Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Fans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Ya know... I actually wouldn't have been too sad to see Clara leave in this episode, I was even a little disappointed when she back-flipped at the end of the show.

Seems to me like something may have been going on behind the scenes, maybe Jenna Coleman was squeezing them for more money and they decided to show her she's not quite as indispensable as she might think?

How long after a regeneration does the old "companion" usually stick around?

Andrew
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 13-10-14 at 05:43 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

It was my impression from the previous story lines the 'Clara' was to be the Doctors companion who also 'regenerated' because all his past ones had a finite life and aged to eventually die no matter how devious and cunning you could be with Time Travel.
    In a few past scripts, I am sure the Doctor of the time commented on that situation when things looked liked getting 'Touchy Feely' with the then current piece of eye candy so they could 'hose down the hormones'.
    Now whether 'Clara' was to retain the same image continuously or to do as the Doctor does by changing his appearence when he regenerates I wasnt too clear on as Clara is a sort of a late addition to the stable of characters.

Apart from as Bigfella237's thoughts she might have been trying for more money, there is always the problem for many actor/actress' of being typecast in such long running popular shows and as she is fairly young, if this were to happen it would spell the end of any career she may hope to have.
    Lots of children have had that happen as they grew in adults and no one would hire them based on their childhood appearances.
    Women have it much harder than men in the aging process as they only have a very narrow 'window' of beauty whereas Men just seem to age and on them its accepted as 'maturing'.
    I was watching 'Harry Potter' (Danial Radcliffe) recently and thought that although he has appeared in other projects , if typecasting was a problem he has the money from the Harry Potter series to buy himself out of that situation should it occur but not many actors have that luxury.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-10-14 at 05:00 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-10-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post

How long after a regeneration does the old "companion" usually stick around?

Andrew
    There seems no obvious pattern, some do & some don't stay on.

Some don't even stay with one Doctor for an entire series.

Sarah Jane Smith hung around for too long, I couldn't stand here constant screaming.

This list is companions grouped by Doctor. It is interesting.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (14-10-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

As Tiny says, each 'Companion' only really seems to be a 'One Night Stand' to pad out the episode but as each story line is as 'long as a piece of string', they appear and disappear at will.
    While most of the 'Companions' have been down right 'beddable' (even those that arent are better than none at all) Doctor Who it is after all originally a children's show and that part of life really doesnt fit into its perceived audience.

Another problem is that who says the Doctor must always 'regenerate' in human 'Male' form ???

What a 'Pandora's Box' would that open if one day the Doctor 'regenerates' into a Female form and the current 'Companion' is also currently in female form??

Not only would that shake the old TARDIS a bit but I dont think we're ready for that concept just yet either........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That concept has been explored in Star Trek DS9, gordon, with Dax having been a male in a previous generation. The only difference being, that we were never really introduced to the male version. A female Doctor may not necessarily be to far out there if they can find an appropriate female actor for the part. It could make for some interesting plot lines. Especially considering the Doctor's history.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That concept has been explored in Star Trek DS9, gordon, with Dax having been a male in a previous generation. The only difference being, that we were never really introduced to the male version. A female Doctor may not necessarily be to far out there if they can find an appropriate female actor for the part. It could make for some interesting plot lines. Especially considering the Doctor's history.
    I had forgotten about that premise in DS9 but look how they had to pad around that when there was any inference of heavy breathing and petty fingering between the characters.....................

I wasnt bothered by the possibility of a Female Doctor at all but what the ramifications would be if there was a current Female companion...........do we share lippy on the view screen and who has first rights to the bathroom?

Thanks

Well at least they've answered the question of whether a time lord can change gender when regenerating!

They didn't announce anything after the screening but this two part episode had a kind of 'end-of-season' feel to it?

Andrew

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-11-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes end of season, next episode is Christmas Special (no Title as yet).

Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace on earth and goodwill to all men. Unless you’re a certain TARDIS-dwelling Time Lord, in which case the forthcoming festive season is going to be a time of terrifying, slavering beasties.

That is one of the apparent takeaways from a teaser trailer for this year’s special Christmas episode of , which the BBC has released ahead of tonight’s season finale of the long-running British time travel show. In 2014’s Yuletide show, regular Doctor Who cast members Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman are joined by guest stars Michael Troughton (son of Second Doctor Patrick Troughton), Natalie Gumede, Faye Marsay, Nathan McMullen, and Hot Fuzz star Nick Frost, who is playing a certain Mr S. Claus.
    You can see the teaser trailer for this year’s special Christmas episode of Doctor Who below.
    Warning Spoiler, don't watch if you don't want to know!

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (10-11-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

I have to say that was certainly an innovative way of breaking up with a boyfriend (Danny Pink) is to have him die, clad him in a tin suit and rocket him into the atmosphere and burn up like a New Years Eve fireworks show.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-11-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Warning Spoiler, don't watch if you don't want to know!
    Eww... Doctor Who meets Alien with a little Ghostbusters rhetoric thrown in for good measure!

Nick Frost seems an odd choice to play Santa, but I bet he'll find a way to get up to some mischief somehow... I can hardly wait to see it.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Christmas Special, ABC Friday 26th 7:30 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (20-12-14),Bigfella237 (20-12-14),gordon_s1942 (20-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Well at least they've answered the question of whether a time lord can change gender when regenerating!
    That question was !

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

efab (24-12-14),iwacelect (28-12-14),OSIRUS (20-12-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

just watched 'an adventure in time and space'.......

its been out for ages, but just got round to watching it.

bbc special on the creation of the original series, focusing on verity lambert and william hartnell.
    excellent recreations of the original cybermen, daleks, tardis etc.

well worth a watch.....

Premium Member

Thanks

During the week I saw part of a late 50's UK movie and it wasnt until near the end I realised one of the characters was William Hartnell playing the part of an Army Sgt Major, even his voice didnt stir the memory until near the end.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yes, Hoe, I agree, adventure in time and space was a pretty good re-creation. In the last 12 months I think I've watched just about every episode ever produced, including the odd movie.

Premium Member

Thanks

I quite enjoyed watching 'An Adventure in Time and Space' again on the creation of what went from a little children's TV show to a major world wide hit.
    I hope what we saw was a reasonable recreation of those events and not like the recent Walt Disney film called 'Saving Mr Banks' purporting to be the story on how Disney talked the writer of Mary Popins into selling him the story and making it into a film.

The almost last scene made 50 years ago showing William Hartnell saying his goodbyes as The Doctor farewelling those he had traveled with as he and they moved out to follow their own destinies was soooo sad as we know now just was that future was.

In 50 years we have seen many 'Regenerations', some good, some great and others easily forgotten but William Hatnell will alway be 'The Doctor' because he was the first and made the mold for others to fit and follow.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-12-14 at 06:41 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

So Gordon, what about the Christmas Special last night?
    Did you watch it?

Or are you stuck in a dream within a dream like I've always thought I am?
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-12-14 at 06:56 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Yes Tiny I saw it and its one of those story's that were popular some years ago when the question was posed asking are we really what we think we are, are we here, what is real and what isnt ?
    You could earnestly debate this query until like the mythical doo doo bird that flew in ever decreasing circles until it vanished into its own fundament and still be none the wiser.
    But for me, I prefer to believe I am me and its all reality even though my dreams tell me otherwise...............or do they?

Thanks

Gotta love the sleigh alarm... "chirp chirp"!

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'm still to be impressed by the scrip writers for the new series. Too much happening. I also watched the "making" again. I would hope that this is close to the true story, only those who were there could verify that. They certainly did a good job of integrating original and "new" material. The end was well done with the cameo of the, then, doctor, Matt Smith.

As a doctor, I like Peter Capaldi, but, please, give him some decent scripts.

• Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast