Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: TV Plus information thread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Any satellite decoder that can receive FTA channels will be suitable.

I would however recommend one that is also capable of decoding DVB-S2 which many transmissions are switching over to.

A cheap Satellite receiver such as the will work fine.

Naturally, you would need to realign your dish to point to the Optus D2 satellite.

For IPTV advice, please post in the IPTV section.

Thanks

thanks mtv...realigning my dish,previous owner of my house had foxtel channels, is that means that dish is already aligned to OptusD2 or not? do you know?because when I type my address the green line matches with the dish that I have on top of my roof in same direction.
    Last edited by rainman; 16-04-16 at 06:11 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Foxtel transmits its satellite channels from Optus C1/D3 located at 156 degrees east longitude.

Therefore, if your dish was used for Foxtel and it hasn't been moved since installation, it should still be aligned to 156 degrees east.

Optus D2 is located at 152 degrees east, therefore your dish will need to be adjusted 4 degrees west of its current position.

The dish elevation will need to be increased a little as Optus D2 is slightly higher (1.5 degrees) in elevation than Optus C1/D3 (i.e. slightly tilt the dish upwards).

IMPORTANT: BEFORE you make any dish adjustments, mark the current azimuth and elevation positions on the dish mount so that you can restore the dish to its previous position if necessary in the future.

In case you are not familiar with the terminology, azimuth refers to horizontal movement (left/right); elevation refers to vertical (up/down) movement.

Marking it thus, also gives you a (known) reference position as you will probably take a while to make your adjustments.

When making the adjustments you will need to use either a satellite meter or a suitable satellite receiver tuned to a strong signal on Optus D2 in order to maximise the signal strength and quality.

LNB skew can remain the same as it is now (provided it hasn't been changed from the original position set for Foxtel reception).

A SEARCH of this section of the forum will lead you to many threads giving additional information regarding satellite dish alignment should you need it.

All satellite positions and transponder loading can be viewed at lyngsat.com and selecting (firstly) the (Asia/Pacific) region and then (secondly) the longitude/satellite of interest.

Edit:

I checked my satellite receiver several minutes ago and TRT Turk is still actively transmitting, free-to-air as listed at the Lyngsat website, Optus D2, 12608, H, 3/4, 22500.

I have excellent reception on a 90cm offset dish.
    Last edited by tristen; 17-04-16 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added reception detail for TRT Turk.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17),mtv (17-04-16)

Administrator
    Thanks

The 'green line' you are referring to I assume you are talking about as shown on dishpointer.com

Try comparing the position of the line when selecting Optus C1/D3 and then selecting Optus D2.

You should see a slight difference in direction and the alignment figures will be different, as tristen has explained above.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17)

Thanks

thanks alot tristen and mtv awesome info..thanks again.

Thanks

I don't have a satellite meter is it possible to make the adjustment by hand.would it cost much to buy a satellite meter? I am sorry for all those questions but I have no idea,if I buy the satellite meter,how do I use it?

Administrator
    Thanks

You can't align a dish without being able to see a signal displayed, as it's impossible to tell otherwise.

There are few different types of satellite meters available.

Some only display signal strength via a moving needle or an LCD bar graph, other display signal strength and signal quality, either with LCD bar graphs, or as numbers displayed.

Signal quality is very important, as it determines the reliability of reception, so you should only use a meter that has a signal quality display.

Better meters allow you to program satellite transponder information into them, just like you would do with a receiver, so only the selected satellite will show readings, as most meters will show readings when it 'sees' signal from any satellite, which can easily confuse you if you are pointing at a different satellite than the one you want.

Basically, the tuning principle for all types of meters is the same.... you set the dish up with the approximate settings for azimuth and elevation (and LNB skew) then very slowly move the dish back and forth horizontally and vertically, until you get the strongest reading.

Some meters are battery powered, but most get their power from the receiver.

The meter connects in the coax line between the LNB and the receiver.

Naturally, self-powered meters don't require a connection to a receiver, just to the LNB.

You can do exactly the same thing just by using a satellite receiver, as they all have a tuning/signal display.... but... you MUST be able to see the TV screen from the dish, while you make the adjustments. This is where a small hand-held meter if far more convenient to use.

Some examples of sat meters .

I would not recommend the one on the right, as it has no signal quality scale.

The one in the centre has several satellites already programmed into it... the one on the left is excellent for VAST/Foxtel, as it only has C1/D3 programmed, so the centre one would be the most suitable.

For the cost of a decent 'simple' meter, if you are not planning to use it much, it may be easier to have a professional installer (or someone experienced with their own meter) to align your dish for you.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17),tristen (17-04-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

One piece of advise is do NOT alter the angle of the Mast under any circumstances, it MUST remain Vertical or it will throw out any adjustments.

Apart from clearly marking the Dish elevation and azimuth as Tristen advises before doing any changes, only move the dish in MM each time as the settings are critical.

An experienced installer can set both angles at once with one eye closed standing on one leg singing 'Signal, wherefore art thou' but mug amateurs (ME, ME, ME) need to do everything one step at a time VERY slowly.............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17)

Thanks

Does anyone know the new Ku band frequency (& symbol rate, fec etc) if changed for RTPi through TV PLUS?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I was checking channels yest as the greek channels were down as mum is in hospital and was trying to have it on for my father as i dont watch tvplus.
    I came across 4 sports channels called arena and don't know what language it was but to my surprise a little further and i noticed SKY 1 2 and 3? Again don't know what language it was. So do this sky channels show live English premier league?

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have the SatKing SK500 and found it works very well once you put your parameters in,I aligned a satellite from zero to full signal in less than 2 mins. It is battery powered, a great little unit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17)

Thanks

Bit of a bump, does anybody know if TVPlus works with an Irdeto CAM?
    Looking to pay for the service for my grandparents but, I don't want to pay them $300 for some pile of crap receiver if I can just give them my spare Vu+ or something better.

Seems to indicate it worked when it was on Pas8
    Last edited by nullb; 01-05-18 at 05:35 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

The TVPlus receiver is supplied as part of the contract.

I understand the smartcard and decoder are paired (eg: like Foxtel) so third party decoders don't work.

Premium Member

Thanks

Is there anyone offering a subscription TV service today where the customer supplies the STB and the Company the SMART card or are they all now like Foxtel and VAST with the STB and SMART card 'paired'?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The TVPlus receiver is supplied as part of the contract.

I understand the smartcard and decoder are paired (eg: like Foxtel) so third party decoders don't work.
    Ughhhh whyyy they aren't protecting anything unique, they just re-stream freely available web streams.

I'm going to contact them and find out more that's just unacceptable I wanted to put a UltraPlus at their place so they could get the Multi-Stream stuff on I19 as well.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nullb View Post
    Ughhhh whyyy they aren't protecting anything unique, they just re-stream freely available web streams.
    If that's the case, just use an IP box.

Thanks

Would if I could but their internet connection can't handle it, and no way they'll learn how to work a kodi box haha

I'll find out more and come back to you guys, seems like it worked in the past one can only hope it still works now.

Administrator
    Thanks

TVPlus changed from MPEG2 to MPEG4 in 2013.

Prior to the change you could use any decoder.

They then introduced their own decoder a few years later.

One reason companies do this is so there is only one product they need to provide support for.

Thanks

Guess that makes sense, they're testing HVEC as well. It is nice to see people using only one codec and resolution. But they've crammed so much into their transponders, the quality is truly terrible lol

Premium Member

Thanks

You say much or all of what they supply is only rebroadcast FTA material which they cant charge for but this is like Water.
    Water is FREE but what your paying your supplier for is the collection and distribution.
    Your quite welcome to stand outside and collect your own for nothing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-05-18)

• Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546 LastLast