Thread: Issue with SED-64

Thanks

Default Issue with SED-64

I have a SED-64 attached to a solution 16. I have naked dsl so the sed is the only dialer. I wanted to change from Telstra to optus as call rates on the telstra prepaid sim have changed to 60sec billing wasting money etc etc. So when I put the optus sim in everything looks good except for when I do a test dial.

A normal test dial goes something like this (when listening in on the call) ring ring a couple of beeps from the base DTMF tones from alarm beeps from base call is hung up test OK.

With the optus sim this happens. ring ring a couple of beeps from base station DTMF tones from alarm, pause DTMF tones pause DTMF tones pause hang up test fails. Is there any reason that optus sim would fail ?? seems to be that it might not be passing the DTMF tones but don't see why it shouldn't??

Any help would be great.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Sounds like it's not getting the kissoff from the base.

Thanks

Yes but why?? It gets the initial beeps but never the kiss off. It's like the base does not get the CID?? even tho you can hear it being sent down the line?? So what is up with the optus network then that would make a difference?? The manual said something about the number might be being routed and I should asked for another number, does this sound correct.

Thanks

in the past we have use the main number not the 1345, thats get redirect to main number

• The Following User Says Thank You to sirporky For This Useful Post:

pca15 (06-08-12)

Thanks

I'll get that number from them and see how I go with that.

Thanks

It's either timing (delay caused by network) or compression on the Optus network. I'm going with compression. In essence, you're using the Optus voice network. They'll no doubt compress the voice data sent across the network to save bandwidth. The method/quality of the compression/decompression process will vary between networks hence results will vary. What's happening here is the overly compressed and quickly transmitted DTMF tones are not being reproduced within tolerance of the control rooms receiver hence they're not being recognised and you're getting no kiss off.

Either switch back to Telstra or better yet, upgrade to current technology as in Telstra Secure or similar offerings from other providers.
    Last edited by Drift; 04-08-12 at 10:08 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

pca15 (06-08-12)

Thanks

had many a issue with the sed gsm on optus sims, work a lot better on telstra but still not perfect, I think the old gsm backup is nearing its end with the amount of traffic on the mobile networks these days

Thanks

Sending DTMF over the mobile network or a VOIP line is akin to sending a fax via your CB radio. Yes, it can probably be done but why would you bother?

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

pca15 (06-08-12)

Thanks

Yes but what are the costs going to be to switch over to an ip solution one that will use both my home interwebs and a mobile data backup?? A couple of the solutions seem to be all inclusive in terms of costs ie no actuall data sim charges like ADT IP Connect or Emizon 21.

Looks like it will be about $50 a month for monitoring using one of these solutions unless I am mistaken, this without device purchase and then install.

Also what options do I have in terms of devices that will fit into current solution 16 install??

PS chears for you help as well
    Last edited by mejutty; 05-08-12 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

Both Optus and Telstra have compresed their GPRS networks so DTMF over a voice call is not going to be sucessful even the majority of the time - as dan points out - not designed for that purpose... and has gotten alot worse May / June this year as the networks re-farm frequencies and tower space to allow 4G etc footprint improvements. Happened a few years back with the VOIP Optus boxes that people had where they were on Cable etc and the codec did not deal with the spaces in the signals as required and needed (as much as the tone itself) in the transmission!!

Various of the Cellular IP solutions will fit in the alarm panel box and be powered from the panel - and indeed some of them have a flat fee so you are not exposed to the call costs if you get a larger than normal number of signals going through. I think I have also seen pricing around $50 (dual path?) but you can get lower for a single path phone line (or GSM) replacement.
    What does your current control room offer as a single path phone line replacement - you at least know them... Telstra Secure (as mentioned above) has a "GPRS Lite" (sends the CID transmission on GPRS data channel as IP) and powered from panel...
    Last edited by pca15; 06-08-12 at 09:38 AM. Reason: grammer :)