Any way now this is why I need a second camera. What dome camera can I get with zoom and focal length adjustment ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Two89w View Post
    Definitely not peeping, about 18 months ago we had a disagreement with a neighbours across the road and upon their request we agreed not to have anything to do with each other. Since that day I have had my car egged and damaged, the kids trampoline net ripped, fence broken, empty cans of beer over my fence, I came back from holidays and my grass driven on and ripped up.....he drives light truck.
    There are some things that only a punch in the head will fix unfortunately.