Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&K 238 Bringing an unused systemback to life

Thanks

Default C&K 238 Bringing an unused systemback to life

We moved into a home with a C&K 238 alarm but never used it. About 4 years ago in the middle of the night the alarm went off. I eventually managed to shut it up by turning off the mains electricity, forcing open the control box and removing the battery. It hasn't been touched since.
    I now want to start using it and have purchased a replacement battery. I fitted it and turned on the mains closed the control box but:
    - Power, Trouble lights alternate flashing
    - Ready comes on and off periodically
    - Zone three lights periodically
    After reading a few posts I have decided to disconnect the battery again and switch off at the mains. I am charging the battery and wonder if any kind person can advise the staps I need take to bring my alarm system back to life.
    Thank you

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Do you have access to any explosives or steam-powered catapults?

Seriously. The battery you purchased is worth more than that system fully operational. When you originally forced open the box and removed that battery, you should have kept going and removed the rest of it as well.

If you love your family, replace it.

Do you love your family, Minkybike? Do you?
    Last edited by downunderdan; 25-08-12 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

Why do you feel that this burglar system should be replaced. On the face of it all I did was turn it off and remove the battery. I would have thought that it would still be OK to get going again.

Thanks

Also when you say replace it, how much of the system would think needs replacing?
    - Keypad
    - Control box
    - room detectors
    Thanks

Thanks

Probably the whole lot considering how old those systems are.

Thanks

OK I understand that would e the ideal ... however, if I just want to have a crack at getting it going is there anybody who can advise how to do this.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Minkybike View Post
    OK I understand that would e the ideal ... however, if I just want to have a crack at getting it going is there anybody who can advise how to do this.

Cheers
    Have a look carefully and you might see the letters D N R written on this dinosaur. If you can't find them, write it on yourself and then call someone to give you a quote to replace it.
    More than likely you might be able to re-use the plug pack, sirens, strobe and sensors as well as your new battery. That will be determined by a tech after inspection.
    After 4 years something obviously has changed in your life that you now require a working system, so do yourself a favour and get it done by someone that knows what they are doing.
    Last edited by bss904; 25-08-12 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spellling

Thanks

More e-waste eh! DTR label! WTF lol. ICFBT.

BTW Nothing has changed in my life ... I do love my family!

I was hoping to get some technical advice and not counselling! I must have joined the wrong forum. Ha ha.

I really am only doing this to see if I can get it working. We have large dog who lives in doors and he is far more of a deterrent than the alarm.

So if there is anybody who is prepared to let me be the judge of whether or not this is worth doing can they please give some technical advice. FGS

BFFE

Thanks

Thanks

Gulargambone, Western Plains, NSW, Australia.
    Thanks

I often wonder just how many real technicians there are in here, not just tear it out types.
    Why is it that whenever someone mentions an older system, the response is rip and replace.
    Minky has simply asked for a solution to an obviously technical problem, which one would hope is not beyond anyone.
    A system is NOT necessarily buggered just because it's old.
    Unfortunately it's been too long since I did any service work on a 238, but I do remember them as a good panel.
    To quote some wise old mentor, I've probably forgottem more than most of you blokes will ever know.
    There, that should stir things up a bit, so hopefully someone will come to their senses and help Minky with his problem.
    Like I said, it's been too long for me to remember much about these panels plus a bit of old fart's memory. If it ain't broke, just fix it.
    Any customer would be more impressed with someone who puts in some effort rather than take the easier way out.
    Don't be too quick to dismiss conspiracy theories.
    Remember that EVERYTHING that has EVER been discovered
    started somewhere as a THEORY!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to muddy0409 For This Useful Post:

noRbackwards (07-08-16)

Thanks

Muddy,

I generally take the view "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However there are reasons to upgrade which go well beyond "latest/greatest".

a) Some panels, detectors and the underlying installations were broke the day they went in. (Cough...C&K...Cough)
    b) It is worth replacing old detectors for no other reason than false alarm reduction. The cheapest detector you can buy today is orders of magnitude more reliable than the most expensive gear from 10 years ago. Reasonably priced better gear many more times so. As a matter of course, I would replace any detector more than 5 years old without hesitation.
    c) Modern features (including a number of those under the hood) offer a substantially higher level of safety, security and reliability. Whilst the naive user may think theirs system "ain't broke" there is a very good chance it is, or will be and in many cases without an obvious failure such as a "fault" light.

That is why smart techs will often advocate ripping out old crap. Not because they couldn't get it running - they could. But the costs involved make it seriously bad economy to waste time/money/effort on a system which at best will be third-rate. Particularly if you can reuse cabling. The parts are inexpensive and you know it.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 25-08-12 at 08:29 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

caffiend (02-08-16)

Thanks

OK so an old 22" B&W television breaks down. Can I get it repaired? I think not! It is time to buy a new Colour television. The same thing applies to your security system. You could spend money getting this C&K back online, only to have something else fail, e.g. a PIR.
    If you are determined to stay with the C&K, try powering it up, and then hit * 1 #. That should clear the previous alarms. If the service light stays on, it may be because the battery needs charging, or the telephone line is disconnected.
    Here is the manual if you still want it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Hound-Dog For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (27-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

There are certain things in life worth restoration, a C&K is not one of them...

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

AdRock (29-08-12)

Thanks

I am too scared to ask for help on the same system!

Thanks

Try the *64# command, that sorts the low battery fault. you will still have to determine the cause of the alarm, maybe the panel tamper?

Thanks

Also what is zone 3?, is that flashing while you move in front of a sensor of by itself?

Banned
    Thanks

This is like resusitating a dead zombi. You should be rejoicing in the street not trying to bring it back to life!

Thanks

Like a beloved pet, it's ok to put a C&K to sleep if it's suffering as this one appears to be. Don't put it through any more misery.

Thanks

Talking for learning exp and home use not for keeping things safe

hi form i live in Canada and have a c&k 238 system with out user codes and the default install code does not work i know most of you think this system is shit but don't worry i am not using it for my house to keep it safe i will not be hocking it up to monitoring service it is more for testing learning exp so forth i am a learning locksmith and alarm system installer any help would be great sorry if this is not the right spot to post new to this site thanks kindhop

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast