Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal downloading not going unnoticed: study

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Default Illegal downloading not going unnoticed: study

Illegal downloading not going unnoticed: study

Just because you not getting any warnings doesn't mean your not going to get caught.

If you have downloaded movies or music from the internet using BitTorrent, it is likely your computer details have been collected.

For those who do not use it, BitTorrent is a quick way of downloading files from a number of sources at one time.

Millions of people around the world use it to get the latest popular films or songs for free, but downloading copyrighted content is illegal, and research shows monitoring groups are watching.

Researchers at the University of Birmingham have identified security firms and copyright-enforcement organisations among 10 different monitoring firms collecting the details of people using BitTorrent.

Neil Gane, the managing director of the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT), which represents the film and television industry, says within hours, monitoring firms record the details of users who download popular content.

"They are independent entities that the entertainment industry could engage and utilise their resources and their software should they wish to pursue this issue in a court or purely to obtain information," he said.

John Lindsay, chief technology officer of iiNet, says copyright owners can request from internet service providers the details of people who have been illegally downloading.

"That has been done quite widely in places like the United States," he said.

"We haven't see it done so significantly in Australia to date, but there's no particular reason why rights holders couldn't do that in Australia right now."

Legal status

Jon Lawrence from Electronic Frontiers Australia, an internet users organisation, says rather than policing, more effort should be put into making content legal.

"We think these organisations... should be focusing more on their business models and making content available to people on a legal basis so that they can then choose not to use BitTorrent to get it," he said.

But Mr Gane says that is already happening.

"They are making a lot more content available across legal services. There are now more than 20 legal services available to Australian consumers," he said.

Mr Lindsay says commercial broadcasters are yet to figure out how to beat illegal downloaders.

"Free-to-air TV in Australia is going to have to adapt because the willingness of consumers to wait around until somebody says, 'oh yes, now you can watch it', feels a little bit too much like being treated as if you're a child," he said.

Mick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (06-09-12)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Just curious, are ISP's still sending out warning notices to users like they were a couple of years ago ? Anyone got one ?

Thanks

Last one I heard of was when a mate got one about 4 years ago from iinet.

What does an ISP think you will do when they offer such a large download cap per month?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Just curious, are ISP's still sending out warning notices to users like they were a couple of years ago ? Anyone got one ?
    A mate got one from Optus Cable, but it was only for leaving his upload at full speed all night and day..... 8 years ago

He tried to tell them to get stuffed and they kindly replied "We know what you're doing... we are just asking you to kurb the uploading".... no more questions asked

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

best4less (06-09-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinger View Post
    What does an ISP think you will do when they offer such a large download cap per month?
    I doubt it's the ISPs that really care about this. It's in their best interest for you to download (using bandwidth = money for them). It's probably pressure from above that forces them to somewhat enforce it.

Thanks

I remember the days when Optus cable first came out and your download usage was measured against the average user. You got a warning for going over x10 the average user download usage and then disconnected once you reached x13. This was measured on a 14 day rolling period. I got disconnected for reaching x14.5 and when I complained about getting no warning (there monitoring system was down at the time) they researched into my history and found out what I was downloading and also I was running an FTP server.

Thanks

I remember the days when Optus cable first came out and your download usage was measured against the average user. You got a warning for going over x10 the average user download usage and then disconnected once you reached x13. This was measured on a 14 day rolling period. I got disconnected for reaching x14.5 and when I complained about getting no warning (there monitoring system was down at the time) they researched into my history and found out what I was downloading and also I was running an FTP server.
    That's actually a good system, at least in principle. But I doubt ISPs would resort to that again since it would likely lose them money. Well of course depending on what the average user actually uses.

Administrator
    Thanks

I use 100's of gigs a month on internet tv, ie, Netflix, Hulu etc. I dont download movies or anything else remotely illegal.

Thanks

Was posting in another thread.
    Last edited by fromaron; 08-09-12 at 11:36 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think you hit the wrong thread fromaron ?

Thanks

Not sure if they are are ever going to be successful in stopping illegal downloading of content , not good for isp"s , why pay for 1T when you cant use it , the isp"s know this so they certainly wont be pursuing it for now.
    Legal authorities rattle chains and kick tyres , need to look like there doing something about it but in the short term nothing will change.

Just my spin on things

JH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I use 100's of gigs a month on internet tv, ie, Netflix, Hulu etc. I dont download movies or anything else remotely illegal.
    I often use the peer to peer Sopcast system which allows you to both view and broadcast TV content for free. P2P is not the culprit, but the use that it is put to and yet I have noticed throttling on many occasions despite a 300GB limit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward View Post
    Not sure if they are are ever going to be successful in stopping illegal downloading of content...
    Statistically and legally that would be very difficult. The following website

shows that there are at least 369 million active users of utorrent and 69 miilion users of bittorent. The authorities would need very large jails to house them all.

What really needs to change is the mindset of the old guard. Their model is based on draconian 20th century methodology, whilst users are well into 21st century technology. Sharing will only get easier.

OC

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward View Post
    Not sure if they are are ever going to be successful in stopping illegal downloading of content , not good for isp"s , why pay for 1T when you cant use it , the isp"s know this so they certainly wont be pursuing it for now.
    Legal authorities rattle chains and kick tyres , need to look like there doing something about it but in the short term nothing will change.

Just my spin on things

JH
    No, things are about to change.
    What Sanity said and since I have my Roku up and running I see no need to bother around with awkward Video downloads any more (that I often did not even end up watching). Gosh even I can afford $8 a month for netflix or Hulu.

With Pandora I get to hear the music I want to hear legally for free and even more that I didn't even know about and the Roku is conveniently connected to my preferred Hi-Fi system, where I can also still enjoy my good vinyls and then enter the bands in Pandora. Tust me this is more fun than downloading.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-10-12 at 09:27 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

i will have too look at this nomeat , you have got me very interested mate.

JH

Thanks

I'm still waiting for changes but still don't see any , people say of a ground swell but I've not seen it , authorities close a few sites but for every site closed there are 20 to take there place.
    Government have dropped filtering , well watered it down I'm lead to believe , the ISP'S will fight this change ( if any ) all the way too the courts as they are the ones that eventually will loose out.
    Changes in the near future ?????? I don't see any , but I've been wrong before.

Cheers

JH

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Excerpt from post #1
    If you have downloaded movies or music from the internet using BitTorrent, it is likely your computer details have been collected.
    Does BitTorrent contain spyware or adware? No, BitTorrent contains no spyware, adware, or any other kind of -ware. Is technically not possible, this because of fact that BitTorrent simply is a protocol that underpins the practice of peer-to-peer file sharing (BitTorrent is used for distributing large amounts of data over the Internet). But of course Torrent-files can be manipulated by supplier in a way, that those execute a Spyware-Installer if downloaded a selfextracting RAR-Package.

Excerpt from
    The file being distributed is divided into segments called pieces. As each peer receives a new piece of the file it becomes a source (of that piece) for other peers, relieving the original seed from having to send that piece to every computer or user wishing a copy. With BitTorrent, the task of distributing the file is shared by those who want it; it is entirely possible for the seed to send only a single copy of the file itself and eventually distribute to an unlimited number of peers.

Each piece is protected by a cryptographic hash contained in the torrent descriptor.[7] This ensures that any modification of the piece can be reliably detected, and thus prevents both accidental and malicious modifications of any of the pieces received at other nodes. If a node starts with an authentic copy of the torrent descriptor, it can verify the authenticity of the entire file it receives.
    See also:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 01-12-12 at 10:55 PM. Reason: See also added

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Excerpt from post #1

Does BitTorrent contain spyware or adware? No, BitTorrent contains no spyware, adware, or any other kind of -ware. Is technically not possible, this because of fact that BitTorrent simply is a protocol that underpins the practice of peer-to-peer file sharing (BitTorrent is used for distributing large amounts of data over the Internet). But of course Torrent-files can be manipulated by supplier in a way, that those execute a Spyware-Installer if downloaded a selfextracting RAR-Package.

Excerpt from

See also:

Do you realize the info collected is your IP address

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    Do you realize the info collected is your IP address
    This is the case with each HTTP-request made. In actual moment AusTech has gathered my IP-address - and probably saved for reasons I currently don't know of. IP-address isn't computer details.
    I repeat, this has nothing to do with "BitTorrent", you headlined. The author of article you quoted didn't know of this, too. At BitTorrent's website you can find a short video which explains "BitTorrent". You all should invest 3 mins and watch it. Perhaps then you got enlightened ...

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    Just because you not getting any warnings doesn't mean your not going to get caught.
    I repeat: This is the case with each HTTP-request made, regardless whether you are using "BitTorrent" or not.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 02-12-12 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    This is the case with each HTTP-request made. In actual moment AusTech has gathered my IP-address - and probably saved for reasons I currently don't know of.
    this is so they can block you if you become too annoying
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

mickstv (02-12-12)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    this is so they can block you if you become too annoying
    Great! Why didn't think of this?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast