Thread: IP Monitoring Perth

Thanks

Unhappy IP Monitoring Perth

Hi Guys,

Have sorta asked this question before, but there was a bit of confusion, I have a Tecom V8 with a TS0099 Enhanced IP Interface, I want my monitoring centre to monitor via the TS0099 over the internet with fall over to the PSTN.

I have contacted my Monitoring Centre and they advised that this it not possible and I need to buy a GPRS Device for $495.00 Inc GST. They didn't mention if there are any additional call/data costs.

I also have been given a Sec.Eng SED-61 GSM Box, that may be ok, but would prefer to do it over the internet with PSTN fall over.

Can anyone advise if the TS0099 is able to be used, or do I need to go GPRS and if someone is using IP Monitoring with a TS0099 can they recommend a Perth Monitoring centre that knows what I am talking about.

Many Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

As far as I am aware and according to DAS that is perfectly fine and can be done with relative ease. I am not an alarm tech, so do not take my word for it, I only work in a control room, I will however ask one of our senior techs first thing monday if no one on these forums have answered your query.

We have a number of clients reporting via IP with pstn backup but none using a tecom panel, this of course does not mean anything as generally the tecoms are for bigger sites, and these sites usually go GPRS for insurance reasons.

-Adrian

• The Following User Says Thank You to Adro For This Useful Post:

retzlaff (18-08-12)

Thanks

There are few standards for "IP Monitoring" and every panel vendor seem to have their own system. To monitor them often requires a specific receiver and any smart monitoring centre isn't going to integrate a new receiver unless there is a genuine business case for doing so.

Internet in this country is fairly flakey, so "IP only" usually referring to a wired internet connection only (i.e. no GPRS alternate path) is in my opinion not reliable yet except for a handful of commercial users with a datacentre and multiple Internet connections. The standard 'dual path' approach is still the best way to go, i.e. IP/GPRS or Dual-Sim GPRS (or if you're in a great area single-SIM).

A PSTN backup is in my opinion false economy. At best, you're paying money for a phoneline and call charges that would otherwise be implicit to the IP monitoring system e.g. Permaconn, Emizon, Telstra Secure etc. At worst, if the line is cut as well as losing PSTN you may also lose your Primary path if it comes in the same way for example an ADSL connection.

The TS0099 is mainly used on-site and I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually monitoring it, and if so why...

Eventually I'm sure the American vendors will agree on a standard protocol, perhaps thanks to SIA or CSAA but until then we're going to have to rely on third-parties. I expect if you talk to the right people at DAS they'll refer you to Telstra Secure which they also administer.

[Note: Yes, I know that GPRS is also an IP Service and the terms are incorrectly used by a lot of people who use "IP" to refer to the Ethernet connection. I am just continuing the terrible trend]

Also, why does the monitoring centre need to be in Perth? You know you aren't paying by the kilometer, right?
    Last edited by downunderdan; 18-08-12 at 03:24 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

pca15 (20-08-12),retzlaff (19-08-12)

Thanks

The TS0099 is used to monitor CID over IP, but only really in large organisations which self monitor. It communicates to the SecureStream product which also allows extended messages and the ability to upload/download from the panel into it's own database. The system has the ability to monitor over encrypted IP and then failover to PSTN if necessary. It can do this while also talking to management software.

The SecureStream receiver outputs contact ID to standard automation software. There are a number of organisations using this solution in Australia.

I don't know of any monitoring stations providing this option to the public. There are some that use it, but only when providing a dedicated service to a particular end user.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DIYfan For This Useful Post:

retzlaff (19-08-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DIYfan View Post
    The TS0099 is used to monitor CID over IP, but only really in large organisations which self monitor. It communicates to the SecureStream product which also allows extended messages and the ability to upload/download from the panel into it's own database. The system has the ability to monitor over encrypted IP and then failover to PSTN if necessary. It can do this while also talking to management software.

The SecureStream receiver outputs contact ID to standard automation software. There are a number of organisations using this solution in Australia.

I don't know of any monitoring stations providing this option to the public. There are some that use it, but only when providing a dedicated service to a particular end user.
    Large number of Challengers accross sites that sit on a WAN = SecureStream option - added bonus is that the Challengers are polled/supervised.

All the Secure Stream monitored scenarios that I have come accross have large numbers of challengers within a highlevel WAN - some including a leg to the control room where the SecureStream Servers sit connected to the control room showing as an extra pair Recievers.

As Dan is suggesting above these large multi site have gotten rid of the line cost & call cost plus risk of PSTN as they have VOIP for normal phones anyway for the same reasons. Indeed most have some form of back up on the WAN or Cellular Dialler or Cellular IP monitoring path also.

SecureStream servers come at a cost for the box then licences for the number of sites.
    Last edited by pca15; 20-08-12 at 09:15 AM.